Remember tree settings for each tab, and other search wishes

Features wanted...
Stilez

Re: Remember tree settings for each tab, and other search wi

Post by Stilez »

admin wrote:Simply put your whole app data folder to the secure location. You can use startup.ini for that (see Help).

tiago

Post by tiago »

(...)
Please, can these be fixed or config options created to allow these behaviors? What I'd like in summary:

Config option to keep tree state "per tab"
I have a different point of view of this. I'd like to have such a feature but focused on the tabs-tree (no "mini-trees" here) relation as I think the tree should be strictly attached to what each tab does, did and keeps in tab history. Each tab sharing the same tree means several folders with tens or hundreds of subfolders being opened at the same time and when I have to scroll up or down after a folder to drag content into, I have to scroll through all of those folders who do not belong to that task in any way.
If the tree could just display the state and history of opened folders for each opened tab instead of global then I could have very smaller trees to deal with thus making my management easier.
Global tree as it is is the main reason why I keep apart from Catalog as I have to save space due to current behavior of the tree-tabs relation. Widescreen just made this worse.
Power-hungry user!!!

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

tiago wrote:
(...)
Please, can these be fixed or config options created to allow these behaviors? What I'd like in summary:

Config option to keep tree state "per tab"
I have a different point of view of this. I'd like to have such a feature but focused on the tabs-tree (no "mini-trees" here) relation as I think the tree should be strictly attached to what each tab does, did and keeps in tab history. Each tab sharing the same tree means several folders with tens or hundreds of subfolders being opened at the same time and when I have to scroll up or down after a folder to drag content into, I have to scroll through all of those folders who do not belong to that task in any way.
If the tree could just display the state and history of opened folders for each opened tab instead of global then I could have very smaller trees to deal with thus making my management easier.
Global tree as it is is the main reason why I keep apart from Catalog as I have to save space due to current behavior of the tree-tabs relation. Widescreen just made this worse.
I can certainly see from the above that having the whole tree would be useful for this usage case. At the same time, I think the mini-tree version would be most useful for me (and for some others based on their comments).

As a result, I think there would be great usefulness in having the tree remembered per tab, including possibly remembering whether the full tree or mini tree is being used. Alternatively, since that might be difficult (i.e. having some tabs have mini trees, and others having full trees, though it wouldn't surprise me if Don could do it easily), another option would be to have tree-per-tab remembered, with the tree same tree type for all tabs (with the selected tree type depending on the configuration setting).

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

One minor request related to search.

On "Find Files" config, can the option of where to put the search results be split into two options "Show search results in:" (current tab, new tab, search results tab) and a check box "Lock"

The reason is this would allow results to be locked when created in the current (or new) tab as well as in a search results tab. Current + locked would be a nice combination but isn't available at the moment :)

tiago

Post by tiago »

Any foreseeable option for us wanting to have a more closer, individual trees-tabs relation?
Power-hungry user!!!

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

(Having checked with Tiago, it turns out it's the same thing - the option to keep tree state independently for each tab. The points made in avsfan's comment and his optimism about Don's magical capability are noted :lol: )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's not that easy to do. Other things will have to happen before I even have time to think about it.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:It's not that easy to do. Other things will have to happen before I even have time to think about it.
When (hopefully) you will think about it, some day, might that be the time when you also think again about Dual Tree / Tree Per Pane or however it could be named?

As: when having tree settings per tab, and one active tab per pane, you have the data for trees of both panes. Then you had "only" to enable the display of a second tree - and many people would be happy :D
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:
admin wrote:It's not that easy to do. Other things will have to happen before I even have time to think about it.
When (hopefully) you will think about it, some day, might that be the time when you also think again about Dual Tree / Tree Per Pane or however it could be named?

As: when having tree settings per tab, and one active tab per pane, you have the data for trees of both panes. Then you had "only" to enable the display of a second tree - and many people would be happy :D
That's another story, much bigger and uglier...

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Sorry: I wonder why? As the info you need for the 2nd tree seems to be there, then?
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:Sorry: I wonder why? As the info you need for the 2nd tree seems to be there, then?
Remember how much time it took to add dual pane?

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

Coding takes time...... Hopefully the above thread means this is something we can look forward to, even if not "tomorrow" - I am sure when it's done it'll look good! :)

Stilez

Post by Stilez »

Stilez wrote:Coding takes time...... Hopefully the above thread means this is something we can look forward to, even if not "tomorrow" - I am sure when it's done it'll look good! :)
Any chance of this as an early present for 2012? :lol: :lol: :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stilez wrote:
Stilez wrote:Coding takes time...... Hopefully the above thread means this is something we can look forward to, even if not "tomorrow" - I am sure when it's done it'll look good! :)
Any chance of this as an early present for 2012? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Naah, not really.