Problems with navigating with keyboard

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
peterbonge

Problems with navigating with keyboard

Post by peterbonge »

If I have a folder named "TreeCAD" and I want to navigate to this folder I type "T-R-E" and all is fine. But if I type "T-R-E-E" it jumps to "Eigene Dateien"...
Regards,
Peter Bonge

My System: Windows 11 Pro, 64-bit, German

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with navigating with keyboard

Post by admin »

peterbonge wrote:If I have a folder named "TreeCAD" and I want to navigate to this folder I type "T-R-E" and all is fine. But if I type "T-R-E-E" it jumps to "Eigene Dateien"...
If there's a match any subsequent keyboard inputs start a new search. "T-R-E" did find "TreeCAD", the next "E" started from top and found "Eigene Dateien". It's a feature.

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

I don't know if this feature really makes sense:

1. It's not like in other file managers and like in the Explorer.
2. Assuming you have the folders "Tree1" to "Tree100". You can't navigate to a specific folder with the keyboard (except with the arrow keys)...

And: With TrackerV3 you have to type faster than with the Explorer.
Regards,
Peter Bonge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're right, I put that on my list. Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I managed it -- very interesting programming task!
peterbonge wrote:And: With TrackerV3 you have to type faster than with the Explorer.
In TrackerV3 you have (or had, see below) 0.5 seconds for each keypress; if you take longer the pressed key is taken as the first letter of a fresh search term.
I could not find any information about Explorer's exact timing, but surely, as you said, you can type slower there.
Because, as everybody knows, ultimate happiness lies in peace and tranquility, I raised the allowed time to 0.75 seconds! Spread the word: Relaxed navigation with TrackerV3.

peterbonge

Post by peterbonge »

Thanx! But I found another problem: Signs and spaces are not recognized. In the programs folder if I type "Online-D" it stops at "Online Services" and not at "Online-Dienste". And if I type "Windows N" it stops at "Windows Media Player" and not at "Windows NT"...

Another Problem: At folders with a lot of files/subfolders it sometimes scrolls so much that there is much empty space at the bottom (when navigating with the keyboard). Then I can't scroll to the top anymore. I have to refresh the folder first.
Regards,
Peter Bonge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You'll have to do without signs and spaces. Use the arrow keys to solve your problems.
EDIT: space and "-" is possible, and that's about it.
peterbonge wrote:Another Problem: At folders with a lot of files/subfolders it sometimes scrolls so much that there is much empty space at the bottom (when navigating with the keyboard). Then I can't scroll to the top anymore. I have to refresh the folder first.
Cannot reproduce.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Cannot reproduce.
... I thought, but then I could! And I also could fix it. See next BETA...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I've found another problem with keyboard navigation.
If I have files named 111-XXXX typing 1 1 1 simply moves to file 100- and then steps through the 100- sequence of files. Typing 1 1 1 - finds the first file named 111-XXXX.
It would appear that if the same character is typed repeatedly it is not recognize as a string of characters but as individual characters, so jumps to the next occurrence of the filename starting with that character.
I also noticed that numbers on the NumPad are not recognised, only the numbers on the main alpha keyboard - not important now I know which number keys to use.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:It would appear that if the same character is typed repeatedly it is not recognize as a string of characters but as individual characters, so jumps to the next occurrence of the filename starting with that character.
That's about what happens, more correctly: if the same first character is typed repeatedly... It's inherent to the method behind this feature; try it in Explorer and you'll see that it behaves just the same.
Gandolf wrote:I also noticed that numbers on the NumPad are not recognised, only the numbers on the main alpha keyboard - not important now I know which number keys to use.
I'll look into that...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote: try it in Explorer and you'll see that it behaves just the same
I would have thought that was a good reason for making TrackerV3 work better!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote: try it in Explorer and you'll see that it behaves just the same
I would have thought that was a good reason for making TrackerV3 work better!!
It's not about "better". What you perceive as a bug is actually a feature. It allows you to quickly single-step by keyboard (even by holding down the key) through lists of files with the same first letter.

Additionally, there's this sophisticated not widely known behavior: once you type a different letter, the whole sequence is compared to the file names. Take this list:
011.txt
110.txt
111.txt
112.txt

Start with first item focused.
Type 1 1 1, and you'll end up at the last file. (pattern 1, 1, 1)
Type 1 1 0, and you'll end up at the second file. (pattern 110)

So, just as you found out, in your case the solution is: Typing 1 1 1 - finds the first file named 111-XXXX.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Just seen the latest beta, thanks for the NumPad keys - I use numbers a lot in filenames and get used to using the NumPad.