More fields in Folder Contents Preview

Features wanted...
JLoftus

More fields in Folder Contents Preview

Post by JLoftus »

Any chance to introduce options for more fields in the Hover Box or MDBU other than filename? I would love to also show last modified and sizes.

Edited title to Folder Contents Preview
Last edited by JLoftus on 12 Apr 2022 02:53, edited 2 times in total.

jupe

Re: More fields in MDBU and/or Hover Box

Post by jupe »

Repeatedly press the "S" key while HoverBox is visible. MDBU never shows meta fields.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

yea, that gives the folder size, was wishing for new Configuration option to include date/size for each file in the HB/MDBU

jupe

Post by jupe »

It sounds like you are talking about Folder Preview Hover Box (not normal file HoverBox), instead if you use Transparent Folders (see link below), you can still get the normal HoverBox when over the files, which shows the info you are requesting. eg.

https://www.xyplorer.com/release_21.30.php#TP

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

that sort of kinda gets the job done for text or graphics files, but I work extensively with audio files, and hovering over a folder of WAV or FLAC files, it would be nice to be able to see the dates/sizes in the hovered list view:
2022-04-11_16-12-26.png
2022-04-11_16-12-26.png (84.83 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

I don't think you looked at the link I provided, because your screenshot isn't the feature I suggested, and if you used Transparent Folders instead, you can hover the audio file and it will show the normal file infotip which can include all the configurable info your normal infotip shows in the list (much more than you requested), anyway I am done trying to convince you.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

No need to get snippy. Indeed, I read the page, and indeed, all those options are checked, and indeed, I do get the tip per file, but either you didn't understand what I am saying, or I must need to be finished trying to convince you, that this is not what I have requested in the wishes section: What I am looking for is in the hovered list view, ALL of the files in that list to display, in addition to the filename, one or more additional fields, such as Modified or Size.

What you are trying to convince me of, is to individually hover over each item in the list, to glean the tip to determine the size. This is highly inefficient, in fact far more so than simply drilling into the folder with a list view in the first place. Further, if the Hovered window has a scrollbar, now you'd also have to scroll that list and continue to hover over each item and view the tip individually. I was requesting a feature to show them all in the hover list at once. Not that difficult to understand that what I am asking for is entirely different from what you are describing.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I wasn't get snippy, I just meant I could see it wasn't what you were describing in the end, and yes it was difficult to understand originally because you initially asked for HoverBox, which is in relation to single files, when after my posts it has become clear you actually meant Folder Contents Preview, and you asked about MDBU, but none of the things you describe are MDBU, so none of your original post used the correct terminology, so now your request is clear.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I see, thanks for the terminology clarification. I do have a hard time mentally distinguishing the various preview types.

Edit: I think maybe MDBU does actually apply in part, as I am referring to both when I hover over a folder and the floating folder contents window appears, as well as if I right click it to invoke the same window but persistently (and in the Configuration Dialog, this setting is in the Mouse Down Blow Up section). In either case, it is this list of files in the scrolling/floating preview that I am asking for a feature to add the option for additional fields/columns.

TheQwerty

Re: More fields in Folder Contents Preview

Post by TheQwerty »

The first few times I read this I thought you wanted this additional information in the preview's status area or as tooltips/HB.

However, reading back I think what you may be after is a way to have the folder contents preview use a details or details-lite view instead of just a list of item names.

Does that sound right to you?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

yes, exactly this

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

:tup: Sounds good to me if it isn't too slow. :whistle: