Assign program to each item in Catalog

Features wanted...
jsc572

Assign program to each item in Catalog

Post by jsc572 »

Hi,

Would be wonderful to have the ability to assign an item in the catalog to be opened by a specified program independent of the external/internal file association.

example:
all .html (internally associated with Opera)
an .html ext webpage in the catalog assigned to IE.

implementation:
In Catalog "Edit Item Properties" box, add a choice "To be opened by *.exe"

Does anyone else find this useful?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

I have my catalog set like this:

For example, I use Irfanview for viewing images normally , but for special purpose I use Photofiltre by dragging any item onto this exe in catalog. Similarly, I can have any number of other image editing applications and all i need to do is drag my file on the appropriate application exe in the catalog.

Is this what you wanted?

PS: Note that, any catalog item>right-click>properties>"open on click" will launch items directly.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Assign program to each item in Catalog

Post by admin »

jsc572 wrote:Would be wonderful to have the ability to assign an item in the catalog to be opened by a specified program independent of the external/internal file association.
When I add scriptable hotkeys the script will also be understood by the catalog (actually it will be understood by everywhere in XY :) ). So in the field currently tagged "Destination" you can place your task "run X with Y" (I'm still meditating about the syntax...).

:idea: Little idea just dropped in: we already can launch EXEs from the Catalog. What if those EXEs would open any currently selected files (in the file list)!?! Hmmm, maybe not always wanted, but sometimes surely a nice-quick alternative to drag-n-drop...

jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: Assign program to each item in Catalog

Post by jacky »

admin wrote: :idea: Little idea just dropped in: we already can launch EXEs from the Catalog. What if those EXEs would open any currently selected files (in the file list)!?! Hmmm, maybe not always wanted, but sometimes surely a nice-quick alternative to drag-n-drop...
Hell no! I mean, maybe at times it could be useful, but I'm pretty muse most of the times it would really not.

To have such a thing, for non-dragging users to do that, I would suggest more to add an item on Catalog's EXE's "Open on click" items context menu something like, under "Open" have a "Open Selected List Item(s) With This Application"
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

jsc572

Post by jsc572 »

The idea is to have these one-off items launch from a different app in the most convenient way. to have to drop these items from catalog to an exe in the catalog defeats the whole purpose.

Let's say that I don't use IE, but have this one webpage that must be displayed with IE's prop tags, I don't want to have this URL + IE.exe in the catalog, just hit URL and open up with IE like any other catalog items except it will use the program specified in the item dialog box. saves time and space.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jsc572 wrote:The idea is to have these one-off items launch from a different app in the most convenient way. to have to drop these items from catalog to an exe in the catalog defeats the whole purpose.

Let's say that I don't use IE, but have this one webpage that must be displayed with IE's prop tags, I don't want to have this URL + IE.exe in the catalog, just hit URL and open up with IE like any other catalog items except it will use the program specified in the item dialog box. saves time and space.
Okay, sounds like a good thing to have. The implementation needs a bit of thought... later.