Explorer Replacement

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Lautrec

Explorer Replacement

Post by Lautrec »

Hi all.
Recently I use XYplorer and I'd like.
I noticed, however, not fully replace a Windows file manager.
I did not see an option to allow full XYplorer Explorer Replacement. That is, start with hot keys Win + E, as Windows Explorer.
How can I make that entirely replace Windows Explorer?
Had such an opportunity?

Thank you.

nas8e9

Re: Explorer Replacement

Post by nas8e9 »

Lautrec wrote:Hi all.
Recently I use XYplorer and I'd like.
I noticed, however, not fully replace a Windows file manager.
I did not see an option to allow full XYplorer Explorer Replacement. That is, start with hot keys Win + E, as Windows Explorer.
Had such an opportunity?

Thank you.
Hi and welcome,

I'm afraid XYplorer can only replace Windows Explorer in the two ways offered in Configuration > Shell Integration. Having XYplorer answer to Win+E is one of the things that aren't possible.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Lautrec wrote:I did not see an option to allow full XYplorer Explorer Replacement. That is, start with hot keys Win + E, as Windows Explorer.
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

As nas8e9 said, there are some things that M$ keeps to themselves and doesn't allow any changes to and I believe that this is one of them (Win+E)...I'm not aware of any FM that can do so...but also remember that XY is intended to work w/o chgs to Registry so that's a factpr also.

The other related part that mnay ask about is the file open/save dialogs and it's the same thing there, in that it can't be done.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Lautrec

Post by Lautrec »

I installed five file managers and found one that fulfills the requirement to replace the default file manager of Windows.
Unfortunately, it has less capacity than XYplorer - generally not much, but fewer options. Anyway, I still ponder who to use.
However, the idea to replace the default file manager with a better means full integration into the OS. If the developers fix this shortcoming of XYplorer, you'll be best file manager for Windows ever made.
OK.
Thanks for the responses and successful week all of you.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Lautrec wrote:I installed five file managers and found one that fulfills the requirement to replace the default file manager of Windows.
Unfortunately, it has less capacity than XYplorer - generally not much, but fewer options. Anyway, I still ponder who to use.
However, the idea to replace the default file manager with a better means full integration into the OS. If the developers fix this shortcoming of XYplorer, you'll be best file manager for Windows ever made.
OK.
That's absolutely your call and good luck with it.

For what it's worth, I personally don't value such functionality for two reasons:
1. XYplorer is one of the first applications I start in the morning, meaning alternative routes to calling XYplorer don't mean that much to me;
2. shell integration is difficult to get right. By that, I mean that the Windows Shell is a complex beast that, even if it works as Microsoft intended, can baffle. In that sense, XYplorer being less integrated, actually means to me that it can be independent of some of MS's more dubious choices. As part of this ethos, XYplorer has hand-coded, custom Tree and List controls, which enable lots of custom functionality.

In closing, I personally wouldn't let the choice of file manager be governed by its shell integration instead of its functionality.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

nas8e9 wrote:For what it's worth, I personally don't value such functionality for two reasons:
1. XYplorer is one of the first applications I start in the morning, meaning alternative routes to calling XYplorer don't mean that much to me;
Exactly! I have XY running 99%+ of the time so it's same here...It's normally only when I reboot that I have to start XY and that's typically only every 2+ wks or so as I put laptop in StandBy at night.
In closing, I personally wouldn't let the choice of file manager be governed by its shell integration instead of its functionality.
Same for me since shell integration usually implies that you're not using XY as the main/core appl.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Lautrec

Post by Lautrec »

I found a compromise, using the program to create hot keys. The only thing which I must get used to using command Win + "new key". This is no problem!
The more I "mess" with XYplorer the more I like it.
Now I noticed something else in the program. When I look, GIF files, the program displays them as normal images. There is no animation. Could it be "okay" and how.
Also I can not find an option that allows me to listen to audio or view video while browsing through other directories.
If I click on another tab and review is no longer available as an audio / video, also for photos.
Is this possible with XYplorer?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Lautrec wrote:I found a compromise, using the program to create hot keys. The only thing which I must get used to using command Win + "new key". This is no problem!
Glad you found a workaround/solution!
The more I "mess" with XYplorer the more I like it.
It's not perfect but it's much better than alternatives when looked at as whole, which includes the timely support you get here and from Don
Now I noticed something else in the program. When I look, GIF files, the program displays them as normal images. There is no animation. Could it be "okay" and how.
AFAIK, XY doesn't support the animation in GIF's...sorry
Also I can not find an option that allows me to listen to audio or view video while browsing through other directories.
If I click on another tab and review is no longer available as an audio / video, also for photos.
Is this possible with XYplorer?
No, because XY is a FILE MANAGER first and not an audio/video player...playing music while doing other tasks is a job for WMP/VLC or similar...XY lets you play them to decide what to do with the file, not to be a substitute for another appl.

Lautrec

Post by Lautrec »

OK, I understand.
Thank you.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Lautrec wrote:I installed five file managers and found one that fulfills the requirement to replace the default file manager of Windows.
OK.
Which FM product performs the integration? I know it once existed in Norton Commander. But today which FM product? Thanks!
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

nas8e9 wrote:In closing, I personally wouldn't let the choice of file manager be governed by its shell integration instead of its functionality.
It's good you are satisfied with the current architecture.

However, long-term shell integration is a very serious consideration for mainstream acceptance. Some aspects of XY's integration is cumbersome in real word complex workflows -- everything needs to be seamless. That said, it is technically possible for full integration into the shell "replacing" Explorer. The shell extensions exist to tap into this technology. The question is at what cost? I'd project it would take serious development and architectural changes which would consume at least six months of nothing else but implementation, this is outside of the bugs which would be introduced. It would be very slick, but there is a host of other features that need to be implemented long before such efforts where to occur. Since XY is designed to be standalone via USB stick, etc. the architectural changes would require the total integration component to be able to 'disconnect' from the other part of XY so this capability would still exist. Someone introduced me to AutoHotKey. Now I'm not a fan of adding yet another tool to augment a capability that would be implemented in another product to provide full robustness, it is important to be realistic. Therefore, this tool, AutoHotKey, can and will provide your Windows+E remapping to XYplorer. Greg wrote a very nice little solution that will help you achieve this goal: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... -want/1188
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:For what it's worth, I personally don't value such functionality for two reasons:
Exactly! I have XY running 99%+ of the time so it's same here...It's normally only when I reboot that I have to start XY and that's typically only every 2+ wks or so as I put laptop in StandBy at night.
Same for me since shell integration usually implies that you're not using XY as the main/core appl.
24/7 XY loaded, sounds nice, but if you do anything with changing XY folder or file "icons" you're screwed, and must terminate XY and restart. This typically occurs a dozen or more times per day under the workflow I'm currently experiencing. I'd like to never have to restart XY but that isn't reality.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:It's not perfect but it's much better than alternatives when looked at as whole, which includes the timely support you get here and from Don
If you can satisfy me, you can do anything: XY is best in the industry as a whole, the adventure is a sunrise with an exciting future for all.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Zardoz2293 wrote:24/7 XY loaded, sounds nice, but if you do anything with changing XY folder or file "icons" you're screwed, and must terminate XY and restart. This typically occurs a dozen or more times per day under the workflow I'm currently experiencing. I'd like to never have to restart XY but that isn't reality.
Just curious as to why your workflow requires those type of chgs that often...I can't even recall when I had that situation occur last...I will admit to restarting XY when I install a new vers but for everyday use, I'm now using a vers that has been out for a bit.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
Zardoz2293 wrote:24/7 XY loaded, sounds nice, but if you do anything with changing XY folder or file "icons" you're screwed, and must terminate XY and restart. This typically occurs a dozen or more times per day under the workflow I'm currently experiencing. I'd like to never have to restart XY but that isn't reality.
Just curious as to why your workflow requires those type of chgs that often...I can't even recall when I had that situation occur last...I will admit to restarting XY when I install a new vers but for everyday use, I'm now using a vers that has been out for a bit.
My current workflow involves changing the icons for folders and files. XY will not refresh the icons in the List View w/o performing a cache update -- which should be automatic if "auto-refresh" is enabled. However, the Tree View is not refreshed when you change the default icon. Ironically, if you change the icon back to the default a refresh event occurs and the Tree View for the changed back to default icon is then displayed. Only solution is to quit XY and launch XY again to get the Tree View updated. I'm not including performing an XY version update into the equation. Further, with the Scripting Branch View problem I'm encountering, if I choose to research and find the exact cause, that is XY restarts up and beyond.