Side-by-Side Comparison Tool

What other productivity software are you working with...
SkyFrontier

Side-by-Side Comparison Tool

Post by SkyFrontier »

Hello, guys.
Is there any tool that provides a simple side-by-side scrolling so I can visually, directly compare two text files?
-word-wrap toggle? (MS Word can do this but without the option to toggle off the wrapping);
-which can scroll horizontally, too?;
-three documents?;

Each and every one I'm testing only have full comparison feature, which splits the source files in blocks thus not allowing direct comparison on <source> text against <translated>.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

highend

Re: Side-by-Side Comparison Tool

Post by highend »

Did you take a look at:
Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/) or
Merge for Windows (http://www.araxis.com/merge/)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Beyond Compare just like everything else does a comparison and skips large blank blocks in the middle and I cannot find a way to toggle this off.

Araxis tool asks for a TRIAL KEY. Wow... (that seems to be the standard among major players like Altova and another one I can't recall)
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Borut

Post by Borut »

SkyFrontier wrote:Beyond Compare just like everything else does a comparison and skips large blank blocks in the middle and I cannot find a way to toggle this off.
I am not sure I understand, but: have you tried experimenting with the buttons I marked green in the following image?
Attachments
Controlling what is being displayed/folded in BC
Controlling what is being displayed/folded in BC
ForSky.jpg (16.34 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Win 10 Pro 64bit

highend

Post by highend »

eyond Compare just like everything else does a comparison and skips large blank blocks in the middle and I cannot find a way to toggle this off.
Really? Never saw this and I use it on a daily basis.
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (227.32 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

You were right, guys. I played a bit more with BC and it's definitely the way to go.
Borut: what's the 3rd green-highlighted button caption, please? My version is a 2.x so buttons are a bit different. What's that version of yours, BTW?
-does it have word wrap? I can't find it *anywhere*, on mine...

Borut

Post by Borut »

SkyFrontier wrote:Borut: what's the 3rd green-highlighted button caption, please? My version is a 2.x so buttons are a bit different. What's that version of yours, BTW?
-does it have word wrap? I can't find it *anywhere*, on mine...
3rd green-highlighted button caption: Show context... For a lonely line being different, while the mode "show only differences" activated, also a few neighbouring upper and lower lines are shown.

My BC version is 3.3.5 Pro.

Word wrapping possibility is not known to me and I believe it does not exist. If it does, please somebody tell this to me too.

BTW, I believe you asked before about the merging possibility. It exists, but I have not used it. Help says: "A Text Merge session contains two or three non-editable source panes and an editable output pane. The left and right panes hold two versions of a file. Beyond Compare helps you combine changes from both versions into the output pane. The optional center pane holds an older version of the file, a common ancestor of the left and right versions." (Quoted from Beyond Compare on line Help)

EDIT: BTW, what I find nice on BC is the fact that it is fully portable! 8)
Win 10 Pro 64bit

tux.

Post by tux. »

The one reason why I have a copy of Araxis Merge on my system is that it supports 3-way comparison. Is there any alternative which does that?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Worth looking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ison_tools

Devart's CodeCompare is said to support 3-way merge, but I won't touch any .net dependent tool.
I'm almost sure I've seen a free one anywhere but can't recall which one as of now, sorry.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Looks interesting, thanks; but as it's not free, the advantage to Araxis Merge is rather small, right?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

tux. wrote:Looks interesting, thanks; but as it's not free, the advantage to Araxis Merge is rather small, right?
As you hadn't mentioned 'free' as a requisite, I thought it would worth mentioning as you perhaps didn't liked Araxis' for any reason...

tux.

Post by tux. »

Well, yep; it is expensive and a bit sluggish at times, also the "ribbon" interface makes me puke every time ... :)
.net is not really known for responsiveness, so the only real advantage here seems to be the slightly better UI?

It is not "required" to be free, but it would make my decision easier.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Let me know if/when you find such a thing, please. I've searched everywhere but haven't come across a good 3-docs support one yet.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Tried Araxis? :)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Oh, no.
I wouldn't trust a company which requires you to fill a form just to get a 30 day trial key as an unconditional prerequisite.