File Managers

What other productivity software are you working with...
LittleBiG

Re: File Managers

Post by LittleBiG »

In the 95% of the cases I search only for name by using quick name search (Alt+F3). I am just playing with the thought what if the Quick Name Search would search in this MFT way. :roll: That would be literally quick. Dreams...

Anselma

Post by Anselma »

Directory Opus is certainly a terrific file manager in addition to XYplorer. It has several features we do not (or yet) get in XYplorer, like the FTP and advanced archiving supports. Recently, I found they have an offer called Competitive Upgrade for 64-bit users whose file managers have not natively coped with this system. XYplorer users are belong to whom this offer is aimed.

Code: Select all

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/compupgrade.asp
The thing I do not quite understand is, why do upgraders have to give (out) their registration details in advance? Is that really OK? :eh:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Anselma wrote:Directory Opus is certainly a terrific file manager in addition to XYplorer. It has several features we do not (or yet) get in XYplorer, like the FTP and advanced archiving supports. Recently, I found they have an offer called Competitive Upgrade for 64-bit users whose file managers have not natively coped with this system. XYplorer users are belong to whom this offer is aimed.

Code: Select all

http://www.gpsoft.com.au/DScripts/compupgrade.asp
The thing I do not quite understand is, why do upgraders have to give (out) their registration details in advance? Is that really OK? :eh:
Guess you missed this other thread about that topic?
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10217
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Anselma

Post by Anselma »

I did. The title of the thread looked to be a spam/scam to me in a glance so I didn't bother to notice.... :mrgreen:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Anselma wrote:I did. The title of the thread looked to be a spam/scam to me in a glance so I didn't bother to notice.... :mrgreen:
But did you see who created that other thread? It was 'admin' so chances of it being spam/scam are null, right? :wink:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

autocart

Post by autocart »

Hi,

I wrote a whole article but then I had to log in, unfortunatly did a back arrow, because I forgot to sign, and everything was gone....

What I wanted to say, regarding the original thread's topic:
I like FreeCommander XE but it is not perfect. It can do simple virtual folders (if you figure out how to do it). It can also (unfortunately only as a donor of at least 10$) search within MS- and Open-Office and pdf and other files using xdoc2pdf (http://www31.ocn.ne.jp/~h_ishida/xdoc2txt.html). However, it sometimes is complicated and a little buggy and development is very slow. Therefore I want to see if there is something better that's still inexpensive. Maybe XYplorer? Will see....

Regards, Stephan

[EDIT:] Another really nice feature (that I used already quite sometimes) of FC XE is multi-rename. XYplorer and others have it too, but in FC XE it is really user-friendly and, as I suppose on first glance at XYp and others, it probably is also more powerful in FC XE. This is at least one reason to keep FC XE on my Computer, even if I should invest in XYp or similar.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Discovered MultiCommander. Comes on top, XY-feature wise, if you know what I mean... :wink:
A nice feature is browsing the registry as a folder.
Currently my secondary file mgr, replacing freeCommander.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

tux.

Post by tux. »

SammaySarkar wrote:A nice feature is browsing the registry as a folder.
Most OFM can do that.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Haha MultiCommander. I found out about it a couple years ago and been monitoring the progress on it. It's pretty good and is also my backup file manager behind Q-Dir (mainly because I like Q-Dir's simplicity). I have FreeCommander set up to but one issue with that is the GUI is a bit clunky. But good stuff...

@grindax
Yeah I like MultiCommander's custom copy as well. However, it's a bit "complicated". Although I like XYplorer's custom copy, I do find the setup for custom copy a bit too simplistic and in this regard, I like xplorer2's implementation where it's more feature wise and easier to setup custom copy but not as complicated as MultiCommander.

Anyway, been playing around with FAR Man. Hard to use since it mimics Norton Commander and is actually all done in the command line. Basically like a DOS program. But it looks soo cool for some reason. Digging the looks of it.
http://www.farmanager.com/screenshots.php?l=en

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

I still wonder what sort of huuuuge file management tasks you have to do throughout the day that you need to run (and learn) several file managers (or particular copiers) in parallel. Fascinating.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Filehero wrote:I still wonder what sort of huuuuge file management tasks you have to do throughout the day that you need to run (and learn) several file managers (or particular copiers) in parallel. Fascinating.
:whistle:

Actually I don't know either. XYplorer is my primary one but it's a habit of mine to go try and play with different software. As a result, when I found a software I like, I end up having it somewhere so that I use even if I only use it like once a year. Bad habit...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Enternal wrote:Bad habit...
Well, supporting development of good software tools isn't something I'd call bad. :wink:

tux.

Post by tux. »

Enternal wrote:Hard to use since it mimics Norton Commander
... which, basically, mimicked Pathminder.

But why is the command line "hard to use"? Mice are.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Filehero wrote:I still wonder what sort of huuuuge file management tasks you have to do throughout the day that you need to run (and learn) several file managers (or particular copiers) in parallel.
Not that huuuuuge in my case :biggrin:
The reason I've been using MultiCommander: large icons for UHD display, portable, and supplementing functions XY does not have so I call other managers from within XY like this:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 40#p112242