Recently Opened Files: interface and launch file double-clicking

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
cadu

Recently Opened Files: interface and launch file double-clicking

Post by cadu » 05 Nov 2019 14:40

Hi,

I’d appreciate your help.

“Recent Locations” has an interface that allows to double-click and open any item directly. “Recent Locations” has always a “list management” interface.

For “Recently Opened Files” I could find just a “list management”.
a) Similarly to “Recent Locations”, is there another “Recently Opened Files” interface in which I can double click and launch a file directly?
b) If no, any workaround to launch a file from the “Recently Opened Files” list management?

Thank you!

highend

Re: Recently Opened Files: interface and launch file double-clicking

Post by highend » 05 Nov 2019 15:02

Apart from File - Open... (where you need to use a drop-down field)?

Write a script that mimics that behavior...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or highend (at) web (dot) de

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 09 Nov 2019 10:32

There is only one place where the Recently Opened Files are used currently, namely in the dropdown of this dialog:
File | Open...

It would indeed make sense to add an interface to quickly open a recently opened file. However, since also file opened via "Open With..." are added to this MRU, I wonder if the opening application shouldn't be stored as well? So, "Open this file again with the same app as last time"...

cadu

Post by cadu » 10 Nov 2019 17:28

I’m glad to hear about the possibility of having an “interface to quickly open a recently opened file”, similarly to Recent Locations.

Besides being consistent on having in XYplorer the Recent Locations/Recent Locations List, and Recent Files/Recent Files List, such interface would bring several advantages over the “File | Open” functionality:
- You could see several files at once
- You could search your files

And regarding: “I wonder if the opening application shouldn't be stored as well? So, ‘Open this file again with the same app as last time’...”
It sounds handy to store the opening application as well, considering there would also be the additional dialog “Open with…”, providing flexibility to choose whatever application you want to open that file. I’ve attached a suggestion.

Thank you!
XYplorer_Recent Files.png
XYplorer_Recent Files.png (156.1 KiB) Viewed 80 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 10 Nov 2019 20:11

That Open With button looks like a good idea to me.