XY Favorite Icons to Windows Explorer ?

What other productivity software are you working with...
CookieMonster

XY Favorite Icons to Windows Explorer ?

Post by CookieMonster »

I want to get the favorite icons used in XY to Windows explorer explorer, in-case I have to use explorer ? I had a program that could do this, I can't remember the name, I removed it to fast :(

Trasd

Re: XY Favorite Icons to Windows Explorer ?

Post by Trasd »

CookieMonster wrote:I want to get the favorite icons used in XY to Windows explorer explorer, in-case I have to use explorer ? I had a program that could do this, I can't remember the name, I removed it to fast :(
Try IconTweaker.

There is another called IconPacker, but it's not free.

BTW, I just Googled this, I haven't used either program. I hope this helps.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Regmos

Post by Regmos »

You can find most of the Windows icons in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll or C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

You can extract them with Greenfish or IcoFX

Just copy the .dll and drag it into the program window.
Kind regards
Regmos

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

Regmos wrote:You can find most of the Windows icons in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll or C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

You can extract them with Greenfish or IcoFX

Just copy the .dll and drag it into the program window.
I think he wants to go the other way, XY icons to explorer, not use Windows icons in XY!

They can be done one at a time easily enough, but I also get the impression he wants to do them in one go.

But hey, I might be wrong!
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

There is also imagesp1.dll which contains the icons for drives shown in "My Computer".

The icons can all be changed using Resource Hacker, but it's a tedious process. IconWorkshop is a quicker alternative that also lets you change icons in exe and dll files. Maybe you can also do this with the icon programs that Regmos mentioned, but I wouldn't know. They are free and portable so it wouldn't hurt to check.

Just a tip when altering many icons using some of these programs, try to do all your icons in one shot and avoid multiple saves, otherwise you could end up with a corrupted file.

There is a program called CustoPacks that I believe lets you make your own icon packs, but I don't have much experience with it.

Check out Mr-Ragnarok on deviantART. He has some really nice icons packs for both x64 and x86 versions of Windows. I'm really into Faenza right now, and use it with XY but decided to use them in Windows as well using one of his many great icon packs. :)
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Presuming you mean an app that can change icon associations en masse from predefined/saveable sets, not just one-by-one, as you can do with -for example- Nirsoft's FileTypesMan, try...

PortableFileAssociator
http://portableapps.com/node/15583

This was developed for temporarily changing file associations (associated apps and icons) from a USB stick and reverting all changes at the end of the session.

But you can use it to change icon associations only, from sets defined in editable text files, and bypass the reversion at the end of the session (i.e. make the changes permanent not temporary). You can still undo the changes by running the app again.

One catch: the file "Type" descriptions of changed types gets prefixed with "PFA", even if you only change the icon association, but there may be a way round this.

This one has the advantage of being (I think) the preferred choice at PortableApps.com, with reasonably active development and forum.

-------------

Similarly...

Assox
https://sites.google.com/site/assoxhome/
I haven't tried this one, but it looks very comprehensive (from scanning the somewhat overwhelming manual).

-------------

If you're still on XP, you can also try...

Icon Phile
http://www.freeware-guide.com/OldGoodFr ... Phile.html

-------------

And related: for changing application icons on Win7, on the taskbar and app. titlebar, etc.

7CONIFIER
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... 7conifier/

I haven't tested this one but others have.
http://wronex.deviantart.com/art/7CONIFIER-177688442

-------------

None of these have the ease-of-use or versatility of XYplorer's CFIs :D , so I would still try out icon sets there before making system-wide changes to the registry.