Delete = File In Use

Features wanted...
Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 22 Jun 2014 11:23

Would be great to have enhancement in XY / XYcopy providing list of processes in detail which prevent a file from being deleted via the age old meaningless message of "File In Use." Better yet, having in addition, a button that terminates the handle locking the file from being deleted (a forced delete).
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor

Marco
Posts: 2202
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 15:20

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Marco » 22 Jun 2014 11:31

Basically a hook/link to (portable) Unlocker [just saying]
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

binocular222
Posts: 1406
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 05:35
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby binocular222 » 22 Jun 2014 11:39

XY cannot do so. Use Lockhunter instead http://lockhunter.com/
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9243#p82488

Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 22 Jun 2014 16:00

binocular222 wrote:XY cannot do so. Use Lockhunter instead http://lockhunter.com/

It's a request to do so. BTW, Why would anyone want (YAT) yet another tool?

BTW, binocular222, thanks for the link!

It's just from my perspective XY is a file management tool and having a powerful way to address locked files really goes with the environment.
Last edited by Zardoz2293 on 22 Jun 2014 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor

Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 22 Jun 2014 16:07

Marco wrote:Basically a hook/link to (portable) Unlocker [just saying]

Frankly, any improvement is HIGHLY welcome. If you happen to do a RENAME with a "file-in-use" you can get into a ridiculous back-n-forth set of dialogs as it can't rename, and when it returns back to XY it again tries to rename in a loop, unless you hit the escape key at exactly the right time to break the inline rename.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor

binocular222
Posts: 1406
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 05:35
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby binocular222 » 22 Jun 2014 16:52

It's a good feature in a file manager, which I already asked before, however, also a fairly complex task. I doubt that Don will ever have time for this
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9243#p82488

Papoulka
Posts: 443
Joined: 13 Jul 2013 23:41

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Papoulka » 22 Jun 2014 17:58

"It's a good feature in a file manager, which I already asked before, however, also a fairly complex task. I doubt that Don will ever have time for this"

I agree with Zardoz2293... I had lots of trouble with XY trying to rename a folder that XY itself was apparetnly locking - just because that folder was open in XY, or a file locked for some non-obvious reason. Part of the problem is that XY doesn't force its error messages to the top, so often they would be invisible. Makes it appear to be a loop.

So I would love to see robust file and folder unlocking in XY.

But I also hear what binocluar222 is saying about available time. If unlocking was simple there would be more tools to do it. Collomb's Unlocker seems to have been taken over by others who are turning it into a marketing machine.

So, thanks to binocular222 for the link to Lockhunter. I'll be glad to try that. I see its made by the same outfit that makes USB Safely Remove, which is the best such tool I've ever found. It fixed 90% of the endless problems I've had with removal.

Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 23 Jun 2014 17:42

Papoulka wrote:"It's a good feature in a file manager, which I already asked before, however, also a fairly complex task. I doubt that Don will ever have time for this"

I agree with Zardoz2293... I had lots of trouble with XY trying to rename a folder that XY itself was apparetnly locking - just because that folder was open in XY, or a file locked for some non-obvious reason. Part of the problem is that XY doesn't force its error messages to the top, so often they would be invisible. Makes it appear to be a loop.

So I would love to see robust file and folder unlocking in XY.

But I also hear what binocluar222 is saying about available time. If unlocking was simple there would be more tools to do it. Collomb's Unlocker seems to have been taken over by others who are turning it into a marketing machine.

So, thanks to binocular222 for the link to Lockhunter. I'll be glad to try that. I see its made by the same outfit that makes USB Safely Remove, which is the best such tool I've ever found. It fixed 90% of the endless problems I've had with removal.

Frankly, the complexity argument doesn't float with me as there are many things in XY that are "complex" yet they exist. It is significantly more complex within XY to manage the folders and files it has "opened/locked" rather than writing code to traverse the memory handle objects for a specific file or folder that is known to be locked.

