Taskbar tools

What other productivity software are you working with...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Taskbar tools

Post by j_c_hallgren »

This is another little free utility that I've come to depend on (and since I'm not yet on Win7, the fact that it doesn't work there is ok) to arrange my taskbar into the order that I prefer, like XY always at left end, and Opera next, and such:
http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Pagat

Re: Taskbar tools

Post by Pagat »

j_c_hallgren wrote:(and since I'm not yet on Win7, the fact that it doesn't work there is ok)
Win7 does this natively ;)

At work, where i'm still on Win XP, i use taskix

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

For functionality:
7 Taskbar Tweaker fixes most of the taskbar annoyances introduced with Win7
http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

For cosmetic reasons only: :oops:
If you autohide the taskbar Windows still leaves a thin grey line on the edge where the bar is located. This can be annoying if you have a dark desktop and monitor surround. TaskbarHide is a minimal app that does one thing -remove this line. I've used it without problem since Win98 but it didn't get along with the start orb in Win7. Fixed if you remove the start orb.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html

eil

Post by eil »

i'd wish i find some small utility providing tray functions. does anyone know any?
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

tux.

Post by tux. »

You mean, like: A separate bar providing your tray icons? Or something that puts everything into the tray? Or what? :shock:

eil

Post by eil »

tux. wrote:You mean, like: A separate bar providing your tray icons?
yes. the one that could provide tray icons and same functionality. rather often i keep shell/explorer.exe running only for that.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Emerge Desktop, maybe?

AlmaAngeles

Post by AlmaAngeles »

6 Tools for Elegant Taskbar Tweaking and 1 to Repair:

1. Taskbar Shuffle -Straight from the nerd cave, this ingenious tool lets you re-arrange buttons on your taskbar via simple drag and drop.
2. Visual Tooltip - Visual Tooltip let’s you view a thumbnail of any taskbar item simply by moving the cursor over the respective button.
3. ShortPopUp & menuApp - Both of these applications will add some more functionality to your Quick Launch Bar.
4. Free Launch Bar - If the two Quick Launch Bar tools described above were a little too challenging, you might be interested in Free Launch Ba
5. Taskbar Repair Tool Plus! - The Taskbar is a fragile little thing, so if things go wrong, turn to this repair tool to bring your old setup back.
6. XNeat - This little Windows Manager comes with a few nice features for your Taskbar.

eil

Post by eil »

tux. wrote:Emerge Desktop, maybe?
i tried it, but it seems bugged somewhat. yet, i trued to use its Tray module alone and it proved to be insufficient(it doesn't really provide same as WinTray functionality).

tux.

Post by tux. »

Well, was just an idea... the only one I know yet.

Anselma

Post by Anselma »

eil wrote:i'd wish i find some small utility providing tray functions. does anyone know any?
Winstep Nexus is a free dock application which comes with a feature to show tray icon on its dock. I am not sure if it suits what you want but taking a look at it won't bite you. :wink: But you may find it not too small if you just install it to assign the show-tray-icon function.

eil

Post by eil »

Anselma wrote:Winstep Nexus is a free dock application which comes with a feature to show tray icon on its dock. I am not sure if it suits what you want but taking a look at it won't bite you. :wink: But you may find it not too small if you just install it to assign the show-tray-icon function.
tried it too. it does provide tray functions only while explorer.exe is running(+ as you mentioned is not so "small"). so it's out of goal. still thanks for suggestion. :wink:

Twisten

Post by Twisten »

So, you guys like 'taskix' or 'taskbar shuffle' better ?
taskix seems to have more options but I haven't tried it.

eil

Post by eil »

Twisten wrote:So, you guys like 'taskix' or 'taskbar shuffle' better ?
taskix seems to have more options but I haven't tried it.
i'm testing Taskix right now. it really has more functions, besides i don't use 7 so have no problem.

add: by the way, does anyone know how to start it already "activated"?