WinZip integration on 64-bit Win7

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
hankf99

WinZip integration on 64-bit Win7

Post by hankf99 »

If I select multiple files and right click, I see WinZip in the menu, with all the right choices (Add to Zip, etc.). However if I try any of those choices I get:

Error(2): The system cannot find the file specified.
"C:\Program Files\WinZip\winzip32.exe" . . . then a bunch of arguments.

How do I tell XYPlorer that the file should be winzip64.exe instead?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: WinZip integration on 64-bit Win7

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Did you see this already? http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctx64
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

@hankf99: This is weird: from your description you do see the WinZip additions to the shell context menu, but they don't work when clicked.

Could you post your exact WinZip version? Also, does a reinstall of WinZip make a difference?

hankf99

Post by hankf99 »

16.0 (9661) 64-bit

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

hankf99 wrote:16.0 (9661) 64-bit
Thank you. As I don't have WinZip:
1. does the WinZip folder have both WinZip32.exe and WinZip64.exe;
2. does un- and reinstalling WinZip make a difference?

From your description so far, it sounds like there's a problem with WinZip's 32-bit shell integration, hence the second question.

hankf99

Post by hankf99 »

No, the install folder only has the 64-bit exe.

I tried to Repair my installation (hoping for an option to simultaneously include the 32-bit exe) but it did not work.

This is a bug, and should be fixed pronto. I do a ton of zipping and this is major PITA.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

hankf99 wrote:No, the install folder only has the 64-bit exe.

I tried to Repair my installation (hoping for an option to simultaneously include the 32-bit exe) but it did not work.

This is a bug, and should be fixed pronto. I do a ton of zipping and this is major PITA.
Of course something is wrong, but since XYplorer uses the same registry information that all other applications use, it looks to be a WinZip problem. If there were a general problem with XYplorer and shell extensions or even WinZip in particular, I'd expect a lot more problem reports.

For now, I'd look at troubleshooting WinZip or even contacting their support. As a workaround, you could try installing the 32-bit version of 7-Zip which is known to work.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

The primary question is the functionality you are seeking; file selection, right-click, select shell option: does it work as you would expect in Windows Explorer? The answer to this determines the course of action.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

The primary question is the functionality you are seeking; file selection, right-click, select shell option: does it work as you would expect in Windows Explorer? The answer to this determines the course of action.
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Zardoz2293 wrote:

Not quite: Windows Explorer on 64-bit Windows is a 64-bit application that uses the regular, 64-bit portion of the registry. XYplorer, as a 32-bit application, uses a different part of the registry dedicated to 32-bit applications.

It's possible that both the 64- and 32-bit class information got mangled but I'd hope WinZip tests at least the primary (for their 64-bit version) class registration before shipping, making it more likely that only the 32-bit class information incurred a bug.

hankf99

Post by hankf99 »

It works perfectly in Windows Explorer, sorry, should have stated that at the start.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

nas8e9 wrote:Not quite: Windows Explorer on 64-bit Windows is a 64-bit application that uses the regular, 64-bit portion of the registry. XYplorer, as a 32-bit application, uses a different part of the registry dedicated to 32-bit applications.

It's possible that both the 64- and 32-bit class information got mangled but I'd hope WinZip tests at least the primary (for their 64-bit version) class registration before shipping, making it more likely that only the 32-bit class information incurred a bug.
I stand by my statement. I didn't read it (WinZip) worked with Windows Explorer (under his configuration) to start with, and that is the beginning regardless if XY is 32-bit, 64-bit, or Qubit based. Now that we know the basic is there, the next steps can be taken with confidence.

@hankf99:
I would reinstalled WinZip after you've installed XY. In my configuration WinRAR failed to correctly integrate into XY when WinRAR was installed first and then XY. Installing WinZip again might quickly resolve your concern without further diagnostics. Be sure XY isn't loaded when you perform the reinstall of WinZip.

ale

Post by ale »

Out of curiosity I tried WinZip, I have no time to do extensive testing but I'd like to confirm that it installs both 32-bit and 64-bit shell extensions on a 64-bit (Windows 7) machine and basic operations from the contextual menu in XYplorer seems to work correctly. The version I tried says in the about box "WinZip 16.0 (9715) - 64-bit".

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Seems like it may be an issue with hankf99's older vers! :)

Found this page: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/332/
which says in part:
Build 9686
5. 64-bit shell extension was looking for the 32-bit executable (winizp32.exe)
And that kinda looks like his problem, right?

So don't be blaming XY for WinZip issues that may have been fixed by them, ok?
I'd install the latest vers of WinZip and see what happens...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

hankf99

Post by hankf99 »

This sure looks promising. Nice work guys, many thanks, and I do apologize. I assumed I had latest version, I was wrong.