Check Open Tabs

Features wanted...
phatmankerr

Check Open Tabs

Post by phatmankerr »

Catalog is looking great :D - I just have one gripe. My real need for the Catalog was so that I could work without 30 or so tabs open (don't ask - all local drives, including removables plus several network locations and several individual folders for each - it soon adds up).

Don't know if it's feasible, but I have found that I end up opening a location from the Catalog as several tabs (if I don't bother checking the open tabs). Is there any chance that selecting a catlog item could check if the location was aready open as a tab and if so just jump to that tab.

I can see no logical reason for having a location open as two tabs (but I am open to suggestions).

Realise it is laziness on my part, but it would be a useful feature.

Don't worry if this will slow the Catalog down - I can live with duplicate tabs if it means sacrificing speed.

Cheers

Phat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Check Open Tabs

Post by admin »

I can relate to your idea, although I'm inclined to make that behavior optional (so a Catalog settings tab in Configuration is around the corner...)
phatmankerr wrote:I can see no logical reason for having a location open as two tabs (but I am open to suggestions).
Plus you could force a new tab if you really by holding Shift or Ctrl.

So, I'm with ya, but let's wait for other opinions...

phatmankerr

Fair Enough

Post by phatmankerr »

Seems like a fair assesment.

As you say users can Force a new tab if they really want to (gets round the need to make it optional - but I wouldn't want to force it on everyone if they don't need it).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fair Enough

Post by admin »

phatmankerr wrote:As you say users can Force a new tab if they really want to (gets round the need to make it optional - but I wouldn't want to force it on everyone if they don't need it).
Nobody said a word, so I made a decision: it's a great feature! I added it without any option to turn it off. :D

Little disadvantage: while you can hold Shift to force opening in a new tab, you have no way to force opening it in the current tab when another tab pointing to it is found.

So I added an undocumented feature (might change without notice): hold ALT to force opening in current tab.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Sounds cool, though that ALT behaviour is pretty weird and I doubt anyone will use it, it's easier to just open a new tab than to remember that...
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Sounds cool, though that ALT behaviour is pretty weird and I doubt anyone will use it, it's easier to just open a new tab than to remember that...
Yeah, that's why I said undocumented. Sooner or later a better use for ALT will come up...