Folder icons are not displayed correctly, almost all of them are white, only a small part of them are correct.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
highend

Re: Folder icons are not displayed correctly, almost all of them are white, only a small part of them are correct.

Post by highend »

Just to be sure that I understand this correctly:

A fresh XY instance, no modifications at all.
You navigate into: C:\WinSysRoot\Tree\Icons\@MySoftware
and all .ico files show just fine
Now you're adding a CFI definition like this: "AutoHotkey" *.ahk>C:\WinSysRoot\Tree\Icons\@MySoftware\AHKIcon.ico
and when you now view the same folder C:\WinSysRoot\Tree\Icons\@MySoftware all .ico files are blank?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Ampere

Re: Folder icons are not displayed correctly, almost all of them are white, only a small part of them are correct.

Post by Ampere »

Sorry not mentioning, ICO files are not showing normally, even with no CFI modifications. When insert CFI though, the blank view spread to the associations.

Also, after update, I was trying some visualization tools, like Seer 0.8 (last version Free), the last one 3.1, and also with Quick Tool (an open source one like Seer),
used Seer before with no problems. Thought it could be the QuickTool messing with something, uninstalled them all, and nothing. Then came here and found the topic and these windows updates issues.

Compare the images, with CFI off and enabled, the ahk and png files blanking after association, but showing normally on windows explorer.
XyBlank2.png
XyBlank2.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2819 times
XyCFI Enabled.png
XyCFI Enabled.png (569.14 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

highend

Post by highend »

Set a system restore point

And then follow this guide:
Animation.gif
Animation.gif (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2816 times
I've associated .ico files to the MS Photo app before. All .ico files got the same icon in XYplorer through this. After resetting the default associations, all .ico files immediately (even without a reboot or XY restart) got their original icon back. So maybe your file association was broken through the update, set to a non-existing app, blanking out all of them...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Ampere

Post by Ampere »

Thanks you Highend!!!!! you got it...! :appl: :appl:

Did the procedure you've mentioned, tried to see the icons and nothig, but then they have opened with imageMagick... uninstalled it and reopened software, then, icons back!!

Certanly your hipothesis was right, some problem with the .ico association files. Things back to normal , i'll try reinstalling imagemagick later today and check if the problem recurs.

(I use IM just to do some png and jpg to ico conversions using a script shared here that uses the IM command line... I might have set some settings wrong )

Lusayalumino

Post by Lusayalumino »

highend wrote: 27 Oct 2022 09:57 ... After resetting the default associations, all .ico files immediately (even without a reboot or XY restart) got their original icon back...
Wow, thanks so much for this HIGHEND. All my (XYplorer 24.20.0500) Custom File Icons Corrupted yesterday. I tried Windows > Default Apps > Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults AND IT WORKED!

Here's what I had previously tried (all this failed):

WINDOWS:
- I tried deleting this file: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
- I tried running a sfc /scannow
- Rebooted the computer, and everything is still corrupted.

XYplorer:
- View > Refresh List
- View > Reset List
- View > Caches > Refresh Thumbnails
- View > Caches > Create Missing Thumbnails
- View > Caches > Refresh Icons
XYPlorer, Great Form -- Awesome Function