XYplorer tutorial

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

XYplorer tutorial

Post by admin »

This is exactly what needed to be done: A short introduction with many screenshots! Great job!! :D

http://vbatips.wordpress.com/2007/08/06 ... al-part-1/

ugus

Post by ugus »

Thanks Don!

This is my small contribution to the XY community. This will be (when finished...) :roll: a short tutorial that will cover the main features of XYplorer. I have links to XYwiki so the user can at anytime dig deeper into XYplorer.

I will try update the existing parts of the tutorial over time as to improve it and keep it up-to-date with XYplorer.

/Ulrik

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I took a look at it also, and in general, it's done quite well...but there are a few places where the English seems a bit, shall I say, 'unusual'?...I'll admit that English can be tricky sometimes, even for us native speakers!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

ugus

Post by ugus »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I took a look at it also, and in general, it's done quite well...but there are a few places where the English seems a bit, shall I say, 'unusual'?...I'll admit that English can be tricky sometimes, even for us native speakers!
:oops: ...I must admit that english isn't my native language so please propose corrections to me if you have the time...Just send me comments with the pm and I will try to fix it.

/Ulrik

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

No need to be :oops: ! Like I said, English can be weird at times!
I'll be happy to send you comments via PM, but it may take a few days, due to work here...

BTW, you may have read somewhere here that my heritage is Swedish! 8)
My Mom was from Katrineholm and my Dad from Helevik...
Unfortunately, I never learned Swedish as a kid, and now my brain is a bit old to catch on to it...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Wow!! this is nice for the newbies, great job Ulrik! Like JC said english can really be strange. So dont worry if one of us find anything odd we will point out at the blog.

ugus

New part of the XYplorer tutorial posted!

Post by ugus »

The third part of the XYplorer tutorial describes
the Advanced tab in Configuration.

http://vbatips.wordpress.com/2007/08/11 ... -advanced/

I would really appreciate feedback on this tutorial, either here in forum or posted comments on the blog.

PS, I think the tutorial's english is slightly more understandable now... :wink:

DS, Thanks Jacky for the superb XYwiki. I have based my tutorial on the XYwiki, just trying to simplify and hopefully make the topics really easy to understand even for the newbie.

The work is in progress, and even the old parts of the tutorial are updated continuously.

/Ulrik

admin
Site Admin

Re: New part of the XYplorer tutorial posted!

Post by admin »

ugus wrote:The third part of the XYplorer tutorial describes
the Advanced tab in Configuration.
Well done! Again: I like the graphic way to explain things. I think I'm not the only one. We are already in the post-literal age: more and more people need pictures to understand things.

PS: did you make an English crash course or hire a language slave? :wink:

ugus

Re: New part of the XYplorer tutorial posted!

Post by ugus »

admin wrote: PS: did you make an English crash course or hire a language slave? :wink:
:)

I did the real work on the first tutorial really early in the morning so I suppose my brain was missing coffee...

Partly joking...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Finally went there and looked for more than a few secs, it does look great indeed. Nice work there, ugus. :)
Just like Don, I think the good use of pictures might be seen as much helpful for some people, especially newbies who might be "scared" a little by some huge chunks of text from Help file or wiki, especially on some areas such as Configuration....

Quick couple of things I notice while reading it, hope you won't mind:
- Part 2: On your screencap of XYplorer's auto-complete, may I ask why the MRU list (text) isn't in blue ? You can do whatever you want with your color settings, but for such screencaps it might be best/less confusing to try and stay with default/usual values, and unless I'm mistaking it should be shown with your marked text color 2 (which is somewhat blue by default), no?

- Part 3: regarding "Custom items in shell context menu" when you say:
If disabled XYplorer’s custom context menu items will be turned off (your right-click menu in Explorer will not contain any custom XYplorer items)
Might be me, but I find your last sentence a bit "odd" or misleading, because after speaking of disabling the option not to have XY's items on Tree/List items ctxt menus, you mention they won't be under Explorer either.
It could sound like, enabling it will have them shown under Explorer as well, while this is not the case!
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

ugus

Post by ugus »

jacky wrote: Quick couple of things I notice while reading it, hope you won't mind:
- Part 2: On your screencap of XYplorer's auto-complete, may I ask why the MRU list (text) isn't in blue ? You can do whatever you want with your color settings, but for such screencaps it might be best/less confusing to try and stay with default/usual values, and unless I'm mistaking it should be shown with your marked text color 2 (which is somewhat blue by default), no?
:) Fixed!
jacky wrote:
- Part 3: regarding "Custom items in shell context menu" when you say:
If disabled XYplorer’s custom context menu items will be turned off (your right-click menu in Explorer will not contain any custom XYplorer items)
Might be me, but I find your last sentence a bit "odd" or misleading, because after speaking of disabling the option not to have XY's items on Tree/List items ctxt menus, you mention they won't be under Explorer either.
It could sound like, enabling it will have them shown under Explorer as well, while this is not the case!

Absolutely correct Jacky, I missed that one! Fixed!

Thanks for the great input Jacky!
Cheers Ulrik

ugus

Fourth part of the XYTutorial is up

Post by ugus »

The fourth part of the XYplorer tutorial describes
the Colors tab in Configuration.

http://vbatips.wordpress.com/2007/08/12 ... on-colors/

The part about the Color filters will be finished a bit later on... (maybe tonight or tomorrow...)

The work is in progress, and even the old parts of the tutorial are updated continuously in order to make it better and easier to understand. :)

The goal is to make the tutorial really easy to understand, so XYplorer beginners can get up to speed quick in using XY.

/Ulrik

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fourth part of the XYTutorial is up

Post by admin »

ugus wrote:The fourth part of the XYplorer tutorial describes
Great! :D You are getting into a flow, right? Your screenshot machine does overtime. Somebody should take (some of) those shots and place them into the xywiki. (I'm excused because I'm programming all the time. :) )

ugus

Post by ugus »

admin wrote:
ugus wrote:The fourth part of the XYplorer tutorial describes
Great! :D You are getting into a flow, right? Your screenshot machine does overtime. Somebody should take (some of) those shots and place them into the xywiki. (I'm excused because I'm programming all the time. :) )
Yes, it was weekend (free from work...) and I had some free blocks of time so...

To put some of the screenshots in XYwiki? yes good thought!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

ugus wrote:To put some of the screenshots in XYwiki? yes good thought!
I was thinking that also...actually, I was wondering if the completed tutorials could be made a separate "section" (or whatever term is correct) within the wiki, so that it could more easily be found by newbies...though having it where it is now has advantages of being more places that Google will find hits on XY, but it could be in both places...