Filehero

Tiles View

Post by Filehero »

Hi Don,

Tiles View deserves a dedicated thread. :D

Code: Select all

v12.70.0006 - 2013-07-29 20:45
  +++ List: Added Tiles view. Extra large icons (48x48), 4 info lines:
      Name, Type, Size, Modified Date. Hard column width 250 pixels.
      This is the base. The future will bring enhancements.
Next: :appl:

Q1: is support for Tiled Thumbnails a major deal?
Q2: do you intend to make the entire grid cell selectable some day (would improve mouse navigation dramatically - as well as an mouse over effect)?
Q[x>2] t.b.p.

Don't mean to be hoggish, I just feel I'm witnesssing XY entering the path to first class image browsing.

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tiles View

Post by admin »

Q1: From my POV it would be easier to offer a custom metadata section to the current thumbnail views.
Q2: You mean click to select? Uh, yes, that's rather a bug that it does not work now. :)
Q[x>2]: easy, easy... I do not plan to get extremely nerdy on this one. AFAIK even the most basic Tiles view is quite popular with the common man, so why complicate it? Complication per se is not a good thing.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Q[x>2]: easy, easy... I do not plan to get extremely nerdy on this one. AFAIK even the most basic Tiles view is quite popular with the common man, so why complicate it? Complication per se is not a good thing.
"I am easy, uhhuuuhuhhhhhh" (FaithNoMore covering Lionel the Rich).

Over-complication is nothing I'm after. Just a scalable grid cell, where I can combine a preview and a given number of configureable meta data in a modern layout. And I can say, we're already close. :)

Cheers,
Filehero

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Congrats Don on getting this done.

The 4th line looks a little weird. The icon ends but the rows don't. I did rather turn it off or use it for showing tags instead to make them stand out.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Awesome! It looks great and seems to work fine. I think the selectable grid FileHero is talking about is how you cannot select the file if you click anything other than the icon or file name. If you are able to select it even if you click on the descriptor (date, size, type), it will be just exactly like the tiles in Explorer. Basically, it's an actual rectangular tile that can be selected. I don't know if I'm clear enough...
ClickableTile.gif
ClickableTile.gif (160.88 KiB) Viewed 3359 times

zhchgao

Post by zhchgao »

Enternal wrote:Awesome! It looks great and seems to work fine. I think the selectable grid FileHero is talking about is how you cannot select the file if you click anything other than the icon or file name. If you are able to select it even if you click on the descriptor (date, size, type), it will be just exactly like the tiles in Explorer. Basically, it's an actual rectangular tile that can be selected. I don't know if I'm clear enough...
ClickableTile.gif
This method takes too much space, uneconomical, should make full use of screen space. Win7 still way better.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

I'm not really worried about it anyways since like Don said, all he have done is a foundation that allows him to enhance it much easier later on. I'm sure eventually he will make it even more awesome. No need to rush.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Enternal wrote:I think the selectable grid FileHero is talking about is how you cannot select the file if you click anything other than the icon or file name. If you are able to select it even if you click on the descriptor (date, size, type), it will be just exactly like the tiles in Explorer. Basically, it's an actual rectangular tile that can be selected. I don't know if I'm clear enough...
Spot on!

Slavaon

Post by Slavaon »

I turn on the type of tile and do not believe that this has happened! Thank you so much.
But the long name of the file isn't visible, and for a look a tile important display of long names of files + thumbnail.
Is it possible to do so:
Concept 2.png
Concept 2.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
Or so:
Concept 3.png
Concept 3.png (6.18 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Time of the file not so important for display and the size of files has to be the last in the list - it is habitual for users.
Enternal wrote:I think the selectable grid FileHero is talking about is how you cannot select the file if you click anything other than the icon or file name. If you are able to select it even if you click on the descriptor (date, size, type), it will be just exactly like the tiles in Explorer. Basically, it's an actual rectangular tile that can be selected. I don't know if I'm clear enough...
+1

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nerdweed wrote:Congrats Don on getting this done.

The 4th line looks a little weird. The icon ends but the rows don't. I did rather turn it off or use it for showing tags instead to make them stand out.
Ah yes, you are probably on Win7 or so. I tested it only on XP using Tahoma. Segoe UI is much higher so it start looking weird. I do some tests now on Win7...

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

admin wrote:
nerdweed wrote:Congrats Don on getting this done.

Ah yes, you are probably on Win7 or so. I tested it only on XP using Tahoma. Segoe UI is much higher so it start looking weird. I do some tests now on Win7...
Bang on. I am on Windows 8.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Slavaon wrote:But the long name of the file isn't visible...
Taking 2 rows for the (wrapped) filename is currently not possible. We would end up with 4 rows again which is not desirable.

But future enhancements to the thumbnails views will give you all you need.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Just to note, I think color labels might need to re-adjusted a little bit for tiles view. As you can see, it's very very close to the other descriptors:
Tiles.jpg
Tiles.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 3283 times

Slavaon

Post by Slavaon »

admin wrote:Taking 2 rows for the (wrapped) filename is currently not possible. We would end up with 4 rows again which is not desirable.
But future enhancements to the thumbnails views will give you all you need.
Thank you.
I wish you success!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may have noted that in the recent beta (v12.70.0008) I made the color filters visible even with selected files in Tiles and Thumbs views: they are kind of printed onto the selection rect. But I now I think it looks bad, more like a bug than like intended. I will remove this...