Single click to see full file name in Large Icons view?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
andyxoxo4

Single click to see full file name in Large Icons view?

Post by andyxoxo4 »

Hi again, in Large Icons view the file names are shortened (hidden) so you can't fully see what exactly the file is and that makes it harder to find the file you are looking for. In Windows 7, icons view also has shortened filenames but a single left click on a file brings up the full filename. In XYplorer a single left click on a file seems to do nothing... is there a setting I am missing? I would like to fully see the shortened (hidden) filename in Large Icons view....thanks :-)

Edit : Small Icons view has the same problem... can't see the full file name on left single click on a file.

Would be really nice to be able to see the hidden (shortened) filenames when single left clicking on a file in Small or Large Icons view ;-)

Horst

Re: Single click to see full file name in Large Icons view?

Post by Horst »

If I hold the cursor over the shortend file name it displays it in fuill.
Holding the cursor on the file icon the picture is displayed in large
including the full name and other info.
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_25_55.png
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_25_55.png (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_25_19.png
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_25_19.png (693.3 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_28_13.png
Screenshot - 10.04.2022 , 15_28_13.png (63.76 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

andyxoxo4

Post by andyxoxo4 »

Thanks for your reply but I know about that... single left click is better though. It is faster to single left click on a file to see the full filename rather than hovering because if it's the correct file you are searching for then all you have to is single click it again to execute it. If you hover over it now you have to double click it to execute. More time wasted.

Also it seems such a waste for there to be no function for single left click in Small or Large Icons view... I am hoping the dev will consider adding Single Left Click functionality to see the full filenames in both Small & Large Icons views...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

I can vaguely recall what you're describing in WE but here on Win 10 it seems to behave exactly like XY - which is to say not showing the full name unless you slow second click to rename the item. One useful difference in XY, is that unless you're using a custom status bar template the third section shows the current item's name with more characters than the icons view typically have available to them.

For this request are you picturing that the name of the current item should overlap the icon below it to show the full name, like it does when renaming?

andyxoxo4

Post by andyxoxo4 »

Hi TheQwerty... thanks for your reply. You said, "For this request are you picturing that the name of the current item should overlap the icon below it to show the full name, like it does when renaming?"

Yes, exactly. That would be perfect and the extension would not have to be shown (just the file name) and that's how it is in Win7 (since I never upgraded to Win10 I didn't realize that had changed). Also, like I had mentioned earlier, it just seems like a waste to not have any single left click functionality in both Small & Large Icons views when a file is selected... to add this option I believe would increase productivity by allowing us to find files easier because in XYplorer the file names are really really shortened in Large Icons view. Cheers :-)

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

andyxoxo4 wrote: 12 Apr 2022 09:30it just seems like a waste to not have any single left click functionality in both Small & Large Icons views when a file is selected...
You keep saying this but there is single left click functionality in those views - it selects the file. If you truly mean functionality when single left clicking an already selected item, then in that case it enters rename mode by default unless Tools | Customize List | Rename On Slow Double-Click is disabled/unchecked. So there is single left click functionality already unless you've disabled it.

My concern with covering items outside of the rename mode is that it's ugly and will hide item(s) under long names, but as an option that's a user's choice and frankly I'm not a frequent enough user of these view modes to care much. ;)