Specific date search option

Features wanted...
Daniel Davis

Specific date search option

Post by Daniel Davis »

I'd really like to see the option (not requiring a code) to search for a file created or modified ON a specific DATE. I'm currently using version 14.3 of the pro version...so this may have been fixed via a later version. Has it?

aliteralmind

Re: Specific date search option

Post by aliteralmind »

I believe this is what you want: "Window > Show Info Panel > Find Files > Date"

You likely want to also tick "Name" under "Applied Filters", and for "on a specific day", set the between start to the desired day at midnight, and end to "1 d".

Last edited by aliteralmind on 22 Dec 2014 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

No....what I want is attached to this file. I want to avoid having to type into 2 boxes when all I want is a specific date.
Attachments
Specific date search: proposed screen
Specific date search: proposed screen
specific date xyp.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

I see. You want to just choose a date, and have it automatically set the time to midnight and the end date to "1 d". Makes sense.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The way to do is like this:
SearchSpecificDate.png
SearchSpecificDate.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
The "1d" is remembered so you just have to type the date to change it.

Daniel Davis

Post by Daniel Davis »

Oh...I see...about the 1d thing. That should get me by. About the TIME...I never need to find a file where TIME of creation/modification is an issue..only DATE.

Thanks. This will make xy a lot more useful for me....as long as the technique doesn't return day before and day after. I'll give it a try.

Didn't work. Will have to tinker with it again as time permits.

It really would be a lot easier to use if the box simply gave an option for ON in addition to BETWEEN....and leave off TIME altogether...or at least allow a permanent option to leave off TIME in all searches. Also...would be easier if DATE were on the same page with FILENAME and LOCATION...and DATE brought up a calendar that could be clicked instead of having to type it in. Having to hunt another tab when you're trying to do a search just adds time and frustration to the task. Not complaining. Just ideas from my perspective on how I use file handlers. I switched to xy from PowerDesk a couple years ago.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Daniel Davis wrote:Didn't work.
A little more info maybe...?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Daniel Davis wrote:Also...would be easier if DATE were on the same page with FILENAME and LOCATION...and DATE brought up a calendar that could be clicked instead of having to type it in. Having to hunt another tab when you're trying to do a search just adds time and frustration to the task
I find it much easier the way it is now as i can quickly isolate what filters are applied and set the desired values....and the name/Location tab is quite crowded already so no place to put it...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Daniel Davis wrote:...and DATE brought up a calendar that could be clicked instead of having to type it in.
That's something I miss badly, too. It always takes a 3rd party tool to tell weekdays from weekends before entering a fitting date, not to mention I am much more error-prone working portable on foreign machines that have different international date formats. Every so often it takes a second go-araound after swapping mm-dd with dd-mm.
A calendar popup would solve all of these issues.