Main Menu Toolbar Button

Features wanted...
klownboy

Re: Main Menu Toolbar Button

Post by klownboy »

autocart wrote: 11 Feb 2022 21:23 When 1st TB is active and I scroll down the 2nd TB becomes active. When I scroll down again, then the 1st becomes active again. This should not be, IMO. If the 2nd is active and I scroll down, nothing should happen. The 1st should only activate when I scroll up from the 2nd TB.
Make good sense, but Don will have to take in to account a 3rd and 4th toolbar for anyone who may have more than 2 (not me). Obviously, you'd want to cycle to those when you continue scrolling. In the end, I think it's better to have just 2 selected toolbars for cycling. :)

For scripting purposes, it may be nice to get a SC get("#688") which would disclose which bar we have currently displayed. Don, it would then be possible to script what I was asking previously (i.e., an AB associated with a particular toolbar). Of course, designating specific toolbar in the layout (e.g., ShowToolbar2=1) maybe a better idea in the long run at some point downstream.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

hermhart wrote: 11 Feb 2022 22:21 Is it not possible to get stackable toolbars, so you can see one on top of the other? As that seems as it would be the most requested.
I rather wouldn't use it often - but I wouldn't mind an optional (vertical stacked) second toolbar.

The basic logic wouldn't have to be changed (don't know about the actual implementation):
- two rows providing a view on an total of up to 4 button sets
- the second row toolbar can be toggled by a (new) entry in the Window Menu ("Show 2nd|additional toolbar"); general handling like with list panes
- either toolbar independently shows one button set out of the maximum number of (defined) sets (allowing identical - or "dupe" - toolbars)
- each toolbar can be switched/scrolled independently (again allowing identical - or "dupe" - toolbars)
- toolbar configs will apply globally (only button sets are individualized)

I think, if available I could make good use of it.

autocart

Post by autocart »

klownboy wrote: 11 Feb 2022 22:51 Obviously, you'd want to cycle to those when you continue scrolling.
Of course, as I indicated, there might be others who have a different feeling about it, but I do not see the benefit of cycling even with 3 or 4 toolbars. It is just pre-programmed frustration to happen - even quite literally. Because it will be too often that you want to scroll to the last TB but scroll too far.
Of course, with the in-the-middle TBs one has to scroll accurately nevertheless, but that is a downside that cannot be avoided when someone really wants to have 3 or 4 TBs. That is everyone's choice.
klownboy wrote: 11 Feb 2022 22:51 In the end, I think it's better to have just 2 selected toolbars for cycling.
I don't know what that means.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

autocart wrote: 11 Feb 2022 23:04
klownboy wrote: 11 Feb 2022 22:51 Obviously, you'd want to cycle to those when you continue scrolling.
Of course, as I indicated, there might be others who have a different feeling about it, but I do not see the benefit of cycling even with 3 or 4 toolbars. It is just pre-programmed frustration to happen - even quite literally. Because it will be too often that you want to scroll to the last TB but scroll too far.
Of course, with the in-the-middle TBs one has to scroll accurately nevertheless, but that is a downside that cannot be avoided when someone really wants to have 3 or 4 TBs. That is everyone's choice.
klownboy wrote: 11 Feb 2022 22:51 In the end, I think it's better to have just 2 selected toolbars for cycling.
I don't know what that means.
Poor wording, but what I meant was, currently Don permits more than 2 toolbars, but he could limit the cycling between 2 - which the user would select. My Toolbar Cycle and Management script over in the scripting section, allows more than 2 but the user selects 2 for cycling that can be changed. To be honest though for my own use, I don't see a need for more than 2 and it would simplify things for Don.

hermhart

Post by hermhart »

Considering that the 2,3 and 4 toolbar options are only in the Beta, it's not like we'd really be losing anything by narrowing it down to just two toolbars, one on top of the other. I understand the cycling of the toolbars, but I think that it would be confusing for new people unfamiliar with the software.

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

Maybe a dumb question, but how exactly do I access the 2nd toolbar?

When I go to "Customize Toolbar" the window title says Button Set #1, but there's no option to switch the buttonset I'm editing. Using the wheel on the toolbar isn't working either, nor is any other method discussed here.

***Edit ****
Found it, didn't notice that it first needs to be enabled; Customize Toolbar|Options|Allow Button Set Switching

autocart

Post by autocart »

viewtopic.php?p=196076#p196076
+ Tools | Customize Toolbar | Options: Added toggle "Allow Button Set Switching". Tick
if you actually want all that new button set switching.
> It's on by factory default but upgraders have to actively tick it.
Its behind the options button inside the cust tb dialog.

eil

Post by eil »

My 2 cents:
- i like the idea of per-set AB attachment, though i'm afraid that's a lot of effort to add such behaviour;
- same i like the no-cycling toolbar sets idea, so scrolling down will go only till last available set, and scrolling up will go till set #1(it just adds comfort), though best would be to have a tweak disabling cycling.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Too much input. :) Let my reply to all quickly:

1) I don't want to have to more than one permanen toolbar at a time.
2) Temporary vertical popup toolbars are already possible. (v22.80.0001 - 2022-02-04 11:10)
3) No-cycle wheel will come.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 12 Feb 2022 11:53 1) I don't want to have to more than one permanen toolbar at a time.
With that statement, I assume you would still have cycling capability, but only one toolbar displayed at a time (i.e., not 2 stacked, etc.).

For scripting purposes , it would be great to know which toolbar is currently in use (e.g., toolbar button set #2) using SC get("#688") or similar. That would allow us to detect which toolbar is in use and make layout decisions, like assign the address bar to it (e.g., if it's toolbar button set #2 display the address bar, if not don't).

autocart

Post by autocart »

klownboy wrote: 12 Feb 2022 12:12With that statement, I assume you would still have cycling capability, ...
Please note that TB set cycling is not equal to TB set switching. Cycling is a special part of switching where you jump from the last set directly back to the first by trying to switch beyond the last set. Maybe there could be a better word, I admit.
But you are only talking about normal switching of TB sets without cycling, aren't you? At least, Don is as far as I understand.
Just trying to avert confusion.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When switching by command or toolbar button you go up-up-up... with wrap around = cycling.

When switching by wheel (which is a button with two directions) you can go up and down, no wrap around.

BTW, I find the current wheel directions counter-intuitive. I would rather reverse them: WheelDown => next set, WheelUp => previous set. Same as wheeling through the file list. Agreed?

autocart

Post by autocart »

admin wrote: 12 Feb 2022 13:53 Agreed?
As far as me, I agree to everything. :kidding:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good attitude! :tup: :beer:

Daniel0312

Post by Daniel0312 »

I kind of like like the way it works now, no cycling.
Rolling up show the menu buttons toolbar I use as the menu bar (top).
Rolling down displays the usual toolbar.
It's just a feeling and for me it's very intuitive.
Daniel
Windows7 SP1 x64 / XY latest stable