Runtime error 226 at 00005D24

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Cynthia Moore

Runtime error 226 at 00005D24

Post by Cynthia Moore »

I downloaded and installed XY a few hours ago. I had been playing with it off and on. A few minutes ago, I right-clicked on a file in the right panel and got the Runtime Error 226 as shows in the attaches screen shot. XY was unresponsive (still is). A few minutes later, I got the error message from Dr Watson shown in the second attached screen shot. Both XY and the Runtime Error popup are frozen. After I post this message, I will force them and reboot.

Edit: When I forced the error message popup, XY closed as well. When I restarted it, it had lost the settings I had when it was open. That is,the panels were configured differently and there were different tabs active.
Attachments
File #2: Error message from Dr Watson
File #2: Error message from Dr Watson
XYplorer 20140928 2029 DrWatson Postmortem.jpg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
File #1: Error message from XY
File #1: Error message from XY
XYplorer 20140928 2022 Runtime error 226.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
Using Win 10 on a Surface Book, the worst computer I have ever owned

Cynthia Moore

Re: Runtime error 226 at 00005D24

Post by Cynthia Moore »

After rebooting, I tried right-clicking on a file in the folder tree on the left and got the message in the attached screen shot. Is XY compatible with Win XP?

Edit: I just got the same error again. This time I was right-clicking on the main Dropbox folder to add a subfolder. When I cleared the error, XY closed. I restarted it and tried again. This time it worked without an error and I was able to create the subfolder.
Attachments
XYplorer 20140928 2141 C++ Runtime Error.jpg
XYplorer 20140928 2141 C++ Runtime Error.jpg (30.8 KiB) Viewed 3753 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cynthia Moore

Post by Cynthia Moore »

admin wrote:Hi,

please read this: http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctxcrash

Don
This seems like a cop-out to me. How come it works for WE and not XY? I've never had this type of problem with WE.

If I did follow those instructions and found that the "culprit" is Dropbox and I have to choose between XY and Dropbox+WE, guess which it will be.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The buggy shell extension issue is as old as alternative file managers and it affects every alternative file manager out there. Only Explorer is not affected and nobody knows why. Yes, it's a pity and a fact.

Dropbox, however, is not a typical candidate here. This is a surprise. Me and many others are using Dropbox without any problems. Weird!

Cynthia Moore

Post by Cynthia Moore »

I'm not sure it's only Dropbox. I got the error twice. I think I was right-clicking on a different file the other time, but I can't be 100% sure of that.

I can't spend any more time on this today. If there is something you want me to do to try to isolate the problem, spell it out and I'll try it when I get some free time -- probably late tonight or tomorrow.

Cynthia Moore

Post by Cynthia Moore »

I keep getting this error and this time Dropbox is not running.

I do not understand the instructions:
To verify the above simply tick Configuration | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu and see whether the issue disappears.
Where am I supposed to execute these commands? I don't see any Configuration option in XY.

And what what does "tick" mean. Should it have been "Click"?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Cynthia Moore wrote:Where am I supposed to execute these commands? I don't see any Configuration option in XY.
It's NOT a set of commands to be executed -and- I think you have been using XY long enough to know that Configuration is the first option within the Tools menu...no? Most users find it within the first few minutes of using XY.
And what what does "tick" mean. Should it have been "Click"?
It's a checkbox so tick simply means to set the option to yes...what else could it mean? We don't/can't use click because that doesn't imply what the desired status is whereas tick/untick does, ok?

I don't mean to sound harsh but you're making comments that imply you have less knowledge of the product than someone who's only used it for less than an hour and we know that's not true...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Cynthia Moore

Post by Cynthia Moore »

j_c_hallgren wrote:It's NOT a set of commands to be executed -and- I think you have been using XY long enough to know that Configuration is the first option within the Tools menu...no? Most users find it within the first few minutes of using XY.
I can't decide whether you are calling me an idiot or a pest. Either way, it's pretty insulting.

I had no idea where to look for Configure. I did look on the XY command line, but there is no Configure there. If it had said Tools | Configure, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I kinda thought it might be a Windows option, because the FAQ implied that it had to do with the Windows right-click context menus.
It's a checkbox so tick simply means to set the option to yes...what else could it mean? We don't/can't use click because that doesn't imply what the desired status is whereas tick/untick does, ok?
Now that I know that it is a checkbox, it makes more sense. But even so, I find "tick" a little jargon-y. I'd use the term "check".

Quite frankly, unless XY is intended only for experienced/advanced Windows users, that FAQ is very badly worded. Here's my suggested wording to replace the second paragraph.

To verify the above, do this from XY:
  • Clear the error (Click OK).
  • Go to Tools | Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety.
  • In the Context Menus section, check the Hide shell extensions from shell context menu checkbox.
  • Click OK.
Then retry right-clicking the same file that caused the error. If the problem disappears, it is probably caused by another program. etc...

Then I think it should say what effect checking that checkbox will have. What functionality will be lost. If none, then why isn't it checked by default?

Also, in the second line, "softwares" should not be plural. This is a nit, but might as well correct it.
I don't mean to sound harsh but you're making comments that imply you have less knowledge of the product than someone who's only used it for less than an hour and we know that's not true...
There you go again. Are you calling me stupid or dishonest?

Did you write that FAQ? If so, I don't think you should write any more of them. I think you are too close to the program. It is common for very experienced people to have trouble relating to newbies. And if those people have little patience, they can be very condescending. Does that sound like anyone we know?

Cynthia Moore

Post by Cynthia Moore »

I checked the Hide shell extensions checkbox. This seems to have stopped the errors. I won't know for sure for a few days as it was intermittent.

I am reluctant to run the Shell Extensions Manager, because it mucks around in the Registry. What is the downside of just leaving that checkbox checked?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Cynthia Moore wrote:I can't decide whether you are calling me an idiot or a pest. Either way, it's pretty insulting.
Actually it's neither one of those -- I'm saying that your nbr of posts here and date joined imply that we can give you or use some shortcuts/abbreviations in answers as was done by Don...if it were your first post here, then we'd not expect that knowledge level. It would be insulting to give an experienced XY user answers written for a beginner, but not the reverse, I believe.
Now that I know that it is a checkbox, it makes more sense. But even so, I find "tick" a little jargon-y. I'd use the term "check".
Tick is a very common alternative term used in this case and it's what Don tends to use.
There you go again. Are you calling me stupid or dishonest?
Again - neither of those...I am/was giving you credit for having a certain level of knowledge/experience with XY and/or other FM's...and that implies that you knew some things that you may not have (which I just found highly unusual) so thus my comments are based on that.
Did you write that FAQ? If so, I don't think you should write any more of them. I think you are too close to the program. It is common for very experienced people to have trouble relating to newbies. And if those people have little patience, they can be very condescending. Does that sound like anyone we know?
I think I can still relate to newbies here IF they are such based on dates/postings but I presumed you were already well beyond that point given that your first activity here was 77 days ago...

maybe I'm unique but for almost any new software I install/execute, I locate (and begin to set) any customizations within 5-10 minutes...and I thought you'd done so as well as most every new XY user seems to do.

I didn't think I'd have any issues by giving a user credit for knowing more about XY....I apologize if I offended you as that was never my intent...but answers here are often based on what you've presumed to already know and until we know that you don't know something, we'll typically reply with as one as short/concise as possible to save time/typing, ok?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

Cynthia Moore wrote:Here's my suggested wording to replace the second paragraph.

To verify the above, do this from XY:
  • Clear the error (Click OK).
  • Go to Tools | Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Safety.
  • In the Context Menus section, check the Hide shell extensions from shell context menu checkbox.
  • Click OK.
Then retry right-clicking the same file that caused the error. If the problem disappears, it is probably caused by another program. etc...
I think the suggested change to the FAQ is a good one (particularly adding the top-level "Tools" to the location of the configuration option). I hope whoever maintains the FAQ entries (Don?) will consider incorporating the change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks, done.