Might as well use syntax highlighting... But where/how?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kunkel321

Might as well use syntax highlighting... But where/how?

Post by kunkel321 »

I wasn't sure which section this should go in....

Stefan and others have initiated me into script writing. I'm a NON programmer and consider myself to be a total noob, though I have tinkered a small bit with VBA for Word, and with pScripting on the Palm... And an even smaller bit with AutoHotKey.

Anyhoo... I've been reading the tutorials and help sections. I figured I'd go ahead and install a Text Editor that would allow Syntax hightlighting, then make it the default for editing .xys files. I'm surprised to see that there are not a lot of options out there.... I did try the .jgcscs packet that Jacky posted for EditPad Pro. I was hoping it would work for EditPad Lite--but no luck.

Is there anyone out there that has customized SciTE, or Notepad++, and is willing to export and share??? Alternatively, how close is XYS to other languages? I think I read that it is similar to JavaScript... But how similar?

Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

nas8e9

Re: Might as well use syntax highlighting... But where/how?

Post by nas8e9 »

XYplorer's License Lounge (accessible from http://www.xyplorer.com/support/) offers syntax highlighting files for several more editors; of those, I know PSPad to be freeware.
Last edited by nas8e9 on 01 Oct 2012 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

It's PHP like (as Don said).

I for myself use Sublime Text 2 and ofc I've created the necessary files for it. Although I've customized the theme a bit to support the scopes that I use.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Here's my userDefineLang.xml for Notepad++ 6.x.

Cheers,
Filehero
Attachments
userDefineLang.zip
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Thanks for the replies all.

I got the PSPad one working... Nice because it also has a clip library..
I'll try the N++ one too.

Annoyingly, I was stupid and installed the optional crapware that comes with PSPad. (Revo Uninstaller to the rescue!)
I don't know if it's related to the crapware or what, but in FF on Win 7, when I copy the text for either of the PSPad profiles, The string
[feedly mini]
gets appended to the end. Sheesh. WTH FF?

Doesn't happen with IE or Chrome.

Weird -eh?

EDIT: Scratch that... I had forgotten I put the Feedly add-in in FF a while back. Disabling it fixed the problem.
I can only assume that it monitored my clipboard and added an extra key to what it thought was an .INI file (???)

I don't think I'll be recommending Feedly to anyone!
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I'm afraid that all scripting support files found in license lounge are rather old :cry:

I must admit that I was too lazy to make a current version for PSPad - and so I work without syntax help.

But you are right that up-to-date syntax highlighting & such can be of big help - especially for a new coder...
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

If there's any need I can update the PSPad files to the current XYS syntax.
It just never seemed to be used by too many people out there, which made it a bit of a time-waster for me to keep it up to date.

But as said, if there's any use for it, I'm happy to spend some time on it again.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Of course it would be of use for me, and sure I would use it if it would exist :roll:

...but I don't think you should spend time on it if I'm the only one :whistle:
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

@PeterH: You and me (every now and then) makes two already.
I'll look into it soon.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Same here... The highlighting and the clips too.
Looks like it was done in 2010... There can't be too many changes in the xys language since then...
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
I'm using Akelpad with its default plugins (it's free, portable, ultra-light & fast).
Here's a syntax-highlighting file I did for it, updated to the latest XYplorer.

Installation:
- simply unzip (with folder structure) in your Akelpad directory.

Note:
- It covers everything I could think of but it's quite new, so there might be updates in the future.
- I included a modified menu so you can use XY style with any kind of file. To use it, you must be in "portable" mode: (Menu) Options > Settings > (Tab) Registry > Save settings: INI file.
Of course, if you've already modded your context menu, do not overwrite it and add the XYS entry yourself. :wink:
Attachments
Akelpad-SyntaxHighlight_XYplorer(v11_60_0209).zip
(19.51 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

xycooper

Post by xycooper »

@ RalphM
I'm interested in PSPad syntax highlighting.
Though I haven't had the time to adventure into scripting much.
I use PSPad because there is XYplorer syntax highlighting for it. :D
XYplorer - Simply the Best!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

kunkel321 wrote:...Looks like it was done in 2010... There can't be too many changes in the xys language since then...
Maybe not too many changes, but I'll have to scroll through the changelog since 2010!!! and find all the changes in order to incorporate them.
As a rough guess there have been about 600 beta versions since then.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

FluxTorpedoe wrote: ... Installation:
- simply unzip (with folder structure) in your Akelpad directory...
Cool thanks for posting! Akelpad does have some appeal. It's minimalist design makes it super-fast loading. I'm not able to get it to "see" your plugin though... I have it here
C:\Program Files\PortableApps\AkelPad-4.7.9-bin-eng\Akelpad-SyntaxHighlight_XYplorer(v11_60_0209)
next to
AkelFiles (dir)
AkelPad.exe
AkelPad.ini
When I open the plugins dialog it isn't there, and there is no way to browse to it.

Anyway, probably I will stick with PSPad, since it also allows 'clips.' AkelPad is a nice notepad replacement though. Windows Task Manager says it uses <2 MB of RAM--which is pretty cool... The one I've used for years is TEDNPad, which is also small. Sadly TNP doesn't have syntax highlighting--it does offer the first line of a new file as the default file name though... Which is my favorite feature.
RalphM wrote:... but I'll have to scroll through the changelog since 2010!!! and find all the changes in order to incorporate them.
As a rough guess there have been about 600 beta versions since then.
Good point! (you should write a script to extract the relevant parts of the changelog.... :wink: )
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

kunkel321 wrote:
FluxTorpedoe wrote: ... Installation:
- simply unzip (with folder structure) in your Akelpad directory...
Cool thanks for posting! Akelpad does have some appeal. It's minimalist design makes it super-fast loading. I'm not able to get it to "see" your plugin though... I have it here
C:\Program Files\PortableApps\AkelPad-4.7.9-bin-eng\Akelpad-SyntaxHighlight_XYplorer(v11_60_0209)
next to
AkelFiles (dir)
AkelPad.exe
AkelPad.ini
When I open the plugins dialog it isn't there, and there is no way to browse to it.
It seems you flattened the folder structure when unzipping.
- File xys.coder should be next to the other *.coder files in:
AkelPad\AkelFiles\Plugs\Coder\
- and file ContextMenu.ini should be next to ContextMenu.dll in:
AkelPad\AkelFiles\Plugs\

And yes, Akelpad is really fast, and with its default plugins (Toolbar, Coder, etc.), it's still quite powerful! :)