Network Operations Painfully Slow

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RAlfieri

Network Operations Painfully Slow

Post by RAlfieri »

I've turned off all of the suggested parameters to improve network share access speed (e.g. auto-refresh, generic icons, checking for sub-dirs, etc.) and still find the application will freeze for some time when access directories. There is also a long timeout when trying to access network paths that do not exist. Is this a known issue and is there a fix or other workaround?

The product is terrific. This is the only niggling issue I have. Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Rob

Tom

Re: Network Operations Painfully Slow

Post by Tom »

+1

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

You may want to review this thread about a similar problem, although by the sound of your first post you've tried most things already.

zephyrprime

Post by zephyrprime »

I concur. Also, if xyplorer has any problem accessing a network path, it will just hang forever. Just refreshing the screen (view->refresh) is enough to kill xyplorer. And if you try to start up with a tab open to a network path that is no longer available, you kill xyplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are so many factors. Most users report that XY is faster than comparable products regarding network operations. I cannot see a point where I could improve anything. :|

Welcome anyway,
Don

ogroeger

Post by ogroeger »

One thing that would help me would be not to scan all the network when i enter a precise url.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ogroeger wrote:One thing that would help me would be not to scan all the network when i enter a precise url.
You know about Configuration | Startup & Exit | Cache network servers? If ticked you can manually add the servers you want to see under Network in List management | Servers in network folder.

ogroeger

Post by ogroeger »

If i remember correctly, than the authentication box doesn't open. Sorry, i can't check this now, because i'm in front of an apple device.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC »

(Windows 7, 32 bit, 8gb ram, 1.0Gbps LAN connection)

Confirming: You don't get prompted for your credentials if accessing a share that you're not currently authenticated to.

Confirming: Even with all the suggested tweaks, launching XY is painfully slow (1-2 minutes) if one of the tabs was pointing to a network share. Most of the time, during that pause, I end up opening Explorer to get my work done. Eventually, XY opens. Seems to be getting slower and slower with each update. A couple of years ago, it seems as though it was much faster.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EnjoyRC wrote:Even with all the suggested tweaks, launching XY is painfully slow (1-2 minutes) if one of the tabs was pointing to a network share.
You mean even a background (= non-opened) tab?

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC »

admin wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:Even with all the suggested tweaks, launching XY is painfully slow (1-2 minutes) if one of the tabs was pointing to a network share.
You mean even a background (= non-opened) tab?
Nah, an active tab.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well then there is nothing I could do.

But you could improve startup by ticking Configuration | Startup & Exit | No network browsing on startup. Then it's your decision whether you want to browse that path or not.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC »

admin wrote:Well then there is nothing I could do.

But you could improve startup by ticking Configuration | Startup & Exit | No network browsing on startup. Then it's your decision whether you want to browse that path or not.
I already had that selected. I just made a change that drastically changed the startup speed.

From 3 minutes to 3 seconds. "Cache network servers"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, I thought you had done that already.