Show off your Xyplorer!

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Flora_RMC

Re: Show off your Xyplorer!

Post by Flora_RMC »

Translated interface here, too :wink:
I'm a very 'visual' person and I prefer to see icons, thus I iconized my tabs and froze them into tabsets, so I know what is what at first glance (partitions and external drives also, with their respective letters).
As you can see, I don't use the Tree; I really tried, but I can't get used to it...
And I did not place the new 12.** buttons in sight, but their IDs are in a couple of CTBs menus: they're handy and very useful! :appl:
Attachments
XY.png
XY.png (88.93 KiB) Viewed 3482 times

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

FluxTorpedoe wrote:thanks to its visual impact, I can have all tab names simplified by default to "DriveLetter: > CurFolder"
Yes, it is a good idea, I didn't think about that earlier. I am setting it immediately. I like this show off thing...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hmmmm,

honestly, I expected a little bit more show offs to come up. Spring fever or something different like privacy concerns?

Come on!

Cheers,
Filehero

neminem

Post by neminem »

I'm a boring person when it comes to my file manager. I'd post a picture here, but it wouldn't be very interesting: I basically just disabled every possible pane I could (everything except the menu bar, the main file window - displayed as a list, sorted by extension, and the status bar. I was conflicted about the status bar, but decided it was useful enough, and thin enough, to disregard my desire for simplicity for. The menu bar I keep around because programs without menu bars don't look sufficiently like standard Win32 apps. Everything else, gone. :p)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

neminem wrote:I'm a boring person when it comes to my file manager. I'd post a picture here, but it wouldn't be very interesting: I basically just disabled every possible pane I could (everything except the menu bar, the main file window - displayed as a list, sorted by extension, and the status bar. I was conflicted about the status bar, but decided it was useful enough, and thin enough, to disregard my desire for simplicity for. The menu bar I keep around because programs without menu bars don't look sufficiently like standard Win32 apps. Everything else, gone. :p)
So something like this? Interesting approach to file management! You probably know a lot of keyboard shortcuts. :biggrin:
Attachments
XYnaked.png
XYnaked.png (26.02 KiB) Viewed 3433 times

neminem

Post by neminem »

Yep, exactly like that, only I also don't have the buttons in the status bar :p. (Also that's Details view. I do use Details view occasionally when I'm looking for something by its metadata, but like 99.99% of the time, I don't want those columns, they just take up space. One of the things that drove me from Explorer when I had to get Win7 - the crappy context-sensitive toolbar under the regular one, with crap I didn't want that was just taking up space, and you couldn't get rid of it. That sort of thing drives me crazy. :p)

I do know a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, and I also use the context menu a lot (which is why it bugs me periodically having to hop back into Explorer to do things that require programs' context menu items, though thankfully I did figure out how to get tortoise's 32-bit extension to work, and that's the biggest one). There are jillion keyboard shortcut in xyp that I don't know, of course, cause I don't use the feature much or at all, but certainly all the standard things you'd expect out of a file manager, I use the keyboard for them. (Though I still occasionally forget which "new" is "new folder", and which is "new text file", since that's an added xyp bonus, Explorer doesn't have bindings for those. Useful, but not as frequently used as, say, open/close tab, or undo/redo, or cut/copy/paste.)

Fun fact (nobody seems to know this) - did you know Windows has a global shortcut, in any program, if you don't have a dedicated context menu button on your keyboard, you can also use shift-F10 for the same thing? I added that into a few places in one of the programs I worked on, where it was handling the context menu key in a custom way, because it was bugging me that it didn't treat that combination the same way. Even though I was most likely the only person who would have ever noticed the lack. ;)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi,

I am once again lost in the wood of settings. :oops:
Borut wrote:Natural nature...
NaturalNature.JPG
Running Windows 8, under what circumstances can I make the set background color for the active tab applied (like the green one in Borut's shot)?

For the sake of unity and clearity ("Zen mode") I want to have it the same color as my Tree Path and all my selections.

