Duplicate File Finder

What other productivity software are you working with...
admin
Site Admin

Duplicate File Finder

Post by admin »

XYplorer
Download: http://www.xyplorer.com/download/xyplorer_full.zip

I had to add this here because XYplorer is currently the best Duplicate File Finder on the market, but I still see much inferior products getting the majority of downloads. This nonsense has to be stopped.

Filehero

Re: Duplicate File Finder

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:This nonsense has to be stopped.
Well, I was really irritated when browsing the current 9/13 issue of c't having a several-page "Windows-Power-Tools" article and NOT find XYplorer even mentioned. :?

Any ideas as to why? I mean, even they should have stumbled over this guy from Cologne's power tool, shouldn't they?

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They have stumbled over me, and gave me a good review too (http://download.cnet.com/XYplorer/3000- ... 99196.html). Don't know what it takes to get into their articles...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whoops, you mean c't, not cnet. :oops: No, c't does not recognize me at all. I made several attempts over the years, no chance. Interesting given that I'm the only major file manager from Germany.

OTOH, there has not been a single issue of any computer magazine without an article on "Windows Power Tools", right? It's for boys what "lose 5 pounds in a week" is for girls.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

admin wrote:OTOH, there has not been a single issue of any computer magazine without an article on "Windows Power Tools", right? It's for boys what "lose 5 pounds in a week" is for girls.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
admin wrote:the best Duplicate File Finder on the market, but I still see much inferior products getting the majority of downloads
I agree that the latter is a nonsense...
As for the former, well, there's still room for useful features...
One that is expected from dupe finders: the ability to easily search several folders (e.g. at least a checkbox to find dupes on both panes, that would auto-fill Location).
The other, much less common, but which really makes a contender stand out in my case: fuzzy name dupe search - though from what I recall of the dupe thread, it could be quite hard to implement.

Well, different people -and different jobs- have different expectations, but for me that's a (rare) area where XYplorer hasn't stolen the crown. Yet. :twisted:
Anyway, I don't use this feature often enough to suggest any kind of priority at all, but since you resurrected the topic... :wink:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:No, c't does not recognize me at all. I made several attempts over the years, no chance.
I've just sent them out an letter-to-the-editor by mail.

Cheers,
Filehero

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:OTOH, there has not been a single issue of any computer magazine without an article on "Windows Power Tools", right?
Nope, not with c't. That's one reason why I still have a subscription.

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, thanks! (Is that your idea of making a holiday? :mrgreen: )

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:(Is that your idea of making a holiday? :mrgreen: )
Heck, yeah. As I'm becoming older things are changing. By all means holidays means getting back the feeling to be in control of what to spent my time for. :mrgreen:

Just finished my long-time toDo, a fully self configuring SC adapter to my historical grown lib of ropocopy backup scripts for application settings. And right now I'm starting my first backup-in-da-cloud approaches by laying out an SCed local cloud storage manager.
And the next two days will be devoted to fishing.

:biggrin:

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, whatever saves your soul. :biggrin:

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

I know that XYplorer is an excellent duplicate file finder but... in general it's still not free. Auslogics Duplicate File Finder however is excellent AND free so you do have a competition of sorts but it's just not in the same price category.

However, XYplorer is definitely one of the top file managers so:
"Spending $30 dollars is too much when I can get FreeCommander and Cubic for free"
needs to stop. I don't mind if they talk about Q-Dir since it's surprisingly stable and quite powerful but many of the more common free file managers that people talk about, are just poor compared to XYplorer.

Now if only you get more visibility with Lifehacker... they keep focusing on xplorer2 (which is fine) but they really need to focus on something that's better. In fact, now that you only offer XYplorer Standard License at $30, there's not really any reason for them NOT to take a look at XYplorer in depth. The only thing that xplorer2 have over you at this point is that they do offer an optional lifetime license if people are willing to pay around $60 on top of the $30 for the license itself. Unfortunately, I think people are way too stupid to notice back then that XYplorer is $60 dollars which includes lifetime license and is portable. Whereas xplorer2 is $49.95 for the ultimate license which is better than the pro license because it is portable and another $59.95 to get lifetime license for a total of $109.90. Buy it as a bundle and you get $10.00 off for a total of $99.90. Ridiculous compared to XYplorer. But people only saw "Well xplorer2 is $29.95 and XPlorer is $60.00". Sad.