HashTab not shown on the file properties dialog

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: HashTab not shown on the file properties dialog

Post by admin »

PS: Would SHA-256 help, or better SHA-1?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:PS: Would SHA-256 help, or better SHA-1?
Being greedy: both would be great. I don't know whether the algorithm is the same with just a different hash size?

As regards performance, when switching from XYplorer, switching back to it doesn't work while hashing a 1 GB file is in progress. The time taken for such a large file on my computer, is 95 seconds for XYplorer vs. 11 for HashOnClick; Linux .iso files tend to be between 2.5 and 3.5 times as large...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:PS: Would SHA-256 help, or better SHA-1?
Being greedy: both would be great. I don't know whether the algorithm is the same with just a different hash size?

As regards performance, when switching from XYplorer, switching back to it doesn't work while hashing a 1 GB file is in progress. The time taken for such a large file on my computer, is 95 seconds for XYplorer vs. 11 for HashOnClick; Linux .iso files tend to be between 2.5 and 3.5 times as large...
Yes, it's a very tight loop to gain speed. Not satisfying, I know.

I'd need machine code for RotateLeft (ROL) and AddUnsigned (add 2 Words, 4 bytes each) to further increase the speed. My search was not lucky yet.

I'll look at SHA shortly and then move on to Color filters by date...

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:Yes, it's a very tight loop to gain speed. Not satisfying, I know.

I'd need machine code for RotateLeft (ROL) and AddUnsigned (add 2 Words, 4 bytes each) to further increase the speed. My search was not lucky yet.

Given the current state, do you intend to promote hashing to menu status or do you keep it confined to scripting?

Personally, I think that taking hashing out-of-process (thus making it non-blocking) is the only way to take this up to "first-class" functionality given the best-case performance of hashing in general, as discussed earlier.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:Ah, the old myth again... :roll: No, this has nothing to do with language. VB is compiled to native code like any other serious language.
admin wrote:OK, I injected a bit of ASM into the MD5 algorithm and could more than double its speed. But, of course, that's not really great yet. At this point I rather give up and move on to other tasks...
:?:
Why ASM, when VB is (compiled to) native code?

I don't know anything about the quality of VB's native code. But my impression was (and still is), that native code (made by a good programmer) in ASM in most cases is more effective, as if it were coded in a higher language. Though it depends on the programmer, on the language, and it's possible level of code optimization.

So I'm always a bit astonished, when you try to make the impression, VB leads to native code, and everything is good. Unless you only want to say, it's compiled, and not just interpreted...
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:
admin wrote:Ah, the old myth again... :roll: No, this has nothing to do with language. VB is compiled to native code like any other serious language.
admin wrote:OK, I injected a bit of ASM into the MD5 algorithm and could more than double its speed. But, of course, that's not really great yet. At this point I rather give up and move on to other tasks...

I don't know anything about the quality of VB's native code. But my impression was (and still is), that native code (made by a good programmer) in ASM in most cases is more effective, as if it were coded in a higher language. Though it depends on the programmer, on the language, and it's possible level of code optimization.

So I'm always a bit astonished, when you try to make the impression, VB leads to native code, and everything is good. Unless you only want to say, it's compiled, and not just interpreted...
VB does not provide certain bitwise operators like ShiftLeft and ShiftRight. You can emulate the functionality, but in a way that the compiler cannot translate into super-optimized machine code. However, there are ways to "inject" machine code directly into the VB source code. I was not right when I said "injected a bit of ASM", I actually injected machine code.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:Yes, it's a very tight loop to gain speed. Not satisfying, I know.

Given the current state, do you intend to promote hashing to menu status or do you keep it confined to scripting?