Thanks,
Filehero

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Filehero wrote:I am once again lost in the wood of settings. :oops:
Borut wrote:Natural nature...
NaturalNature.JPG
Running Windows 8, under what circumstances can I make the set background color for the active tab applied (like the green one in Borut's shot)?
This is a two-parter.

First, you need to go to 'Configuration > Tabs > Visual Style' and select 'XYplorer Classic'.
Second, in 'Configuration > Colors > Tab headers' you set the 'Background' color immediately under 'Open Tab Text'.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi,
TheQwerty wrote:First, you need to go to 'Configuration > Tabs > Visual Style' and select 'XYplorer Classic'
Ouch, ouch, ouch!!

I was looking all the time in the config "Styles" menu instead of "Tabs" because I expected all "major" visual pattern settings to be listed there. :?

Thank a lot, TheQwerty. :)
XY_showoff_09-2013.png
XY_showoff_09-2013.png (534.88 KiB) Viewed 3238 times

Cheers,
Filehero

PS: Tree Full Row Select in the way shown will become standard once the context access to Favorite Folders is will be compatible to this feature.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Trying to transition completely to Faenza icons...getting there day by day. 8)
Attachments
Netbook
Netbook
XY2.png (208.64 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Holy Nighted that looks sharp!

I'm also laughing at your Catalog since you're using almost exactly the same software that I use over and over again. Mainly FastCopy/TeraCopy, MultiHasher, AkelPad, Notepad2-mod (better updated version of the original), and ReNamer. I'm very curious though about all your icons. May I have them?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Enternal wrote:Holy Nighted that looks sharp!

I'm also laughing at your Catalog since you're using almost exactly the same software that I use over and over again. Mainly FastCopy/TeraCopy, MultiHasher, AkelPad, Notepad2-mod (better updated version of the original), and ReNamer. I'm very curious though about all your icons. May I have them?
Thanks but how do you know I'm using Notepad2-mod? You working for Gಠ_ಠgle/NSA? ;)

I originally used the icons for the catalog and the toolbar, before Don implemented PFI > then I was in customization heaven. -`ღ´-

Some of the icons are only 16px (catalog/toolbar), others I updated to 48/32/16 and all have been since PFI. I can attach them here.

All of the icon sets can be found on deviantART in PNG/SVG and are based on Faenza.

Faenza [0.9]
Faience [0.5.1]
Variations 2
Variations 3
Variations
Attachments
Icons.7z
(146.97 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Awesome Nighted! Thank you! How did I know it was Notepad2-mod? YES I AM THE NSA :lol:! But seriously, I kind of guessed since Notepad2-mod is probably the best right now in terms of forks for the original.

EDIT: I just realized you hide the entire File|Edit|... menu? That was possible?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

Enternal wrote:I just realized you hide the entire File|Edit|... menu? That was possible?
I read through the XY config INI and looked at all the tweaks. It's in there. I even added a button to toggle all that stuff.

Code: Select all

"Toggle Menu (Alt+Up)|<xyicons>\Window.ico" #1061;
"Toggle Address Bar (Ctrl+Shift+F12)|:go" #660;
"Toggle Tab Bar|:tablist" #662;
"Toggle Status Bar|<xyicons>\Window.ico" #670;
-
"Toggle Navigation Panel (F8)|:hidenav" #663;
"Toggle Catalog (Ctrl+F8)|:cat" #664;
"Toggle Tree (Shift+F8)|:treeshow" #668;
"Catalog Above Tree|:treeshow" #686;
-
"Toggle Info Panel|:panelshow" #665;
-
"Toggle All|<xyicons>\All.ico" #660;#662;#664;#670;
Attachments
Tbar.png
Tbar.png (14.66 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Filehero wrote:PS: Tree Full Row Select in the way shown will become standard once the context access to Favorite Folders is will be compatible to this feature.
Though it's not yet winter officially, the temperatures are. Thanks Don. :D

Cheers,
Filehero