Multilingual Support

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
Filehero

Re: Multilingual Support

Post by Filehero »

j_c_hallgren wrote:DmFederov is showing the format that I've seen used in most language files that I've seen .....
Than you haven't seen language files (resource bundles) in Java (or some other languages) where you have a file per language.
IMHO, this is an much better approach. A translator can focus on his keys/labels and is not in danger of smashing existing localizations.

BTW, UltraEdit is a proper reference for good software. :wink:

Cheers,
Filehero

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

-------------It is not criticism. Ok?------------
No matter what form will be selected as lng-file (when it works)

I only wish tell what I will do to translate this list.
I will load it into microsoft acces or I will load it into the Radialix program.

I will make it for the simple reason: Blindly it is almost impossible to translate for receiving a high-quality translation.
In Access I can sort, do inquiries, achieve the same examples-translation and have columns where will be specified in what place there is a line for translation.
More better effect I will receive in the Radialix translate-program. Better - because changes are traced. And you know: XY changes often.

I think that for translation nevertheless it is necessary to have a kind of a blank, (kind of preparation) with notes where there (in XY) is every line. After translation file should be overworked and brought into a look which requires a minimum for memory load. For example i can delete these notes.

------
in XY code i have not found the >>
>> is very good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you can probably do a lot of things with Radialix. But, of course, not every possible translator has Radialix. I try to keep the LNG file format as self-explaining as possible.

And generally @all: The task here is to open an very big application like XY (DmFedorov counted 7,000 places that need translations) for Multilingual Support after 15 years of daily development hard-coded to English. This needs a little out-of-the-box thinking and non-standard solutions in order to get to good results in a reasonable time while keeping the app open and unhindered for further development in the future at the same speed as before.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Hi Don!

I'll for sure not translate XYplorer (since I do not think that there would be any more interest for a non-English XYplorer in the speaking areas of the languages known to me) but nevertheless I am a fan of your format.

It is very similar to something I have conceptualised some years ago while developing something with Delphi (but run out of time and energy before it ever got out there in the world). Would the coding be UTF-8? In my application (the one which was dead before birth, so to speak), I was easily able to switch GUI language on the fly, without the need of closing application.

Personally, I was always wondering why that mess with resource strings and the like. So, if I were you, I would definitely go the way you are suggesting.

(But, I admit, I have BeyondCompare and would probably be using it for tracking your possible daily introduction of new strings to be translated. So, maybe it would not be a bad idea if you would conceive a system of pointing out the newly introduced strings for existing translations, in order to facilitate keeping translation in sync with your development.)

Regards,
Borut
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

UTF-8 or Unicode. Depends on further testing, especially East-Asia.
Borut wrote:(But, I admit, I have BeyondCompare and would probably be using it for tracking your possible daily introduction of new strings to be translated. So, maybe it would not be a bad idea if you would conceive a system of pointing out the newly introduced strings for existing translations, in order to facilitate keeping translation in sync with your development.)
Yes, something like this will come.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) Just FYI: Making good progress. It's actually a fascinating job. Today I successfully completed the grammatical number algorithms for all major languages, actually for almost all languages mentioned on this page: http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk ... rules.html

I skipped Manx for now, sorry Isle of Man, bump me if you need it. But, of course, my algorithms are abstract enough to also add Klingonian if needed, even Kölsch! Well, I made it even open and extensible, so YOU could add your particular dialect of Klingonian easily! :mrgreen:

Back to work... :twisted:

Karl M

Post by Karl M »

admin wrote:... even Kölsch
Mann, du hast's gut - jeden Tag Kölsch trinken zu können.

Bin viel zu selten in Köln - zuletzt im "Alten Wartesaal". ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Karl M wrote:
admin wrote:... even Kölsch
Mann, du hast's gut - jeden Tag Kölsch trinken zu können.

Bin viel zu selten in Köln - zuletzt im "Alten Wartesaal". ;)
Na ja, frisch vom Fass ist es super, aber aus der Flasche trinke ich lieber Budweiser u.ä. -- uups, man darf hier ja nicht deutsch... :mrgreen:

Karl M

Post by Karl M »

admin wrote:... aus der Flasche trinke ich lieber Budweiser u.ä. -- uups, man darf hier ja nicht deutsch... :mrgreen:
Yes. :mrgreen:

Are you talking about the original Budweiser from Budweis? This is a really great beer!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Karl M wrote:
admin wrote:... aus der Flasche trinke ich lieber Budweiser u.ä. -- uups, man darf hier ja nicht deutsch... :mrgreen:
Yes. :mrgreen:

Are you talking about the original Budweiser from Budweis? This is a really great beer!
Sure it is, but I just go down to the Kiosk (the best feature of Cologne) and get the usual Budweiser.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Kölsch und amerikanisches Budweiser schmecken dem Vernehmen nach sehr ähnlich: Wässrig und lauwarm, völlig unabhängig von der Temperatur.

Karl M

Post by Karl M »

tux. wrote:Kölsch und amerikanisches Budweiser schmecken dem Vernehmen nach sehr ähnlich: Wässrig und lauwarm, völlig unabhängig von der Temperatur.
Oh... offensichtlich ein Düsseldorfer. ;)

tux.

Post by tux. »

Nein, ein Niedersachse, der tschechische Braukunst schätzt. ;)

Karl M

Post by Karl M »

tux. wrote:Nein, ein Niedersachse, der tschechische Braukunst schätzt. ;)
Sorry, dachte schon an die uralte Rivalität zwischen Köln (Kölsch) und Düsseldorf (Alt). ;)

Das beste tschechische Bier fand ich in Prag (vor dem Touristenstrom). Dort gibt/gab es hervorragende Biere aus kleinen Brauereien.

Aber wir werden hier langsam OT. ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tux. wrote:Kölsch und amerikanisches Budweiser schmecken dem Vernehmen nach sehr ähnlich: Wässrig und lauwarm, völlig unabhängig von der Temperatur.
Klar, dass du wieder unqualifiziert rumpöbelst. Aber als Niedersachse verdienst du mein Mitleid, du Ärmster.