Main@200: Error 481 - Invalid picture

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi! xy is no longer starting on my machine (fresh boot up today, windows 10). xy flickers on the taskbar and then goes away.

if i open the xy folder in explorer, i see an error log file with this line in it :

Code: Select all

this xy is running

LastVer=23.80.0200
update. i edited the xyplorer.ini file and removed the paths from the these settings and the software started up :

StartPath=
Goto=
i closed and restarted xy and it is working. i do not have the preview pane/option enabled. i am using dual panes. both paths exist and they are empty (no files or pictures). not sure what the error invalid picture is about.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Main@200: Error 481 - Invalid picture

Post by admin »

A Windows / explorer.exe hiccup. Happens rarely, but we've seen it here before: viewtopic.php?t=19910

GreetingsFromPoland

thanks. i had this happen again today on another computer. xy was running fine. updated to the latest beta and it loaded and ran fine. closed xy. came back later and had a flashing icon, no xy and the same error message in the log.

my previous trick did not work. what i ended up doing was downloading the ZIP of the latest beta, extract overtop and it started fine. no manual changes to my ini this time, just an overwrite of the beta files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, weird. The next beta will (probably, still not sure where this error actually happens) write an additional error log file with hopefully some clues in it.

GreetingsFromPoland

hi again! happened again this morning. updated 2 different machines to the latest beta using

update 1+128;
. update downloaded, installed and restarted just fine. closed xy and tried to launch again, flash of icon on the taskbar and no load. new error log created with the same error line in it (no additional information).

to fix, i had to download the manual ZIP of the latest beta (which i was running), extract and overwrite the existing files and then it launched fine. i also closed and restarted xy several times and so far it is opening.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not fixable.

Why not got the normal way to update?
Help | Online Support | Check for Updates

GreetingsFromPoland

Why not got the normal way to update?
less clicks (only 1). has worked for years until recent.

why have the update() script command if it doesn't work ? if i was to use your method, where is the setting to allow it to get betas ? is it still pressing CTRL when updating ? if so, add more extra clicks.

that's okay, thank you for trying. i'll stick to releases and take a break from betas for a bit.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried it and discovered a weird bug here. Weird because nobody ever reported it. :? It's different from your issue, but who knows, maybe it's somehow related. Try the next beta...

GreetingsFromPoland

thank you again for the update. this happened again this morning. fresh boot (same as each morning). today i tried some additional steps to see if i could help narrow down the problem.

1. unzipped latest beta, overwriting existing files. software is in c:\utilities\xyplorer, data is in appdata/roaming - no change.
2. deleted all the files from the xy folder, unzipped latest beta - no change.
3. deleted xyplorer.ini from appdata - no change, not even a new file recreated.
4. in the appdata folder, deleted each folder and file one at a time with start attempts in between - no change.
5. restored all files from the recycle bin, downloaded the zip/exe inside of the latest beta, installed to c:\utilities\xyplorer and it fired right up.

the "invalid picture" doesn't help me out much to track anything down. when the software starts, i don't even get the splash screen (like i do when it's working).

is there anything else i can test out when this happens ? windows 10 22H2x64, latest updates, entire xyplorer folder excluded from AV (defender and mbam). when this happens, no crashdumps are created and no weird entries in the event log (just the xyplorer error log file in the application directory).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried to reproduce it but could not. :|

I don't have time to pursue this further. I assume it is a unique exceptional problem.

GreetingsFromPoland

thank you for checking.

your error tracking, debug, etc. are very good in the xy software. you are usually able to pinpoint the oddest of things. are you able to explain where "main@200" is happening and what it is trying to do ? this may help me try and locate something in a folder or on my system that is all of sudden triggering this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, the error message is meaningless. Apparently the error reporting itself became dysfunctional due to whatever happened.

GreetingsFromPoland

thank you for your time and effort on this matter; however, this occurs at least once a day on 2 different machines. since there are no more troubleshooting procedures to try, i have been forced to stop using this software for now and move to another file manager. these are 2 identical workstations (hardware-wise). we have been using this software for many, many years and only recently started experiencing this issue.

the only major difference with this software that i changed in the last year is to re-install it from "program files (x86)" to my "utilities" folder, but it has run from that location for at least 6 months or more without issue. this bug/issue is bad since it kills the software from running and provides an error message that is useless.

my only working fix for this is to keep a copy of installer EXE and run it when this message/error occurs. i am leaving this software installed, if you need any further files or data that may help, please let me know and i will provide or go through some more troubleshooting steps.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The error only comes on update 1+128; and that stops you from using the app? :eh:

GreetingsFromPoland

wait ! when you mentioned that before and i removed it from my toolbar, CTB, etc. and have been using help / online support / check for updates (holding CTRL) when i click.

i started with a fresh EXE install of the latest "release" and then the steps above to update to betas. is there some trace of that in my files somewhere ? i will hunt it down and remove it ! i also removed that script from my INI file so there is no trace of that command any longer.
Last edited by GreetingsFromPoland on 26 Jan 2023 16:30, edited 1 time in total.