Auto-Refresh Still Does Not Work Properly

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Paperboy

Auto-Refresh Still Does Not Work Properly

Post by Paperboy »

Double-clicking on ISO files still does not display the virtual drives on the tree side unless I manually press the F4 key. Please fix this because it is supposed to always display automatically on the tree side like in File Explorer.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto-Refresh Still Does Not Work Properly

Post by admin »

Auto-Refresh will be completely rewritten later this year.

davenovo1

Post by davenovo1 »

Just to add my 2 cents. Auto-refresh is fairly bad in general. If I have a folder displayed in XYPlorer and I copy files into it via any other mechanism, (i.e. by copying files using windows file explorer, or copying files to the location via RDP from another computer) I have yet to ever see XYPlorer refresh.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you sure you turned it on? --> Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Auto-refresh

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Reviving this thread to add that despite having Auto-Refresh enabled, it has never worked for me as well. After copying or downloading files to a folder, I have to move to an alternate folder, then back to see the new files.

I see Don already has some WIP on this so looking forward to a fix
___TUa.png (517 Bytes) Viewed 799 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

F5 should do.

Adequat

Post by Adequat »

Since a couple of weeks, auto refresh does not work all the time. Was something changed? I never had this problem for years. Yes, F5 works, but that's not comfortable at all.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! i have the same problem. i never really had this problem before, but recently is hardly ever works as a whole.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Which kind of events are not auto-refreshed?

2) I assume it's erratic?

3) Could you please check if maybe "View | Suspend Auto-Refresh" is ticked when Auto-Refresh does not work?

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Don
I'm on Win11 and just updated XY to 24.40
Menu
-View | Auto-Refresh-ticked
-View | Suspend Auto-Refresh- not ticked

Configuration
Image.png
Image.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 621 times

I tried to break it a variety of ways:
With XY, I positioned myself in the target folder- first on the local C: drive, then on a network drive
  • With XY, I copied from both a local and network drive source
  • With Win File Manger, I copied from both a local and network drive source
  • I downloaded an image file from Google photos
However, now it consistently refreshes properly.

If the other guys have a different scenario that fails, please post and I'll try it.

GreetingsFromPoland

hi! i can list out the times that i notice when auto-refresh doesn't fully work.
i don't have a specific version when i noticed this happening more often, but i would say it has been more noticeable in the last month.

for all of these "tests" :
-XY is in my main monitor and any external operation is in my secondary monitor (positioned to the left of main)
-XY is setup for dual pane
-all operations are done using the "Default Tab" in each pane
-XYCopy is configured as the copy-handler
-View | Auto-Refresh is CHECKED / View | Suspend Auto-Refresh is UNCHECKED
-Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Always show folder sizes is UNCHECKED
-Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Cache folder sizes is UNCHECKED
-Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Mouse | Allow dragging from a background window in UNCHECKED

1) in XY, i use "Copy Path" from the breadcrumb bar to get current selected folder,
use 7-Zip File Manager to extract archive to pasted path,
extracted files do not show in XY pane until F5
the same applies if i drag-and-drop from outside XY and drop into XY

2) start a download in Firefox, in XY have the Downloads folder open/active (bottom pane),
the partial download appears; however, when the download is complete the partial is still displayed,
F5 shows the completed download

3) in some cases, moving a file from local pane (bottom) to NAS pane (top) only refreshes the local pane (file is removed) but doesn't show it on the NAS pane until F5; however, when done in reverse, e.g. NAS to local, both panes are refreshed correctly

4) if i am copying a large file from a local drive to another local drive, when the destination location is opened in a tab during the copy, the current "copied" amount and file name are displayed; however, when the copy is completed, the "final" file size is not displayed until F5. if the tab was active at the start, it will just show "0 bytes".

5) when moving or copying files from local drive to NAS, the destination doesn't show any evidence that a file is being put there; however, if F5, you'll see the in-progress file (or the safe overwrite temp file) shown

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

@GreetingsFromPoland

I just tried all your scenarios and for me, XY performed as expected, updating source and destination in real-time.

Perhaps there is a difference in our machine configurations; here are what I believe are my relevant attributes:
  • Dell Inspiron laptop, 64bit, 16 GB ram
  • Windows 11 Pro, v22H2
  • XY 24.40
  • ESET Internet Security (AV, firewall, etc)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Same here: no problems.

Not sure what you mean by "XYCopy is configured as the copy-handler". XYcopy is only needed for background operations.

More interesting is whether this is ticked:
Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy

GreetingsFromPoland

hi!
admin wrote: 19 May 2023 11:57 Not sure what you mean by "XYCopy is configured as the copy-handler". XYcopy is only needed for background operations.
for this i mean not using any 3rd party/external copy handlers.
admin wrote: 19 May 2023 11:57 More interesting is whether this is ticked:
Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy
here are my settings under that section:
Image-002.png
Image-002.png (8.28 KiB) Viewed 530 times
i'll keep using as-is and manually refreshing as-needed. thanks everyone for checking.

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

Don

Earlier this year, in this thread you mentioned that the refresh code would be rewritten; is that already complete?
If so, it would explain why my issues were resolved. If not, then it's entirely possible a Windows or Dell update eliminated some type of conflict. Then again, perhaps I haven't precisely recreated the problem scenario.

I work with XY every day, often on 2 different PCs so will return with any new info.

Thanks for your continued follow-up :appl:

(BTW, the board needs an icon like below)
___TU.gif
___TU.gif (329 Bytes) Viewed 522 times
GreetingsFromPoland
Just for purposes of a test, can you confirm your Windows version and that you are using the latest release of XY 24.40 and then try matching your config with mine above?