High DPI

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Rainer.Friedrich

High DPI

Post by Rainer.Friedrich »

Hello, I use the newest version of Xyplorer (portable). On one PC I have an 24" display wirh (1920 resolution) the other (main) display with 40" and 4k. Xyplorer is used on the smaller one and the size does not fit. I adjusted in the compatbility setting that Xyplorer should use the "System" settings. Then Xyplorer runs well.

After some time, when I, e.g., start Excel, the cells are very bigger, only when I use compatibility mode in Excel, it looks not soo bad. When I start Excel outside of Xyplorer all is fine. So it looks like Excel inherits some form of dpi awareness. If I reset my PC to a former stat (I use clonezilla images and PC-Sheriff) everything is alright.

Had also trouble with Remote Desktop Manager (from Devolutions) after some time the above mentioned problem arise here also, when I start it from within Xyplorer.

Other programs like Thunderbird or Firefox runs well.

What can I do?

The same problem I have on a 4K PC with two identical 4K 40" (here also with the compatibility settings, maybe they are not neccessary here).

Why has Xyplorer so much trouble with dpi settings/4k?

Thanks in advance.

cu
F. :-)

admin
Site Admin

Re: High DPI

Post by admin »

What if you start Excel via context menu (right-click the Excel executable and choose Open)?

Rainer.Friedrich

Post by Rainer.Friedrich »

I started it from the App-Menu in Windows 11 and then all is well. Probs arise only when I open an excel file from the Xyplorer filelist. RDM also runs well, when I start it from outside Xyplorer. And the strangest: This problem arises after some time, cannot reproduce when and why.

Will look after the context menu when I am back at the PC which has currently the prob.

cu
F. :-)

rudek

Post by rudek »

I have the same issue on high DPI screens, (Win11 Pro, Office 360) but it only started since 1-2 months or so, ca. from version 24.00. I am on 24.20 now.

If I double-click an Excel file in XYplorer, the cells are large (lots of padding) and dialogs (e.g. Save as) have the buttons cut off, sou you don't see them and can't press them.

If I right click the same file in XYplorer, and Open With / Excel, then the formatting is fine.

Opening the same file from Windows Explorer also works fine.

I don't want to mess with the high DPI compatibility settings of excel.exe because they will get overwritten by new office 360 updates.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rudek

highend

Post by highend »

Create a CFA for those extensions and open them with the openwith script command from them?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think any change in XY is responsible. You can try older versions to find out: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

rudek

Post by rudek »

probably... It could have been some other change that happened recently causing the issue. I still think XYplorer should be able to open a common program like Excel respecting the DPI environment by double clicking. It does open Excel correctly by using Open With. What exactly is the difference between the two methods?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What if you open it via "Open" or "Open by Shell" in the context menu? What if you open it via "Open" in the 64-bit context menu?

rudek

Post by rudek »

opening by "Open"= "doubleclick" -> wrong DPI settings
opening by "Open With" / Excel / Always -> correct DPI settings

I only have the 64-bit context menu. I do not have the "Open by Shell" in the context menu at all, unless it is a configurable option?

rudek

Post by rudek »

Sorry, I did find "Open With" in the native context settings.

opening by "Open With" -> wrong DPI settings

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean "Open by Shell"?

If 64-bit context menu "Open" works, you can try to tick this: Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Open files from 64-bit process Then even double-click might work.

rudek

Post by rudek »

my mistake, sorry, I meant "Open by Shell" and not "Open With".

I did Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Open files from 64-bit process .

Unfortunately, still I have opening by "Open"= "doubleclick" -> wrong DPI settings

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Better idea: if openwith works, then simply add your Excel extensions to Tools | Customize File Associations... and open them with Excel from there. Double-click will work.

Example:
xlsx>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:whistle: