Few problems when using Xyplorer

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Helix

Few problems when using Xyplorer

Post by Helix »

Hi guys,

just found your tool Xyplorer and I like it but I also found some issues and would like to know how to fix / change them if possible.

1.) Drag & Drop function - The problem I have is that your tool Xyplorer seems to force itself in foreground when I do press the left mouse button and keep it holding down (WM_LBUTTONDOWN) what means that all other app windows going into the background right at that moment. I think this is a bug so I can't imagine that this is made on purpose or? Normally the Xyplorer should NOT bring itself in the foreground when the mouse keys functions (left / wheel / right) are pressed WITHOUT to release the button/s. Also in case when a button / wheel was pressed down (holding it) and then the drag (mousemove) is used then a self bring in front forcing action should not happen. You can try this out with Windows Explorer itself or any other similar tools so they do handle it correctly. Just wonder why you guys did not notice yet and fixed this. Would be nice if you could fix this wrong behavior in your next release because its really bugging me that I can not drag any selected file into any other outside app window (player or editor etc) which is in front and I just can drag it over the taskbar on the other app icon so this is really inconvenient.

2.) Selection function & using the mouse wheel at the same time - Also in this case I see a problem / bug when I try to select any file/s in Xyplorer (press left mouse down and hold it) and trying then to use the mouse wheel to scroll up or down, so right in that moment the selection gets abrogated. So this is also pretty bad because in Windows Explorer & other tools like "Everything by Voidtools" don't do that and keeping the selection on mouse wheel action so that the user can select files go on. All in all I think both operations are bugs or anyone of you Devs didn't notice it yet or whatever but both points should be fixed very soon because they are really annoying. I also tried to find any options in the configuration window about that in your tool but did not found any.

3.) Media Previews - So this is really a PITA in the Xyplorer tool and its not working for me in default state (I'am always using the portable version of Xyplorer) and just get the error info line to see "Playback failed: Automation error" for many extension file types. I tried to check the custom config to add manually some audio/video extensions and giving them the right CLSID value of my "Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler". So in my case I created for testing this command...

Code: Select all

m4a;mp4>{031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}
...to declare my "mp4 video & m4a audio" (container) files. After that I get the video / audio for those both extensions to see in the preview pane using Media Player but one problem is that the preview pane does fill the entire preview background with black color and this does not happen for other file extensions like mp3 which also used the Media Player (I don't need to declare this extension) in the preview pane so there is all shown in gray (default) color. Why is it filled in black color in the background and how to prevent this? Are there any other tools we could use instead of Meida Player and if yes which one? What about other file extensions the Media Player does not support like flv? Is there any way to make the preview work for all desired file extensions (video & audio) and not using the Media Player itself in the preview pane? If we as user must handle this manually then you have to make more detailed infos / tutorials how to make it work for specific extensions with working examples. In my case I try to make it work with all media extensions. As I said before, many are not working in default state like "WMV" which is to find in your config window enabled (and many more) but they are not working but Media Player can play them. Why is it not working in your tool? You have to make it more easier guys. Normal user just wanna use tools without to fight around to find any solutions for problems you Dev guys created and also could prevent. On the other side I would like to ask why you Dev guys don't create your own preview media player? You could implement basic VLC source. Just wanna say that the media preview should work by itself for all media extensions and the user should not handle some stuff like to work with CLSID value manually by itself so this is nothing for normal basic users who just wanna use a ready tool you know. You need to manage that better in the future.

Thats all so far for the moment. So I hope you don't mind guys that I'am talking a little bit cleartext (Klartext). :) I like the Xyplorer tool but its still not perfect yet and needs some fixes / upgrades.

iraisok

Re: Few problems when using Xyplorer

Post by iraisok »

Hi,

I’m not an Administrator at the XYplorer forum. I discovered XYplorer many years ago and bought into a lifetime license after realizing how good it was and is and after having purchased Xplorer2, that in my opinion had issues that the developer said they would not change the program.

i recognize that we each way issues with s/w more important than others. I report issues, learn from others and get answers from others.

I’ll say this - as I got into XYplorer, I realized capability that no other file manager has (and I tried many, free and purchased). Most of it works properly and I love how often it’s updated. XYplorer is what Microsoft file manger never was and never will become.

You might get hooked on XYplorer even with the issues you so kindly described.

Ira

Helix

Post by Helix »

Hi,

as I said before, Xyplorer is a good file manager tool no question of course but not perfect yet and I just found those few issues until now which are really bad and need to be fixed fast as possible. I also tried out few other file manager tools and I found one called "Q-Dir" which is more basic but this tool does handle the drag / drop function correctly (Point 1 of my first post) and even it can and does play the media files in a preview pane by itself without to set any custom CLSID values n'stuff using the Windows Media Player too and another freeware tool called "FastStone Image Viewer" which is more a media explorer has a own build-in player to play media files. Some basic stuff like this I also would expect from "HighEnd" tools like Xyplorer or don't you think? Anyway, so I don't wanna make Xyplorer bad or something so I'am just trying to tell what you need to improve to make improve even better and I hope the Dev guys don't mind if I tell them like this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree 1) and 2) would be nice to have, but 3) surprises me: These file types (mp4, m4a, flv) work here out of the box. But that's probably because of various CODECs I've installed over the years. Can't tell what a virgin Windows system (of whatever version) can do.

... just looked at the code: automatic fallback to {031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27} is in place and working. I wonder what's going wrong on your end.

BTW, I could fix the black background bug. :tup:

Helix

Post by Helix »

Hello admin,

nice to hear that you agree with my points so far and I hope that you can manage it to fix "point 1" really soon so that we can drag & drop files to (visible in front) outside apps what I do very offten. So thats the most disturbing issue the Xyplorer has. The other two points are more optional for me.

About the previews / playing of media files. So I was checking this again some more and found out that I have enabled the option "Preview as Thumbnail" = my fault, sorry about that. I did disable this option and tried using Xyplorer in default state and now I get the previews for most media files but also found some issues I would like to tell you so that you can check and fix them later.

I see that Xyplorer is using two preview pane windows to show/play media files at the bottom or on the right side using Media Player. In most cases the preview at the bottom pane (next to meta tab) is not showing the video itself and just playing the audio of the video what means that video track is missing to show. Also happens on the right preview pane for some files just showing a blue play button and small length bar at the status area and just playing the audio of the video. Otherwise the Media Player is shown on right pane (some files without a preview image like a audio file) and playing the video files. All in all pretty tricky to get it work for all media files but now I tried to install the "LAVFilters-0.77.1-Installer" pack just installing the Splitters itself (x86 & x64) to get the previews working in Xyplorer (for some I need to set the MP CLSID value extra).

I also found some new issue when Xyplorer is using the Media Player to show it on the right pane, in some cases when I click on a video file the Media Player window does not set on the right pane (I have enabled/showing) and does just popup on the left side on desktop and I can minimize Xyplorer and the small Media Player window is still on the desktop area to see. In this case I need to unselect / reselect the file new till the Media Player is showing again correctly on the right pane and inside of Xyplorer itself. Must be some bug you should check for. I think its some wrong handle problem etc.

Next problem I found when Xyplorer is using Media Player and trying to play specific media file that its not working on the first click on the PLAY button in Media Player controls on the right pane preview area & bottom preview area when Media Player is shown (custom CLSID). On first click on play nothing happens and on a second click it works and MP is playing that video file. In my case I was trying to play a FLV video file (after installing LAVFilters spiltters and enabled FLV format and I did set the MP CLSID for flv files in Xyplorer) what makes this double play clicking problem. So when I try to play that FLV file in Meida Player itself then I get first a warning message from WMPlayer about a not supported file extension (flv) etc...(see images below)...with a option that WMP should try to play that video anyway and I press on YES button and then the video is playing in WMPayer. Somehow the WMP is a little bit stupid and show such warning or error message boxes before trying to play that video but then it can play the video. I think this is also the problem in the preview pane of Xyplorer using WMPayer that nothing happens on first click on play button = Error message box of WMP what Xyplorer does not show and on the second click it does work to play it. Would be nice if you could check this problem out a little and trying to fix it.

Thank you for fixing the black background screen of the pewview pane window when using WMP with set CLSID value. Its gone now it the latest version 0300.

I have another small question about Xyplorer and using Tab-Sets / Groups. How to delete a created set? There is no point in the menu to delete any sets and just can do it manually in the folder. So there is a nice Tab-Group Menu / Icon I can choose the open command what then shows a new small window which 2 tab groups are in use (bold) and others I have created etc. So right in this small window you could add another menu point in context menu (select / right mouse) with an delete command. Would be better to delete sets directly in Xyplorer menu without to delete it manually in folder where they are stored. The MRU list of those tabs gets also not updated when I have deleted some tab-sets manually from panes folder. Some reset option would be also nice about that or otherwise I need to delete entire data folder whats not always so good if I want to keep my app settings. Thank you for reading and maybe I could help you a little to show some problems in Xyplorer and getting you on the right track to fix them.

Happy New Year (Ich hoffe das ihr alle auch gut reingerutscht seid)
Attachments
WMP2_2023-01-01_215903.png
WMP2_2023-01-01_215903.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
WMP_2022-12-31_190748.png
WMP_2022-12-31_190748.png (7.24 KiB) Viewed 1475 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI, the Preview Tab and Preview Pane are intended as alternative preview windows. Normally you would only show one of them.

Helix

Post by Helix »

Hello again,

lets talk about the XYplorer lower tab / pane preview area (next to meta tab) again. Problem for me is that I don't get any video preview to see (its playing but no video is to see only seekbar is running) there on my main OS but I get it to see in Windows Sandbox / VirtualBox with installing basic splitter / codec LAV. The whole time I tried to find out what the different is to my main OS where its not working and after long testing I found out that the reason for this problem is my graphic driver. I'am using a older GPU card "NVIDIA GeForce GT 710" and I did uninstall the drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller tool (safe mode) and remove it completely and right after reboot my system was using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver and right with this basic driver XYplorer is working to show / display all videos in the lower pane preview area. But of course I need to install my GPU drivers what I did and right after the fresh installing the video previews in XYplorer are not showing / displaying again. Pretty bad right.

I also tried using other tools like Graphstudionext...

https://github.com/cplussharp/graph-studio-next/releases
...to analyze / see the way what the video files using (spiltter / filter / renderer) to play media files in system default mode. The used system default renderer is called "Video Mixing Renderer" VMR and this renderer is also used by your XYplorer app and showing just blank video. Now if I change this renderer to any other one in the Graphstudionext like "Enhanced Video Renderer" then its working to get the video playing right in Graphstudionext. So it means in my case the used default system video renderer is NOT working on my system (as it should) in connection with my used NVIDIA GPU drivers = I get that not displaying / blank video problem. So unfortunately I can not fix that NVIDIA driver problem and also found no solution about that issues on internet yet. So on the other hand I found other tools like some different video player tools like Mpc-HC....

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
...where you have many settings inside and also you can choose a desired "Video Renderer" in the Output panel so there you can also find the default Video Renderer (first entry) and other renderer and right here I can also pick that "Enhanced Video Renderer" versions to use them instead the default one. Just look at the image I made trying to play a video with different renderer....
1A_2023-01-07_232046.png
1A_2023-01-07_232046.png (231.51 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...now a look into XYplorer preview tab....
B1_2023-01-08_214815.png
B1_2023-01-08_214815.png (59.85 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...here you see same blank screen too but video is playing but not displaying because of used default video renderer. Same you can also see here in graphstudionext tool...
B2_2023-01-08_215426.png
B2_2023-01-08_215426.png (27.49 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...but when I change this renderer here too to EVR then it works in graphstudionext....
B3_2023-01-08_215426.png
B3_2023-01-08_215426.png (182.58 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...what brings me now to ask your Admin / Devs for an request. So could you please add another option in your XYplorer configuration window where we as user can also choose a other video renderer which should the internal XYplorer preview use instead of the default renderer? Just same / similar little option like you also have in Mpc-HC player. Is that possible for you guys to implement that? Would be nice if you could do that. Just tell me what you think about it.

PS: By the way, I was checking your latest version "23.90.0400" and see that the drag / drop problem I did explain in my first post is still there. Don't wanna bother you but this problem you really must fix. Look at my two images about it.....
B4_2023-01-08_215426.png
B4_2023-01-08_215426.png (148.91 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...above you can see the way in Window Explorer. I have the outisde app / player in front and then I select a file in WE and drag it (WM_MOUSEMOVE) and WE does not force itself in front and keep all other apps which are in front in front = correctly way so that I can move the file from WE into the player in this example without to go outside of WE itself. Now lets have a look on XPplorer trying to do the same....
B5_2023-01-08_215426.png
B5_2023-01-08_215426.png (113.91 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
...here you can see it does not work because XYplorer brings itself in front by selecting a file (without to release it) and this make it not doable to process a simple and comfortable drag / drop working. At the moment I need to move the file over the app icon below in taskbar to bring the outside app back in front and drop the file in there so this way is really really bad. One more time, please fix that quickly guys!

Thank you

Helix

Post by Helix »

Hi again,

just wanna post a supplement to my pre post and using Mpc-HC video player. On the image where you can see the choosen "System-Standard" video renderer (which just showing blank video) I was using the Mpc-HC player version 1.9.8. So if you download the latest version 1.9.24 and you go into Output settings to choose this "System-Standard" renderer then you will not find it because it used a other name which is "Video Mixing Renderer 7" so just use this one to test it. I made 2 images..
v1_2023-01-09_230536.png
v1_2023-01-09_230536.png (42.86 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
...above the older version with old name "System-Standard" and below the image with new name "Video Mixing Renderer 7" and both showing blank screen for me..
v2_2023-01-09_230536.png
v2_2023-01-09_230536.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
...just keep this in mind if you wanna test it.

MFG

Helix

Re: Few problems when using XYplorer

Post by Helix »

Hey guys,

just wanna ask whether you dev guys did think about it to use an alternative video renderer "Enhanced Video Renderer" to make the video previews work on the lower tab pane? In my case the newer Nvidia drivers aren't working with the default video mixing renderer (blank screen) and just found some older driver from 2017 which does work but don't wanna use stone old drivers. Would be nice if you could add this another EVR optional for people who have similar GPU problems like me.

What about the drag & drop problem? Did you plan to fix it and make it work as I told or do you wanna skip that and leave it like it is (I wouldn't recommend that of course)? Just tell us if it'is allowed to ask in the hope to get also some answers you know. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are no immediate plans concerning your problems.

Btw, your posts are so long and detailed. I wonder if you should spend your time better to write your own file manager. ;)

Helix

Post by Helix »

Ok, that sounds bad. :( Maybe you could fix that drag / drop issue I told before to make this operation better to handle file drops into other apps. Would be nice if you could fix this problem at least.

So I have one more question about the scroll position save option in config. Just imagine I have a folder open and inside this folder I have over 100 sub folders what means I have to scroll a long way to see the first folder / middle folders / end folders etc. In this case I have to scroll this area manually to find specific folder XY and make it visible to access this one. Now it would be maybe a good idea to have some kind of jump-markers we could set to bring a specific part in visible / access area without to use the scroller itself to scroll down or jump down each time. I mean on all file panels left / right / below to set jump-markers. Is this already doable or not?

Example: Just imagine a new little status bar below the left file panel and there you have few buttons like 8 or 10 etc = marker buttons like in a coding area etc. Now if you press on a button you enable the position marker = save this view & positon. Now you scroll around etc and then you wanna restore that view & position where you did set the first marker and then its just getting restored. So with this method you can set different markers where you want and you can jump how you want. So this is very helpfully if you do work with many folders and you don't wanna create a new tab for all of them and you can just use simple jump markers. Just a quick access handling & jumping. Similar things you can also find in other apps too so what do you think about that?

PS: Your app is already good and I don't wanna start coding a own FM in MASM now. :)

highend

Post by highend »

jump-markers we could set to bring a specific part in visible / access area without to use the scroller itself to scroll down or jump down each time. I mean on all file panels left / right / below to set jump-markers. Is this already doable or not?
The live filter box does this
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Norn

Post by Norn »

Helix wrote: 20 Jan 2023 23:06 So I have one more question about the scroll position save option in config. Just imagine I have a folder open and inside this folder I have over 100 sub folders what means I have to scroll a long way to see the first folder / middle folders / end folders etc. In this case I have to scroll this area manually to find specific folder XY and make it visible to access this one. Now it would be maybe a good idea to have some kind of jump-markers we could set to bring a specific part in visible / access area without to use the scroller itself to scroll down or jump down each time. I mean on all file panels left / right / below to set jump-markers. Is this already doable or not?

Example: Just imagine a new little status bar below the left file panel and there you have few buttons like 8 or 10 etc = marker buttons like in a coding area etc. Now if you press on a button you enable the position marker = save this view & positon. Now you scroll around etc and then you wanna restore that view & position where you did set the first marker and then its just getting restored. So with this method you can set different markers where you want and you can jump how you want. So this is very helpfully if you do work with many folders and you don't wanna create a new tab for all of them and you can just use simple jump markers. Just a quick access handling & jumping. Similar things you can also find in other apps too so what do you think about that?
You can do it via script, if I understand correctly.

$index = "";
 for($i = 1; $i <= get("CountItems"); $i++) {
     $ii++;
     if($ii == 30) {
        $index .= "$i" . "|";
        $ii = 0;
        }
     }

sel input("Jump to", 5:=300, 7:=substr($index, , -1));
Ctrl+M
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

Helix

Post by Helix »

Hey guys and thanks for your answers so far,

so in the live filter I can just use to enter anything and not to set marker & jump etc.

Thanks for the script Norn but its not really this what I'am looking for. I don't wanna exec a script and enter a value to jump the file XY. Most interesting part for me is the left side file panel. Just imagine, you have a tool like a debugger and you do set soft or hardware breakpoints on any code addresses and the fastest way to get them in front is it to use a button function for any of them or showing a listview to choose & jump on the addresses. Something similar like that I would like to have in XYplorer too to make quick jumps. Do you know what I mean guys?

MFG

Norn

Post by Norn »

Did not understand, you can try to learn the script. . .

$index = "";
 for($i = 1; $i <= get("CountItems"); $i++) {
     $ii++;
     if($ii == 30) {
        $index .= "$i" . "|";
        $ii = 0;
        }
     }

$sel = popupmenu(substr($index, , -1));

$index = "";
 for($i = $sel-30; $i <= $sel; $i++) {