"Select Items" Suggestions.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: "Select Items" Suggestions.

Post by admin »

I thought about it too, and now think that Select Items indeed should auto-focus but Selection Filter should not. The difference is that with Selection Filter you do not know which and how many items are selected (I personally use it often to count items of a certain pattern) -- it is less natural than with Select Items that you need the focus on the first selected item.

Also the selectitems scripting command will by default focus the first selected item. And the selfilter scripting command will not. So symmetry will be increased.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Well...
99% of my Selection Filter usage consists in selecting a certain type(s) of file(s) to move them anywhere else. When I have to sort them in a subfolder, CTRL+SHIFT+X (Move [from] Here to New Subfolder...) and all fine. Problem comes when I have to scroll after them to do the moving to another upper/external location, and that's when the auto-focus of the view port comes handy, and I'd really expect that SF could behave like now SI does, since I use SF and SI in a proportion like 90-10...
...but I at least I can "Focus First Selected Item", so thank you anyway! 8)
---
References:

Code: Select all

v9.60.0116 - 2010-10-30 13:02
    + CKS | Miscellaneous | Focus: Added command "Focus First Selected
      Item" (#1048). In the List, moves the focus to the first selected
      item from top, and moves it into view if necessary. Also focuses
      the list if necessary. If no item is selected the focused item is
      moved into view. If the focused item is selected but not current
      item (not on Info Panel) it is made current item.

* Menu Edit | Select | Select Items...: Now the first selected item
      from top is focused and moved into view.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I find Focus First Selected Item so useful I (personally, not factory) mapped key Numpad Add on it. :)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:I find Focus First Selected Item so useful I (personally, not factory) mapped key Numpad Add on it. :)
...and I were always reluctant in suggesting it... tsc, tsc... :roll:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Fabulous discovering (guys, don't look at me that way... lol):

::#253; #1048;
That way I can use -selection filter, (XY will wait until SF is done), then jumping to the first selected item the same way selection filter now does.
Ah, my poor UDC... :(
:wink:

abc550

Post by abc550 »

1) Is there any option to use in the dialog "Select Items" for filenames wildcards (*and ?) and/or regular expressions?

2) If the current tab shows a search result for several folders, it obviously might include several files with the same names, say, files "decript.ion" in the every subfolder. However if you enter the selection pattern "decript.ion" in the dialog box, only some of those matched files will be selected. Namely it selects as many files as you put them in the "Select Item" window. Say you've entered in "Select Item" the following:

decript.ion
decript.ion
decript.ion
As a result XYplorer selects 3 first files with the name decript.ion and all other (say 10 files) will leave unselected.
Is such behaviour intentional or it's a bug?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

abc550 wrote:1) Is there any option to use in the dialog "Select Items" for filenames wildcards (*and ?) and/or regular expressions?

2) If the current tab shows a search result for several folders, it obviously might include several files with the same names, say, files "decript.ion" in the every subfolder. However if you enter the selection pattern "decript.ion" in the dialog box, only some of those matched files will be selected. Namely it selects as many files as you put them in the "Select Item" window. Say you've entered in "Select Item" the following:

decript.ion
decript.ion
decript.ion
As a result XYplorer selects 3 first files with the name decript.ion and all other (say 10 files) will leave unselected.
Is such behaviour intentional or it's a bug?
1) Select Items does not support wildcard patterns. This is not the idea of select items.
2) One could discuss this, and your case is certainly a special case, but I would say this is a feature.

CodeLobster

Post by CodeLobster »

at first i thought the idea wild.

but then i see i can ask xyplorer to sort by path asce{desce}nding thus controlling a bit in which folders i need select items to be applied.

say if i enter a name just once and xyplorer selects them all but if i quickly {enter} {ctrl_v} say 3 times then xyplorer will select just the top 4 files matching the pattern and im ready to do whatever i want with those files.

i like it.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

admin wrote:
abc550 wrote:1) Is there any option to use in the dialog "Select Items" for filenames wildcards (*and ?) and/or regular expressions?
1) Select Items does not support wildcard patterns. This is not the idea of select items.
menu "Edit > Select > Select Items..."
is meant for to paste in some names from the clipboard to select just that files.

To select Items with wildcards (*and ?) and/or regular expressions try
menu "Edit > Select > Selection Filter... /Ctrl+M" to select items by an pattern.

Tip: also try Ctrl+J