Would be nice, but should be a low priority
No votes
I don't want this feature ever
50%

Total votes: 2

Chris Wood

Thumbnail view

Post by Chris Wood »

IMHO, one of the most important features missing in TrackerV3 is a thumbnail view (like Explorer - thumbnails are stored in a hidden file in the directory called "thumbs.db"). It's essential for browsing directories of images.

This would be relatively unusable without the related wish "View per folder".
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail view

Post by admin »

Yeah, i'd like to have that, too. But it's not a small task... I'll put it on the "todo if there's a lot of time"-list.

Donald

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

Sorry, but I don't like it when a filemanager is writing a file into a directory just when I'm opening it. I have other programs to view images.
Regards,
Peter Bonge

My System: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, German

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thumbnail-cache files could as well be stored in TV3's home path. Also, since their only purpose is increasing speed, one could leave the choice of having them with the user.
But still a good thumbnail view constitutes a major feature (and task for me), which is why there are lots of specialized programs to view images. Even if I included a simple thumbnail view like Explorer's (and I might do one day), you will still have to resort to image viewer software if you seriously work with picture files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:... and I might do one day...
The day has come! Check out this!

Chris Wood

w00t!

Post by Chris Wood »

Yaaaay! Thankyou! :D

Problems, from worst to least (of which I'm sure you're aware, but for the record):
  1. Some thumbnails display "too large"
  2. Double-clicking on an image file no longer works
  3. Folders are thumbified
  4. State (whether thumbnail view is on or off) is not remembered between sessions

admin
Site Admin

Re: w00t!

Post by admin »

• Some thumbnails display "too large"
    -> that's on purpose, to prevent thumb processing from hogging down at huge images. Currently the max format is 1600x1200 pixels. This number (max area square pixels) will be freely editable in Configuration soon.
  • Double-clicking on an image file no longer works
    -> Double-click the name, not the thumbnail
  • Folders are thumbified
    -> ??? huh ???
  • State (whether thumbnail view is on or off) is not remembered between sessions
    -> on purpose: because it's a heavy duty mode (at least if caching is off) i want you to switch it on consciously; these things should not take place at start up.

Chris Wood

Re: w00t!

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:
  • Folders are thumbified
    -> ??? huh ???
Folders are displayed like thumbnails - ie. with huge, completely unnecessary spacing.
admin wrote:
  • State (whether thumbnail view is on or off) is not remembered between sessions
    -> on purpose: because it's a heavy duty mode (at least if caching is off) i want you to switch it on consciously; these things should not take place at start up.
How about making this an option in the config (default off)? It's kinda inconsistent in that Tracker restores all the other settings... Also, some people have computers that can handle it (and some use caching).

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Chris Wood wrote:Folders are displayed like thumbnails - ie. with huge, completely unnecessary spacing.
How about only displaying files as thumbnails if they have thumbnails?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:How about only displaying files as thumbnails if they have thumbnails?
Something along that line was in the making anyway. BETA just uploaded...
Having varying row heights within one list, however, is not possible. And I think it would look disturbing.
Chris Wood wrote:State (whether thumbnail view is on or off) is not remembered between sessions ... kinda inconsistent in that Tracker restores all the other settings...
You're right, I'll think about it again...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

The thumbnail view is excellent, especially with the slightly smaller size available now.

Rather than the status bar message being "processing thumb" and it's number I would find it more useful to have a progress indicator. Either thumb number of total number, percentage complete or a progress bar, whichever takes your fancy. Giving the actual file name does not indicate how long it is going to take to complete the thumb generating process.

Dave.