File / Folder locking has become a MP (my problem) not an YP (your problem) concern and that's the real problem and source why it's always in the background for support in the industry as a generalization where the developer claims to rarely, if ever, encounter the concern and / or there are few, if any, complaints regarding the concern. If tomorrow a large majority of those in the XY forum made a lot of noise for having this support, it is quite possible, the priority level would be changed to a near future project. Regardless, from my perception, XY is a file management tool with a significant visual component and should have robust file open/locking handling that is slick. I'd say that 99 percent of all my gripes with XY are directly related to how open/locked files/folders are handled: Tree View, Preview, Rename and Delete and of course the dialog messages that get "stuck" into the background (where you don't know they exist). I'll point a single 'finger' to the real culprit regarding this whole file open/locked is Microsoft. Why? Simple. You pass a file/folder object to the Windows API (whatever flavor) and if it fail it should pass an object to a list of what has locks on it -- this might lead to countries around the world having a increase in their GDP form higher productivity. Since it isn't there one needs to build the capability.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor

SammaySarkar
Posts: 3826
Joined: 12 Mar 2014 17:27
Location: Asteroid B-612 / Dhaka

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby SammaySarkar » 23 Jun 2014 18:01

... the developer claims to rarely, if ever, encounter the concern and / or there are few, if any, complaints regarding the concern. If tomorrow a large majority of those in the XY forum made a lot of noise for having this support, it is quite possible, the priority level would be changed to a near future project. ...

That's not true. Browse the bug reports and wishes subforums. You'll find many fixed bugs /granted wishes which were backed by a single person. The wish needs to be sensible, is all.
And come to your file-locking problem: do you expect Don to fix a bug which neither he, nor anybody else has faced? (I didn't get locked files using WinRAR, sfx. I think some other app, perhaps a shell extension,is responsible for the file-locks you've been experiencing.)
>> XYplorer Features | Scripts Overview | User-Defined-Functions <<

- - - - - - - - - - - -
status: lazily perfecting XYplorer on Archlinux.

Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 23 Jun 2014 19:15

SammaySarkar wrote:That's not true. Browse the bug reports and wishes subforums. You'll find many fixed bugs /granted wishes which were backed by a single person. The wish needs to be sensible, is all. And come to your file-locking problem: do you expect Don to fix a bug which neither he, nor anybody else has faced? (I didn't get locked files using WinRAR, sfx. I think some other app, perhaps a shell extension,is responsible for the file-locks you've been experiencing.)

My statement is absoultely true. You are making an assumption I'm specifically talking about the developer of XY. I'm not. It's a generalized statement of the industry.

SammaySarkar wrote:And come to your file-locking problem: do you expect Don to fix a bug which neither he, nor anybody else has faced? (I didn't get locked files using WinRAR, sfx. I think some other app, perhaps a shell extension,is responsible for the file-locks you've been experiencing.)

I think you should really read what's being said. I really can't respond as your statements imply you either can't or are unable to read. The graphic photo on LockHunter shows XY holding the locks. ID-10-T
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor

SammaySarkar
Posts: 3826
Joined: 12 Mar 2014 17:27
Location: Asteroid B-612 / Dhaka

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby SammaySarkar » 23 Jun 2014 19:48

It's a generalized statement of the industry.
Okay.
The graphic photo on LockHunter shows XY holding the locks

Yes, that's why I mentioned shell extensions. But it's also possible that other programs lock the file even though XY is shown as the "lock source".


quoting "ID-10-T": please turn off the flamethrower.
>> XYplorer Features | Scripts Overview | User-Defined-Functions <<

- - - - - - - - - - - -
status: lazily perfecting XYplorer on Archlinux.

Zardoz2293
Posts: 480
Joined: 09 Nov 2011 20:20
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Delete = File In Use

Postby Zardoz2293 » 15 Jun 2018 02:04

Build 19.0.0102 (2018)-06-14) has introduced the file locking bug where a file which is highlighted (selected) in XY cannot be deleted.

Build 19.0.0006 (2018-05-30) doesn't have this concern.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit) | 980X @4.5GHz, 24GB @PC3-16000/2000 Mhz, SSD | Dual Monitor


Return to “Wishes”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest