Tabbed Exploring

Features wanted...
ItsMe

Tabbed Exploring

Post by ItsMe »

Hi,

I'd like to suggest Tabbed Exploring in TrackerV3.
My tabbed exploring, I mean tabs at the top or bottom of the window with each corresponding to a directory. That way, one can easily manage multiple directories at once.

I'm sure most people have tried a tabbed browser such as Opera or Firefox/Mozilla by now, so you would know what I'm talking about. Why limit yourself to multiple browser windows cluttering up your task bar when you can have one window with many tabs. The same can be said for TrackerV3.

What are everyone elses thoughts?

Thanks

Chris Wood

That would be great

Post by Chris Wood »

It seems like a natural feature for TrackerV3. It's faster and easier than favourites and could even replace them entirely. Files could be copied to a folder open in another tab by dragging the files to the tab title.

Anyone else like the idea?
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: That would be great

Post by admin »

Have you seen my old ideas: http://www.trackerv3.com/ted/newfavs.htm
This is a kind of tabbed browsing, but with vertical tabs -> solves the space problem you always run into with horizontal tabs.

Manifold

Post by Manifold »

I support that idea, Admin. Go for it.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Ah, I remember now... the thing I don't like about that is that you can't easily navigate to a sub/superdirectory of your favourite folders. Eg. I have a "Firefox Profile Backup" favourite, and sometimes I want to see the parent "Firefox" directory, or the subdirectories... with vertical favourites, to do this quickly I'd need three or more separate favourites... I guess I want to keep the flexibility of seeing the tree, while still being able to switch & drag between favourites easily (ie. in one click - currently, switching takes two clicks and dragging can't be done at all without awkward tree navigation).

I like traditional tabs which basically replace extra windows. Vertical favourites are in-between this and the current favourites implementation.

BTW, hello again Donald! Keep up the good work - registration is too expensive for me, do you have a Paypal account or something for donations?
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:...the thing I don't like about that is that you can't easily navigate to a sub/superdirectory of your favourite folders.
Yep, that was pretty much the reason why I never implemented that idea.

Which do you (and others) think is the best tabbed explorer currently? -- I want to play around a little bit to decide whether I like tabbed exploring...
Chris Wood wrote:... do you have a Paypal account or something for donations?
Sure: http://www.trackerv3.com/donation.htm
Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tabbed Exploring is here! Check the latest BETA v3.60.0150! :D

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

That's very important novation, thanks!
However, currently tabs do not individually remember things like sort order, scroll position or item selections (some of this will change soon).
How about individual searching settings for every tab? Is this feature in your plans too?
Ctrl+F12: [Show/Hide] Browsing Tabs
I'm afraid this is not good shortcut for some (or many?) notebook's users, because at some models Ctrl+F12 does not always work correctly (it is reserved for some BIOS needs). Could you give add some slternative shortcut for us?

A little appearance problem: could you make the current tab more distinguish from others at the first glance? E.g. another color or only bold font while useing usual light font for non-current tabs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:How about individual searching settings for every tab? Is this feature in your plans too?
No, not really.
Leopoldus wrote:
Ctrl+F12: [Show/Hide] Browsing Tabs
I'm afraid this is not good shortcut for some (or many?) notebook's users, because at some models Ctrl+F12 does not always work correctly (it is reserved for some BIOS needs). Could you give add some slternative shortcut for us?
Googling for Ctrl+F12 I see that a lot of programs use this shortcut, so there should not be a big problem with it. If you have such a notebook, you can still use the mouse to [Show/Hide] Browsing Tabs.
Leopoldus wrote:A little appearance problem: could you make the current tab more distinguish from others at the first glance? E.g. another color or only bold font while useing usual light font for non-current tabs.
I tried making the noncurrent tabs lighter but then they look like disabled. And Black is the best color for the current tab I think.
But you can use the INI to customize your header back colors:

Code: Select all

[General]
DoColorTabs=1
clrTabSel=16777215
clrTabUnsel=14215660

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I made the colors configurable. Sooner or later somebody for scream for it anyway :wink:

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

admin wrote:
How about individual searching settings for every tab? Is this feature in your plans too?
No, not really.
It's very pity. I'd see some very intresting options to combine the power of temlates with the conception of tabs. :cry: :cry:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:
admin wrote:
No, not really.
It's very pity. I'd see some very intresting options to combine the power of temlates with the conception of tabs. :cry: :cry:
Oh yeah, now I see them, too!! Stop crying, Leopoldus, everything will be fine :D

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabbed Exploring

Post by admin »

ItsMe wrote:I'd like to suggest Tabbed Exploring in TrackerV3.
Well, ItsMe, that was a nice suggestion. Now, what do you think about the implementation?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

admin wrote:Now, what do you think about the implementation?
First of all congratulations, you did an absolutely awesome job.
It was well worth giving you the time to ponder the current wishes (including my "Find Files" and "Switches") and find a way, that solves more than one of them in a wonderful integrated solution.

It really solves all my current wishes.

Just a couple of questions / remarks:
admin wrote:v3.60.0154 - 29.03.05 14:47
+++ Added "Finding Tabs", a special type of browsing tabs.
- Now customize the search result list to your likings
(column width, sort order...).
The column widths aren't remembered on my system, i.e. if I select another tab and then the customized one again, the column width settings are reset to what seems to be some standards as soon as the find results are displayed.
The sort column and order is remembered though.
Could it be, that there's an inconsistency in my ini settings from earlier TV3 versions?
admin wrote:...
This means a very simple one-click-access to all the Find Files
routines you ever dreamt of. You can for example design yourself a
"find suite", a row of tabs with your recurrent find tasks just
one click away. Hey, with TrackerV3's ability to load specific
configurations (INI files) on start-up you can have thousands of
find suites!!
I agree completely :D
+ Browsing tabs now remember the following properties individually:
- sorted column and sort direction
- column order
- column widths
- focused file
These settings are also remembered between sessions.
All true, but the column widths. The same problem as with the finding tabs stated above.
+ Browsing tabs now have icons and a clearer design with only the
selected tab having a bold face caption.
Is it on purpose, that the inactive tabs have a double top border line?

Thanks again for these new very useful features. :D :D :D
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:...you did an absolutely awesome job.
I agree! :D
RalphM wrote:The column widths aren't remembered on my system, i.e. if I select another tab and then the customized one again, the column width settings are reset to what seems to be some standards as soon as the find results are displayed.
Wait for the next BETA. In the meantime I fixed a lot of minor bugs and glitches (not all mentioned in the history... it's work in progress) -- I assume your problem was one of them. If not let me know.
RalphM wrote:Is it on purpose, that the inactive tabs have a double top border line?
Hmm, it should look like this.