Reconstruct / extract image from thumbnail dat2/dbits file

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jojo666

Reconstruct / extract image from thumbnail dat2/dbits file

Post by jojo666 »

Hi,

i recently lost my picture folder that was incorrectly stored to an external drive. Recuva could not restore it, so to at least have some of the memories in a small version, I need to extract the image information from the dbits files of XY's thumbnail cache.

Is there a way to do that? Please help me for years of family and friends memories depend on that :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Re: Reconstruct / extract image from thumbnail dat2/dbits file

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's theoretically possible, so keep the files, all will be good. But this does not work out of the box and right now I have not the time for it.

Don

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

You should make a backup of the dat2 and dbit files or even the entire Thumbnails folder. If you did a "Refresh Thumbnails" of the actual folder of photos which no longer exist, it will wipe out those the subject thumbnails contained in the dbits file which obviously you don't want to do. Though if the folder no longer has any pictures the refresh thumbnail action would be grayed out of under View > Caches > Refresh Thumbnails unless you placed an image in that folder since your problem. Good luck.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still interested?

The next beta version can do it. It's not hard to do, but you might need a little help with it. Just ask here...

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

jojo666, the OP should be pleased with this new SC rethumb. Though I think ExtractThumb may have been more fitting. :)

I tried it and it worked great. There probably wouldn't be a big use for it unless someone runs into a issue like the OP, but it's nice to have if/when needed and I'm thinking there could be some practical uses in the future. It wouldn't be hard to automate the process by providing / obtaining the folder desired, breaking down the dat2 files to locate the proper dats/dbit file combination for the image folder, retrieving the hash number to be used, and then plugging it into the new SC. Big thumbs up for your SC sync as well. :tup: :appl:
Thanks.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:jojo666, the OP should be pleased with this new SC rethumb. Though I think ExtractThumb may have been more fitting. :)
Yes, right. But I like the word Rethumb. :) I also thought of Uncache or Decache. Since almost nobody will use it (well, like you, I can imagine some uses actually...), who cares... :biggrin:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Don, this is a very generous move!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Filehero wrote:Don, this is a very generous move!
Well, looks like it wasn't so important after all... lol

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Well, looks like it wasn't so important after all... lol
Maybe a backup was found somewhere.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Or maybe jojo666 didn't expect it so fast?

But as he never has shown any further reaction...
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

PsychicDeath

Post by PsychicDeath »

admin wrote: 09 Sep 2017 16:24 Still interested?

The next beta version can do it. It's not hard to do, but you might need a little help with it. Just ask here...
Just to confirm , you can resurrect the thumb images to view if you have .dat2 and .dbits files?
If so, what are the steps involved?
Thank you.

jupe

Post by jupe »

In the meantime until admin get a chance to reply, I can let you know how I think it can be done, but I haven't tested this recently with the old dat2 thumbnail format. Thumbnail storage format has changed in recent versions, so I think you'll need an old version to achieve what you want, eg. versions between 18.40 to 23.40 which can be downloaded from https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

Then navigate to the folder where you have both the dat2 and dbits files, and select one of either extension (there needs to be matching filenames, 1 of each filetype) and run this command from the XY addressbar.

rethumb <curitempath>, <curbase>, "C:\folder_to_output_thumbnail_to";

Look to the statusbar afterwards to see if it was successful. You could write a script to automate doing it on all the files automatically if you need to do it on a lot.

PsychicDeath

Post by PsychicDeath »

jupe wrote: 01 Mar 2024 02:45 In the meantime until admin get a chance to reply, I can let you know how I think it can be done, but I haven't tested this recently with the old dat2 thumbnail format. Thumbnail storage format has changed in recent versions, so I think you'll need an old version to achieve what you want, eg. versions between 18.40 to 23.40 which can be downloaded from https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

Then navigate to the folder where you have both the dat2 and dbits files, and select one of either extension (there needs to be matching filenames, 1 of each filetype) and run this command from the XY addressbar.

rethumb <curitempath>, <curbase>, "C:\folder_to_output_thumbnail_to";

Look to the statusbar afterwards to see if it was successful. You could write a script to automate doing it on all the files automatically if you need to do it on a lot.
This absolutely worked. Thank you.
I was wondering now about how to write a script for this, as there is indeed lots.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Something like this should work:

Code: Select all

$outfol = "C:\folder_to_output_thumbnail_to";
  foreach($file, quicksearch("*.dat2 /fn"), <crlf>) {
    $base = gpc($file, "base");
    if (exists("$base.dbits")) { rethumb <curpath>, $base, $outfol; }
  }
It will process the whole folder that is open in the active pane (not subfolders). If you need to modify the script, you can lookup in the help file each scripting command I have used for more info.