Size Bars visual should be improved

Features wanted...
LittleBiG

Size Bars visual should be improved

Post by LittleBiG »

Unfortunately size bar can't achieve its purpose as it is now. It is not possible to distinguish 1 Mb from 1 Gb easily.
Attachments
2018-07-09_13h57_16.png
2018-07-09_13h57_16.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Size Bars visual should be improved

Post by admin »

True.

Any idea? Maybe the whole size bars feature does not work. Maybe I just should stick to the circles?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Actually what I wanted to see in this case is a "relative" size bar. How the file sizes maintain a relation to each other. The full bar should be next to the biggest in the folder. I didn't want to read the exact sizes by the bars.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have to think about this. It would be a totally different approach.

Florian

display of sizes

Post by Florian »

Hello, I think, a quick visual representation of file/folder sizes can be very helpful. But I'm not sooo happy with the current implementation, see the attached file. Don't you think, is's super misleading/un-intuitive? Everybody would instantly think, the first file is largest, wouldn't he?

I mean, a more simply approach would IMO be much more visually adequate:
length of colored bar ~ size of file/folder Easy! 8)

Of course one has to think about scaling (probably logarithmic), and how to apply colors. Maybe using colors to help differentiate between very small and very large files (instead of complicated/logarithmic/etc.) length algorithms would be most simple?
  • So the length gives a visually super-fast first impression, what files/folders are largest.
  • The colors help to differentia very small / medium / very large. (Or what about different colors for KB, MB, GB ?!)
  • For details you always have the numeric value! Therefore IMO the length of the bar should be a very simple measure, needing no interpretation whatsoever.
What do you think? :-)
Cheers
Florian
Attachments
size.jpg
size.jpg (10.8 KiB) Viewed 3796 times

Marco

Post by Marco »

I always advocated the speedometer analogy for file sizes, because the resulting icon is more compact. How to cope with values spanning across several orders of magnitude? Using more speedometer icons, or a color that conveys the magnitude.
So, for files less than 1 KB, you'd have only one icon or a, let's say, very pale blue icon, with the speedometer arm telling the size;
for files between 1 and 1023 KB, one full speedometer and another one telling the "amount" of KBs, or a single icon with a stronger blue;
and so on.

Using stronger shades of a color to tell the magnitude is not that different from the size circles feature, except that the arm of the speedometer theoretically tells an exact value (size circles don't, they have an inner circle which is not directly proportional to the size).
Using more icons is basically a logarithmic way to solve the problem.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Posix

Post by Posix »

How about this:
Attachments
sug.png
sug.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 3766 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

I don't use size bars myself so have no vested interest in this, but this would be my suggestion after interpreting what others have put forward:

1GB+ = RED
1-999MB = YELLOW
1-999KB = GREEN
LESS 1K = PALE BLUE BACKGROUND

so colors based on traffic lights, and the size bars scale to the files that are currently displayed, with the largest file displayed always being a full bar, whether that is possible IDK.
So for example if your current folder only had files up to 1mb in it the displayed bars would be all green/pale blue and the biggest file shown would be a green full bar, like the red is in the below screenshot.

here is a quick mock up, (sizes aren't to exact ratios, and colors used aren't perfect)
sizebars.png
sizebars.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
And a different folders diplay, with smaller largest file:
sizebars2.png
sizebars2.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 3749 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: display of sizes

Post by admin »

Florian wrote:Hello, I think, a quick visual representation of file/folder sizes can be very helpful. But I'm not sooo happy with the current implementation, see the attached file. Don't you think, is's super misleading/un-intuitive? Everybody would instantly think, the first file is largest, wouldn't he?

I mean, a more simply approach would IMO be much more visually adequate:
length of colored bar ~ size of file/folder Easy! 8)

Of course one has to think about scaling (probably logarithmic), and how to apply colors. Maybe using colors to help differentiate between very small and very large files (instead of complicated/logarithmic/etc.) length algorithms would be most simple?
  • So the length gives a visually super-fast first impression, what files/folders are largest.
  • The colors help to differentia very small / medium / very large. (Or what about different colors for KB, MB, GB ?!)
  • For details you always have the numeric value! Therefore IMO the length of the bar should be a very simple measure, needing no interpretation whatsoever.
Cheers
Florian
Well, I totally agree with this! The current way is rubbish.

OH, wow, inspiration hit me!
:cup: A super-cool logarithmic approach would be let's call it a "Binary Bar". Each pixel is double the size of the previous: 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 ... With the current 50 pixels width of the bar it could hold a maximum of 2^50 = 1 PB (PetaByte, or more exactly Pebibyte) which is enough for current files. And it can be easily enlarged by adding pixels...
With this system I'd keep it at just one color (e.g. the same blue as the circles), else it would just be confusing. Only empty files would be totally grey (like now).

PS: @the others Thanks for the ideas but right now I think the combination of size and colors ultimately should be avoided because it needs too much explanation.

eil

Post by eil »

from some perspective that algorithm is interesting, but that doesn't actually solve the problem.. imo since the introduction of size-bars feature lacked a relative approach = find largest item - that would be full bar, all others bars depict how less in size they are compared to the largest item in current location.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As I said before that's a whole different thing. Needs more thought.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I think your idea is just what's needed here. But I'd hope you apply a bit of scaling:
- drop some left pixels, so that the shortest bar will be just 1 (or 2) pixels long. (Else the left part of all bars wouldn't say much.)
- scale the bar, so that the longest bar will be of full size.

You will never look at a bar, then count the number of pixels, and say "this is between 16384 and 32767", but if scaled you can better decide "this is bigger than that", also for factors smaller than 2. Doesn't help much if smallest and biggest differ veryvery much - but helps if they don't.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, you are right. The logarithmic bar is misleading, it makes small files look big, and big files look small. :(

eil

Post by eil »

the problem of current approach is the same as bars of WinDirStat. i use it for searching "who's taking too much space", but that app at least has size-map, which is grate exactly for visual size compare ability.
Attachments
2018-08-08_020819.png
2018-08-08_020819.png (474.74 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I thought about the problem for the last days and today I came up with something new: "Leveled Bars". Check out the next beta.