Profile sets / Saved tab states

Features wanted...
Darcey

Profile sets / Saved tab states

Post by Darcey »

I've been using a kinda hacky way of getting this done for a while now, which is open 1 instance of xyplorer, minimise this as I want to keep the dual pane folder tab sets remembered on close of that one. And then open another instance where I setup a different set of folder sets. I make sure to close the 2nd instance 1st and then the 1st instance of xyplorer to maintain those folders on next open.

It would be great to have layout sets, say 5 to 10 in a drop down or something from the main menu where I could switch from work folders for 1 client to another with ease.

D

highend

Re: Profile sets / Saved tab states

Post by highend »

?

Add the Tabsets button to your toolbar and you can switch to whatever set you've saved before...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

ah ha, nice... :tup:

XY Has so many options, even after all these years I'm still finding out about them :party:

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

It works, very clunky, but it works... Needs a bit of a clean up on the ux / functionality side of things...

1. Drop down has different contents between dual panes unless opened, then it remembers. It needs to sync with the saved tab profiles on save or change, either monitor changes to files in tab sync ini folders or update (re-scan) on user event such as save, delete etc. Persistence between dual panes. If list is over 10 profiles just show last 10 used or something.

2. Numbered entries should be removed. I removed them, they still exist and now do nothing but still exist even after restart lol, it doesn't need to list active panes, tab set profile management is what matters.

3. If tab profile is changed in use be flagged on that loaded tab set profile, add a * for changed and unsaved. Typical file editor kind of practice or simpler just deselect all as your no longer in a loaded profile, its up to the user to save a new profile if changed.

4. Save as should show previous tab set profiles so you can overwrite one instead of guess the name it was.

5. Same tab set should be able to be opened at the same time on both panes in dual pane mode.

6. ini profiles could be simplified a lot to just hold a list of paths, xyp state maybe (probably) shouldn't come into this.

7. Unable to load tab set after making changes to pane to get back to tab set, had to create junk tab set profile to switch to, then switch to profile I wanted again.

Clunky but usable.

Will hack away at these ini files and see what I can come up with...

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

I think that's everything I can think of on quick review and initial ini file editing...

Ideal functionality would be:

Left click
- opens list menu
- 1st item in drop down is open tab profile manager
- 2nd save (overwite last opened profile on current pane (if in dual pane mode)
- 3rd save as (opens tab profile manager to do this)
- 4th item in drop down list is a divider to separate profile listing
- List profiles (list last 10 profiles used or just alphabetical list of 1st 10, setting should be available in config & tab profile manager)

Left click menu functionality
- Needs to update sync on user event changes in tab profile manager
- Options 2 and 3, do not need to be shown unless user changes a path in any tab, adds or closes a tab to that pane (adjust 4th aka divider position accordingly, intelligent to know if pane 1 profile or pane 2 profile has changed, so save can overwrite).
- Allow re-opening of an already open tab profile (currently can't do this)

Right click
- Opens tab profile manager

Tab profile manager
- Browse & search of tab list profiles
- Select profile - rename
- Select profile - delete
- Select profile - save (overwrite)
- Save as / save new / and above (might want dialogue to confirm which pane if in dual pane mode using save and save as, quick list of paths open or something, maybe outline pane outline to show user which is being saved for save (overwrite & save as))
- Do not list unknown entries such as what is currently open in panes (single and dual as it's not needed)
- Allow opening same profile at same time in 2 panes or re-open to reset.

Ini files
- Does A* need to be part of these profiles?
- Does anything need to be stored here other than a list of paths? It is just a list of paths to open in a pane after all, state should be left to the rest of xy

Glad it's there, very clunky/hacky to use but it's there... :tup:

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Works reliably and IMHO not clunky at all here for years - maybe you need to read up on the intended functionality a bit more?
If that is not enough, there is also a script called Session Manager (to be found in the relevant section on the forum).
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Darcey

Post by Darcey »

Well, lets agree to disagree there...

Tis a wish list... :info:

Its all over the place from my perspective.

- Having a profile deleted and still re-appear on next load of xy is a bug imo. :bug:
- No show numbers for pane your in and can't select? :roll:
- Can't re-load a profile to reset once changed :appl:
- I ripped every part of every file containing references to profile sets and they are stored in so many places that it took a while to get XY clean again, also showed me a lot of logging and replication going on... yikes... :naughty: :roll: :blackstorm:

But hey, if that's working as intended then... :shock:

https://youtu.be/ftqRAAHO8IQ

I'll leave yall to enjoy it, but back to multiple instances of XY for me... :party:

And I'm out, adios amigos. :arrow: