New instance freezing due to network location in tabs.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...

New instance freezing due to network location in tabs.

Post by 40k »

I frequently experience long periods of unresponsiveness when starting a new instance of XYplorer which has network locations in one or more saved tabs.

I understand this might be Windows making XYplorer wait for a network response from these folders. Is there a possibility to prevent XYplorer from trying to refresh tabbed network folders upon start of a new instance?

The problem is compounded by mandatory log-in prompts triggered by network locations that require authentication.
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

admin
Site Admin

Re: New instance freezing due to network location in tabs.

Post by admin »

Slowdown cause number one: An active virus scanner can severely slow down file operations and make XYplorer less responsive. Especially Microsoft Security Essentials can have a dramatic negative effect on speed. Try to add XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe to the exceptions.

Could you check that, please?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

40k wrote:I frequently experience long periods of unresponsiveness when starting a new instance of XYplorer which has network locations in one or more saved tabs.

I understand this might be Windows making XYplorer wait for a network response from these folders. Is there a possibility to prevent XYplorer from trying to refresh tabbed network folders upon start of a new instance?

The problem is compounded by mandatory log-in prompts triggered by network locations that require authentication.
In addition to excluding security software as the cause, you could try setting Configuration > Startup & Exit:
1. No network browsing on startup;
2. Cache network servers,
to enabled.

Post by 40k »

admin wrote:Slowdown cause number one: An active virus scanner can severely slow down file operations and make XYplorer less responsive. Especially Microsoft Security Essentials can have a dramatic negative effect on speed. Try to add XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe to the exceptions.

Could you check that, please?
I don't use a virus scanner nor Microsoft Security Essentials.

Something that I should add. If during this freeze I start the regular Windows Explorer and navigate to Network locations and connect to my remote network locations that way XYplorer immediately unfreezes.
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

40k wrote:Something that I should add. If during this freeze I start the regular Windows Explorer and navigate to Network locations and connect to my remote network locations that way XYplorer immediately unfreezes.
I know it's been discussed in other posts, but I believe it's relevant here: In all cases (I don't think I've seen any exceptions), I can't access network drives unless I open them in Windows Explorer first. Then I can close Windows Explorer and live happily in the world of XY. If, for some reason, I lose the network drive, I need to use WinEx again to connect to it...

Does anyone know why this happens, or know of a workaround?