Creating new files in XYplorer

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
angelique

Creating new files in XYplorer

Post by angelique »

In Windows Explorer, you can click "File," or right click in a folder, and create a new Word, Excell or other document. I can't figure out how to do this in XYplorer.

serendipity

Re: Creating new files in XYplorer

Post by serendipity »

angelique wrote:In Windows Explorer, you can click "File," or right click in a folder, and create a new Word, Excell or other document. I can't figure out how to do this in XYplorer.
In XYplorer its called "New Items", its a revolutionary feature. Find out why from the XYWiki:
http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/New_Items

bergfex

Re: Creating new files in XYplorer

Post by bergfex »

serendipity wrote: In XYplorer its called "New Items", its a revolutionary feature.
So, that is one of the many many features I really love. :P
It saves me so much time every time I use it...

CitizenD

Post by CitizenD »

Wow - I've been using XYPlorer for months and had no idea of this little gem.

This is one of the features that needs a bit more focus - it's unique, configurable, and a time saver.

Cheers,

D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

CitizenD wrote:Wow - I've been using XYPlorer for months and had no idea of this little gem.
I'll add it to the Tips... :)

panorama

Post by panorama »

admin wrote:I'll add it to the Tips... :)
Gotta publicize this one. It blew my mind when I discovered it! (By asking on this amazing forum) Thanks all!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Re-activating this as it's perfectly related to my question:

So just how does one create a brand new file of type 'whatever' that WinExpl already has as an option on its "New" sub-menu?
Using New Items presumes you have something of a model file that you wish to use, but if you wish to start with a brand new file, it seems that one must either start the related appl and then initiate a new file that way, or use WinExpl, neither of which is that great...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Re-activating this as it's perfectly related to my question:

So just how does one create a brand new file of type 'whatever' that WinExpl already has as an option on its "New" sub-menu?
Using New Items presumes you have something of a model file that you wish to use, but if you wish to start with a brand new file, it seems that one must either start the related appl and then initiate a new file that way, or use WinExpl, neither of which is that great...
The WinExpl "New" menu is not present in XY. It is created based on registry entries done by certain installed applicaitons. I most cases it just creates a 0 byte dummy with the right extension. You can do the same in XY by Ctrl+Shift+N and changing the extension manually. It's bit less comfortable but you have far more possibilities. WinExpl only offers a dozen or so on my system (and there's no interface to configure that list).

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

I just created those "New" files from within Windows Explorer into XYplorers "New Items" folder. Now i have exactly those files that i need from Explorers "New"-list in XYplores "New items" list too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pagat wrote:I just created those "New" files from within Windows Explorer into XYplorers "New Items" folder. Now i have exactly those files that i need from Explorers "New"-list in XYplores "New items" list too.
Yo, smart!

This thread inspired me to think about a new UDC category "New" (Create new file or folder with specified name), that supports variables like <curdir> and <dyyyymmdd>. Option: File // Folder. Maybe an additional text field "Clone from:" where you can define some existing item just like it works in the New Items menu.

Anybody interested?
Last edited by admin on 11 Nov 2007 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

bergfex

Post by bergfex »

admin wrote:Anybody interested?
Sounds great! :P

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Yes.

You might want to look at New file Wizard from Qunomsoft http://www.qunomsoft.com/nf_index.htm . The templates are similar to XY's but there may be something there that triggers off an idea in your head.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:Yes.

You might want to look at New file Wizard from Qunomsoft http://www.qunomsoft.com/nf_index.htm . The templates are similar to XY's but there may be something there that triggers off an idea in your head.
You mean something specific? I don't want ot bloat the interface more than necessary, and keep the advanced power in the scripting/syntax/variables. Keep the hardcore hard! :)

In the meantime it came to my sleepy mind that this new "New" UDC will also serve an old idea of mine called "Copy Here"! Like this: If you define a clone source but no new name, then the name of the clone source will be taken. Nobody understood that, no problem. Here is why I like it: I often need a fresh copy of XYplorer.exe right here (the folder where I am currently). Now, with a "New"-UDC simply clone-pointing to my main XY-application-path I just press, say, "Ctrl+4" and a fresh copy is created where I am. VERY cool!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:...You mean something specific?...
Not something specific, just to look at what they have done to get some ideas.

I find that seeing how somebody else has tackled a problem can give me an idea how I would want to do it, or perhaps how I definitely would not do it.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
Pagat wrote:I just created those "New" files from within Windows Explorer into XYplorers "New Items" folder. Now i have exactly those files that i need from Explorers "New"-list in XYplores "New items" list too.
Yo, smart!
:roll: Why didn't I think of that?

Ok...so to help others out in future, I've just updated the NewItems section in wiki with an Info Tip about this method...Thanks, Pagat!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.