Personally, I think that taking hashing out-of-process (thus making it non-blocking) is the only way to take this up to "first-class" functionality given the best-case performance of hashing in general, as discussed earlier.
I agree. I will leave it at the current 3rd class level (undocumented scripting command). :)

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:
PeterH wrote:

VB does not provide certain bitwise operators like ShiftLeft and ShiftRight. You can emulate the functionality, but in a way that the compiler cannot translate into super-optimized machine code. However, there are ways to "inject" machine code directly into the VB source code. I was not right when I said "injected a bit of ASM", I actually injected machine code.
Maybe I started with some misunderstanding?

If you wanted to state that VB isn't interpreted, but compiled, then (thanks God) you're simply right.
For me (and maybe for others?) it sounded, as if you also wanted to say something like that VB is, with respect to the created (= compiled) machine code, as powerful and flexible as other compiled languages. (Say: C or pascal or assembler or ... - I know these are different levels.) And I wouldn't believe this.

So maybe the only problem is that I (and others?) interpreted more into you words than you wanted to say? (For me this wasn't the first time I did, else I wouldn't have invented here...)
If I'm the only one to (mis)interpret your statements like this, it's just my problem - then just forget it :roll:
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:
admin wrote:
PeterH wrote:

Maybe I started with some misunderstanding?

If you wanted to state that VB isn't interpreted, but compiled, then (thanks God) you're simply right.
For me (and maybe for others?) it sounded, as if you also wanted to say something like that VB is, with respect to the created (= compiled) machine code, as powerful and flexible as other compiled languages. (Say: C or pascal or assembler or ... - I know these are different levels.) And I wouldn't believe this.

So maybe the only problem is that I (and others?) interpreted more into you words than you wanted to say? (For me this wasn't the first time I did, else I wouldn't have invented here...)
If I'm the only one to (mis)interpret your statements like this, it's just my problem - then just forget it :roll:
Well, the fact that I can use even machine code seems to show nicely what can be done with VB. The difference is that it is harder to do than with some other languages. Every language has its focus: it's better at some things than at others. Otherwise there would be no point in having different languages. The focus of VB is clearly on rapid development (I think I have shown that too in the last years). Nevertheless VB can "do" (= you can write source code to instruct the compiler to create machine code that does) even very low level things, but developing this is not that rapid -- it's actually very difficult -- but possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next beta:

Code: Select all

syntax: comparehash [algo=md5], [file=curfile]
        algo:     Hash algorithm; one of the following:
          md5:    MD5
          sha1:   SHA-1
          sha256: SHA-256.
                  NOTE: SHA-256 is NOT supported on all systems!!

:wink:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Next beta:

Code: Select all

syntax: comparehash [algo=md5], [file=curfile]
        algo:     Hash algorithm; one of the following:
          md5:    MD5
          sha1:   SHA-1
          sha256: SHA-256.
                  NOTE: SHA-256 is NOT supported on all systems!!

:wink:
Any comments to this or the new hash function? I don't achieve a 2000% speed gain every night... :)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Any comments to this or the new hash function? I don't achieve a 2000% speed gain every night... :)
It's working pretty good. The performance is comparable with HashTab. I assume it's not possible to run all 3 hashing algorithms concurrently and returning the output once the slowest completes?

P.S. Is SHA-512 a possibility? SHA-3 isn't due for another 2 years, so 512 is the best there is until then.
Last edited by zer0 on 18 Nov 2010 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:Any comments to this or the new hash function? I don't achieve a 2000% speed gain every night... :)
It's working pretty good. I assume it's not possible to run all 3 hashing algorithms concurrently and returning the output once the slowest completes?

P.S. Is SHA-512 a possibility? SHA-3 isn't due for another 2 years, so 512 is the best there is until then.
Yep, just added it. Does SHA-256 work on your system?

Your question: No. :)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
It's working pretty good. I assume it's not possible to run all 3 hashing algorithms concurrently and returning the output once the slowest completes?
Actually, it does not (using v.9.70.0025 on Win7 64-bit). SHA-1 and MD5 are fine though.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
Actually, it does not (using v.9.70.0025 on Win7 64-bit). SHA-1 and MD5 are fine though.
Oh, I expected it would work. :( THen SHA-512 won't work either I assume...