Where in registry is XYplorer the default file explorer?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
davidhelp

Where in registry is XYplorer the default file explorer?

Post by davidhelp »

Where in the registry is XYplorer the default file explorer? and what should I be looking for over Windows file manager?

Windows 10 is somehow not allowing images to be opened without a prompt inside of a XYplorer window for which program you want to use to open it.
I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 22H2 and this problem persists.
In the Control Panel User Accounts I am the administrator and the slider is set to Never notify.

Below is a post that has the same issue as me except is .jpg and .gif and .png files. I had also done the same fix as the poster but have no success.
Using File Association Fixer v 2.0 to fix file associations. I also have restarted the pc many times.
The images open with no prompt on the desktop or when using Windows File Manager.

Problem: When I try to open an image inside a folder with XYplorer as the Default File Manager I am prompted
"How do you want to open this file? Keep using this app"
I select the program I want to use which is Irfanview. The box is checked:
* Always use this app to open .jpg files

Tools> Configuration> Other> Shell Integration
Box is checked for: XYplorer is default file manager

Default File Manager
Note that changes will take immediate effect and modify the registry of the host system.

Default Image Viewer
Post by riggy69 » 15 Aug 2016 15:08
viewtopic.php?t=16265

My post related on this when I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10:
viewtopic.php?p=204955#p204955

davidhelp

Re: Where in registry is XYplorer the default file explorer?

Post by davidhelp »

I just created a new profile, a new account to log into. Everything works normal as it does in the Administrator account.
It is only my profile that was created when I setup Windows yesterday that I have this issue.

Every other program works in this brand new install of Windows 10 pro but for some reason cannot open images in XYplorer without the prompt for what program to use. I use Irfanview but the same issue with the built in windows Photo Viewer if made the default.

Maybe a corrupt profile but limited to one program....
There must be a way to fix. I had started installing all my other software so may end up 'moving' to my new profile and starting again!

Hope someone has a another easy solution so I do not have to do this :veryconfused:

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Have you tried a CFA for images?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

davidhelp

Post by davidhelp »

What is: CFA for images ?

To sum up, XYplorer opens images in the Windows 10 Pro Profile and my new Profile I created with no prompt but does not in the Profile I created when I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday without a prompt for what program to use then once selected will open them but will ask again when even the same image file is selected......
The mouse cursor down will pop up the photo. When I turn that feature off the images will show up in the Preview pane and pop up when the mouse cursor is held down on it.

davidhelp

Post by davidhelp »

This may be the fix as it is now working correctly. No more prompt for jpg, png, gif
Choosing a default image viewer is sometimes not enough.
This issue is fixed.

How do I reset the default associations in Windows 10?
To reset all Apps and File Associations to default in Windows 11/10, do the following:

Press Win+I to open Windows Settings.
Go to Apps > Default apps.
Scroll down to the bottom.
Click on the Reset button.
Click the OK button.

Do this anytime the issue happens again, generally after installing some other software that has the ability to open images, pdfs etc. A reset then choosing your apps as default again will fix the issue and no restart is needed.
Last edited by davidhelp on 11 Dec 2022 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

CFA stands for Custom File Association and as usual the help file would yield further info on it.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)