Startin XY always opens a new tab

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Creat

Startin XY always opens a new tab

Post by Creat »

I just upgraded from a pretty old version to the latest beta (5.20.54 now) and appartently some parts of the startup-behaviour were changed. I start xyplorer with a command line argument to start out on my most-used drive:
xyplorer.exe e:\

This still works of course, but it always opens "e:\" as a new tab in addition to whatever was open when I last closed it. Since I barely (if ever) use the tabs I usualy don't pay much attention to it and have a bunch of tabs after a day's work. How do I get it to always start with just one tab ("e:\") and nothing else while still saving settings on exit (to me settings != open tab, that's jsut my current environment to me)?

Oh and while we're talking about tabs: on those rare occasions where I do use tabs I'd very much would like to be able to close a tab by shift-clicking on it (like in many other tab based applications like opera, mIRC, possibly firefox and similar), but that would just be nice, nothing important or urgent or anything :D

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Startin XY always opens a new tab

Post by admin »

Indeed, this behavior was added recently:

Code: Select all

v5.10.0015 - 02.09.06 12:39
    * If XY is currently not running and opened from shell to a folder 
      set via command line (e.g. via a folder's shell context menu, or via 
      a LNK file), this folder now is always opened in a new tab unless 
      the current tab is already the same location. Before a new tab was 
      only created when the last current tab was locked.
      This new behavior is consistent with the behavior shown when XY 
      *is* already running and opened via shell in which case a new tab 
      is created instead of opening a new instance of the app.
I actually was waiting for the day somebody would ask me for an option to turn it off. So, the day has come :wink:

EDIT: I called the new option "Open command line start path in new tab".. uhm, probably not so elegant English... any suggestions?
Creat wrote:Oh and while we're talking about tabs: on those rare occasions where I do use tabs I'd very much would like to be able to close a tab by shift-clicking on it (like in many other tab based applications like opera, mIRC, possibly firefox and similar), but that would just be nice, nothing important or urgent or anything :D
Never heard about it and eg FF does not dot it AFAIK. What do others think? We have so many ways to close a tab, why waste another gesture on this?

surrender

Post by surrender »

Actually opera browser closes tab on shift+click. But it cant close on double click like XY does. I am simply used to middle click which is common to both XY and Opera.

Question: Is it a standard to have a cross "x" at the right end of every tab for closing?? Have not used FF or IE7. But if so, then XY can have it too. Just asking.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:Actually opera browser closes tab on shift+click. But it cant close on double click like XY does. I am simply used to middle click which is common to both XY and Opera.

Question: Is it a standard to have a cross "x" at the right end of every tab for closing?? Have not used FF or IE7. But if so, then XY can have it too. Just asking.
Waste of space!

surrender

Post by surrender »

On second thought, you are right. waste of space indeed.

rod147

Post by rod147 »

surrender wrote:Question: Is it a standard to have a cross "x" at the right end of every tab for closing?? Have not used FF or IE7. But if so, then XY can have it too. Just asking.
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Two fools rule?? :wink:

surrender

Post by surrender »

I am happy with middle click, double click and ctrl+w for closing tabs. That "x" thing though seems like a standard in any other tabbed browser, but I like the XY way.

Mistakes do Happen: I have several times accidentally closed tabs by double middle click (will close two tabs) or double ctrl+W etc. But with experience i have learnt to retrieve my last closed tabs by simply ctrl+t and alt+left. Its a beautiful XY way of doing it. But still, what would be nice is to have a toobar icon (like a recyclebin) which has all my closed tabs in it. Just an idea. :idea:

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

surrender wrote:What would be nice is to have a toobar icon (like a recyclebin) which has all my closed tabs in it. Just an idea. :idea:
I second that. Not that it's massively essential, but it would certainly give people new to the program a very easy way to recover from a mistake. IMO it should be on the tool bar by default.

surrender wrote:But with experience i have learnt to retrieve my last closed tabs by simply ctrl+t and alt+left
BTW, that is a seriously cool tip which I hadn't thought about. This needs to go on the Wiki :)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

Creat

Post by Creat »

I didn't know about the double click and middle click options, I'm just used to the shift clicking (I almost exclusively close tabs in mIRC and Opera that way). So why not add it (I do know it's only 2 or 3 lines of code, so that can't be it), might be others that are used to working this way?
Well if you don't want to add it it's no big deal (to me), since thanx to the adding of the mentioned option, I no longer have loads of tabs to close, YAY :)
[that means thanx for that option ;) ]

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:I'm just used to the shift clicking (I almost exclusively close tabs in mIRC and Opera that way). So why not add it (I do know it's only 2 or 3 lines of code, so that can't be it), might be others that are used to working this way?
Why not: to reserve Shift+Click for some other function in future. For me, firefox is still the de facto standard in tabbed browsing.