Like a new feature? Say thanks here

Say it if you mean it...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John Bee wrote:If I choose a folder not on another tab, then it gets shown in the default tab, great, but if while on the default tab, I choose a folder in the tree that is on one of the other tabs, it does not make that tab focused but stays in the default tab and shows it there.
Sure, unless you lock your default tab this is expected.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I would expect the default tab to change only when no other tab contains the requested folder location! And without locking it...just because I'm on the default doesn't mean I want to use it when I already have another tab pointing there...I'd expect XY to swap tabs in this case.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I would expect the default tab to change only when no other tab contains the requested folder location! And without locking it...just because I'm on the default doesn't mean I want to use it when I already have another tab pointing there...I'd expect XY to swap tabs in this case.
I would not expect this behavior, but you can achieve it anyway easily by simply locking the default tab.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I would expect the default tab to change only when no other tab contains the requested folder location! And without locking it...just because I'm on the default doesn't mean I want to use it when I already have another tab pointing there...I'd expect XY to swap tabs in this case.
Well I would definately not! I mean that tab is still a "regular" tab and should behave as such, only it's being used instead of creating new ones on some occasions.
But browsing/changing location of this tab should be nothing different that any other tab. I mean,
just because I'm on the default doesn't mean I want to use it when I already have another tab pointing there...I'd expect XY to swap tabs in this case.
Why?? XY doesn't switch tab when you change location of a tab to a location that is already opened in another tab, so why would this behavior be any different with the default tab?
Don't wanna use it, then switch to the other tab yourself (just like with any other tab) ;) (or as Don says, you could lock the default tab...)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

:roll: Ok...I'll admit to a slight mis-understanding here, ok? :oops:
I won't take time to explain it but just accept my :? please!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

But, I kind of like the idea.
If I select a location in the tree and that location is already opened in another tab, why not switch to that tab instead of having two tabs pointing to the same location?
Isn't that the behaviour of GoTo and AB already, so why not extend it to regular tree selections as well?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

RalphM wrote:But, I kind of like the idea.
If I select a location in the tree and that location is already opened in another tab, why not switch to that tab instead of having two tabs pointing to the same location?
Isn't that the behaviour of GoTo and AB already, so why not extend it to regular tree selections as well?
This was my thinking as well. If there is a tab set to that location why not use it, instead of going to that folder again in the default tab. This way you can go back and forth between the two if doing syncing and stuff :?:

John
Win2K
7,164ms
(seems XY is starting to get slower again with Folder sizes on. I can actually see it counting up in the statusbar now.)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

The J.B. & R.M. posts have now convinced me to retract my very last position...and go back to my prior theory... :roll:
And say that: should one be on default tab and then select via tree/cat a location that is currently open in another tab, to swap to that tab instead of reusing default....I'd be in favor of having DT act slightly differently than normal tabs, or possibly at least make this a user defined option...yes, I realize that adding options may make it harder for new users, but it's offset by ability to make XY act the way each user prefers.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

RalphM wrote:If I select a location in the tree and that location is already opened in another tab, why not switch to that tab instead of having two tabs pointing to the same location?
Well I for one would not like this behavior, even though yeah it does work that way for Catalog items already, not Goto/AB though.
I do have tabs opened on locations because I have to do something/work there, or as some kind of "permanently-opened Catalog item", and I may happen to browse to those locations for some other reasons, and I don't really want to have XY switch back to this tab while I'm simply browsing (especially if I have a selection made there).
Besides, if you go for that, it should be working when you click on the Tree, but also dbl-click a folder on List, or use Hotlist, Breadcrumb, etc

And actually, I realize some of those (eg. Hotlist) do behave like that, while others don't. So maybe something should be done there indeed.

I think basically there could be 2 ways of doing things:
- make a global option, whether or not we activate that "anti-tab-gun" effect, so have always XY look for an already opened tab on that location or not (always, that is from: Tree, List, Catalog, Hotlist, Breadcrumb, Goto, AB, etc...)
- make a "list of options", as in like for the auto-complete, so one could choose when this anti-tab-gun feature is enabled (Catalog, Tree, List, Hotlist, etc)
j_c_hallgren wrote:And say that: should one be on default tab and then select via tree/cat a location that is currently open in another tab, to swap to that tab instead of reusing default....
All that said, I strongly disagree on this one though, as the Default Tab should IMHO only means "used instead of using new tabs...." as of now, everything else should be like any other tabs.
Otherwise it would be much more confusing I think.... (esp. since default tab is the one used "more", as in instead of, but in this special case it would mean a way when the default tab is NOT used, but we use another tab instead. Sounds like a very weird behavior for a "default" thing :roll:)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

jacky wrote:All that said, I strongly disagree on this one though
I guess we all have differing opinions on this. I think I will only say that, I guess Don will be the final arbitar in this case and I will abide by it.

Reminds me of the (dual-pane) debate. If Don puts it in, fine, if he doesn't, fine. But I'm not holding my breath on this one. :wink:

John
Win

surrender

Post by surrender »

The new beta with loads of color options is great. Great job Don. Thanks!!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I also REALLY like the new color config setup!

Well, with one :( exception: How long it takes config to load due to pull-downs.

peter.arrenbrecht

Shift+Ctrl+H

Post by peter.arrenbrecht »

That is one of the things that had me going back to Servant Salamander. Thanks for including it!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Shift+Ctrl+H

Post by admin »

peter.arrenbrecht wrote:That is one of the things that had me going back to Servant Salamander. Thanks for including it!
If you had asked me, you could have had it even earlier! :)

peter.arrenbrecht

Re: Shift+Ctrl+H

Post by peter.arrenbrecht »

admin wrote:If you had asked me, you could have had it even earlier! :)
Aha. Well, let's see. Integrated drill-down into .zip and .tar.gz would be very welcome. The built-in .zip viewer in Windows is just so slow. And Servant Salamander is so quick. :wink: