File Comments do not appear in column

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Miguel Melo

File Comments do not appear in column

Post by Miguel Melo »

Steps to replicate:

1) Select a couple of JPG files in a folder, r-click, select Properties;
2) In the "Details" Tab, enter something on Comments and Apply;
3) Add "Comment" column to list view;

You will not be able to see the file comments. I believe this may be because the column should, in XY, be "Comments" and not "Comment";
I have vague plans for World Domination

admin
Site Admin

Re: File Comments do not appear in column

Post by admin »

The "Comment" is from XY's native file tagging. The shell's "Comments" column is currently not supported (but planned).

Miguel Melo

Post by Miguel Melo »

admin wrote:The "Comment" is from XY's native file tagging. The shell's "Comments" column is currently not supported (but planned).
I see - thanks for the info, Don. :)

Support for comments will be welcome when it does come. To give you my real life scenario for it: I tend to back up virtually all the photos I take with my digital camera, but since I only print a few of them I use the comments to "mark" which JPEGs were set to the printing lab.

This way, whenever I go back to a folder with 1000 pictures a couple of years later looking to make another print of one the best ones, I only look for those commented as "printed". :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not append a "_p" or so to the filename? I personally would rather not rely on the shell's extended properties. You never know what will happen to them in the next Windows, and not all media support those alternate data streams.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Why not append a "_p" or so to the filename? I personally would rather not rely on the shell's extended properties. You never know what will happen to them in the next Windows, and not all media support those alternate data streams.
"Alternate data stream"? I thought it's a tag inside the .jpg-file? And many programs (almost all handling .jpg) are able to work with these tags - WE is just "another one"?
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:
admin wrote:Why not append a "_p" or so to the filename? I personally would rather not rely on the shell's extended properties. You never know what will happen to them in the next Windows, and not all media support those alternate data streams.
"Alternate data stream"? I thought it's a tag inside the .jpg-file? And many programs (almost all handling .jpg) are able to work with these tags - WE is just "another one"?
It depends on the file type. JPG has indeed embedded meta info, but some files have not and still can get comments through Alternate data streams. At least under XP. AFAIK this technology has been deprecated in Win7 (because of security risks) so Win7 can attach comments to fewer file types than XP could.

Miguel Melo

Post by Miguel Melo »

admin wrote:Why not append a "_p" or so to the filename?
Because it's something that you cannot do from windows explorer vanilla by selecting all files and changing one setting. I would have to do a bulk rename (which is not available and/or easy on most explorer replacements). Having it on a tag also makes sorting for the state a breeze as long as the column is visible.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Miguel Melo wrote:
admin wrote:Why not append a "_p" or so to the filename?
Because it's something that you cannot do from windows explorer vanilla by selecting all files and changing one setting. I would have to do a bulk rename (which is not available and/or easy on most explorer replacements). ...
But you use XYplorer anyway, do you? ;-)

Filename.jpg

TO:
Filename printed at 2011.05.10.jpg

DO an XYScript for all selected files:

Code: Select all

rename b, "* printed at <date yyyymmdd>";

Or just
rename b, "*_p";
only if you prefer.

Miguel Melo

Post by Miguel Melo »

Stefan wrote: But you use XYplorer anyway, do you? ;-)
lol... yes I do. But I didn't always use it and, for consistency's sake with my older bazillion photos, I'd rather keep doing the other way (even if Xy doesn't support it fully). Also some of this "photo housekeeping" is occasionally done by my wife and if I were to ever use a work like "macro" or "script" on a sentence to her, she'd kick me out of the house! :D

But thanks for the tip - I have learned something and will be using this for other stuff in the future!

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Miguel Melo wrote:
Stefan wrote: But you use XYplorer anyway, do you? ;-)
lol... yes I do. But I didn't always use it and, for consistency's sake with my older bazillion photos, I'd rather keep doing the other way (even if Xy doesn't support it fully). Also some of this "photo housekeeping" is occasionally done by my wife and if I were to ever use a work like "macro" or "script" on a sentence to her, she'd kick me out of the house! :D

But thanks for the tip - I have learned something and will be using this for other stuff in the future!
But you could define a button to call this script. Then you wouldn't have to talk about scripts to your wife, but only about a button :D
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman