Text Editors

What other productivity software are you working with...
Brother John

Re: Text Editors

Post by Brother John »

Is “text editor” even the right word for Emacs? Isn’t it more like an IDE or a text manipulation operating system? I guess I’ll have to extend my list from above then: Apart from SciTE and PsPad I also regularly use LibreOffice, Texmaker and Qt Creator. If Emacs qualifies as a text editor, those certainly do as well. ;)
cu
Brother John

tux.

Post by tux. »

LibreOffice as a text editor? Like, Microsoft Windows is an excellent calculator tool?

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Brother John wrote:Is “text editor” even the right word for Emacs? Isn’t it more like an IDE or a text manipulation operating system? I guess I’ll have to extend my list from above then: Apart from SciTE and PsPad I also regularly use LibreOffice, Texmaker and Qt Creator. If Emacs qualifies as a text editor, those certainly do as well. ;)
Emacs can be whatever you want it to be. ;-) But for me, it's always been a text editor, first and foremost, and I would argue, the best there is, and always has been -- from a strictly functional perspective.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

tux.

Post by tux. »

If you consider a virtual psychotherapist a "text editor feature", you might be right.

Anselma

Post by Anselma »

I use EmEditor and be happy with it. It has become a big help in completing many translation projects. I was lucky to register it when the lifetime updates scheme was still being offered. Emurasoft has changed the policy as from the end of last year to major-version-based.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

grindax wrote:Does anyone know of a text editor for Windows that can do the following:
Select a single line of text with just one click, without the selection also including the newline character at the end of the line.
Especially with stuff like this -- needing to do something that nothing else seems to do -- is where Emacs always has a solution, whether in the existing distributed modules, in user contributions somewhere on the net, or at the end of the day, as something you just program yourself.

This is not a recommendation for Emacs, just an opportunity to score another relevant point in its favor ;-), and a good illustration of why I've had no need to use any other text editor for 23 years (actually 25 years, including the Prime minicomputer variant I first learned).
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

tux.

Post by tux. »

It is easier in Vim.

xman

Post by xman »

PSPad can also do this kind of thing (selecting a line with one click and without adding the newline). Just click on the line number :)

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 24 Jan 2016 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

I use EditPad Pro. I love it and the fact that Jan is billed as on of the top Regex Guru's is a plus, as he includes a nice Regex tutorial in the program's User's Guide.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Kucera

Post by Kucera »

I use PSPad because it can do Czech diacritics. But for simple tasks, TextPad, and yes, version 4 :biggrin:
Or is there a way to force TextPad to work with diacritics that I never found? Does anyone know?

Filehero

Sublime Text

Post by Filehero »

Hi,

somebody care to share what's so extraordinary about Sublime Text to make somebody spend 70$ on it? Don't get me wrong, if it's worth it I would get it.

But I wonder how it is different or better than e.g. Notepad++ (for which I even abandoned UltraEdit). Yes, it looks different and may take some "new" approaches. But I also read configuring it is rather "programming". What's the killer feature?

Cheers,
Filehero

tux.

Post by tux. »

The mini-map, presumably. (Also it's regularly updated, fast and with a clean, uncluttered UI.)

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

Sublime Text:
+ Cross-platform
+ All settings & plugins are stored in User folder, no modification to default file → safe
+ Instant start-up (from verion 3)
+ Smart indent
+ Almost everything are customizable (even core components are just Python plugin and can be editted)
+ I've just written XYplorer syntax highlighting for ST3
- Extremely poor documentation
- Too many editable things with no documentation is just nightmare
- Many plugins written for ST2 does not work with ST3
- Close source

Conclusion: Very steep learning curve, but woth it.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488