Zip support?

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Zip support?

Post by admin »

Stefan wrote:Just info collection.

An other file manager shows the "ok to clean up"-dialog (for execute actions, not for preview) at the end if i go outside the archive.

---------------------------
Information
Archive "X:\__TEST ZIP XYplorer\TEST .zip" is about to close. If you are still editing some files from this archive,
please save changes and close these files in editors now. Archive update will be offered in case of changes in edited files.
[OK]
[ ] Don't show this message again

If i had edited e.g. an TXT file i get an second dialog which show all edited files
where i can select those i want to update in the archive.
Hmm, "editing some files from this archive"... this is the kind of complication that dramatically reduces my zest for doing this ZIP support. Thanks for the info!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Other question: Password protected ZIPs?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Hmm, "editing some files from this archive"... this is the kind of complication that dramatically reduces my zest for doing this ZIP support. Thanks for the info!
Here's my quick thought: Provide just enough initial zip support (v1.0?) to match leading other freeware FM's and one main competitor (like x2?) and WE basically, and then see what response is...I wouldn't go full blast right away but do it in steps like other things have been...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Hmm, "editing some files from this archive"... this is the kind of complication that dramatically reduces my zest for doing this ZIP support. Thanks for the info!
Here's my quick thought: Provide just enough initial zip support (v1.0?) to match leading other freeware FM's and one main competitor (like x2?) and WE basically, and then see what response is...I wouldn't go full blast right away but do it in steps like other things have been...
But you know how it goes: Once I open the door a little I get stampeded by follow-up wishes. It never stops but it grows like an explosion. It's easier to stop this now and say: NO ZIP.

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

Being able to write archives within XY is not a priority for me. I think a real archiver is probably better suited for that, because it can involve actual options like compression methods and levels.

Being able to browse and extract from archives within XY on the other hand would be a great convenience.

Think of it as a simple read-only virtual folder that doesn't need to support any of the fancy stuff like the tree, history, favorites or catalog .. just plain browsing and extracting through drag'n'drop and copy out of the lister :).

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:But you know how it goes: Once I open the door a little I get stampeded by follow-up wishes. It never stops but it grows like an explosion. It's easier to stop this now and say: NO ZIP.
Yes, I do know how it goes...that's why I'm suggesting that you clearly define up-front what you would do and will not do and/or say that the topic is only open for discussion every 3-4 months or such...

Having been here for a few years, and seeing the repeated requests over that time, and also realizing that having a basic support of zip would be beneficial for marketing as it's one area that reviewers can still nick XY for, I do think that it's worth the effort to support it somewhat more than it is now but not worth doing as much as the most full zip featured competing FM.

You can help stop the flood by saying "here's what you get for now and that's all", I think...and we forum rats can back you up as needed.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will look at ZIP again in September. Now it's time for DOC, WPD, etc. preview.

tom_os

Post by tom_os »

Jibz wrote:Being able to browse and extract from archives within XY on the other hand would be a great convenience.

Think of it as a simple read-only virtual folder that doesn't need to support any of the fancy stuff like the tree, history, favorites or catalog .. just plain browsing and extracting through drag'n'drop and copy out of the lister :).
FWIW: another vote here for simply being able to browse and copy out of a zip folder.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

tom_os wrote:FWIW: another vote here for simply being able to browse and copy out of a zip folder.
Me too.
I very rarely had used this "update archive" feature. My intention was to provide ideas, not push improvements.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm quite optimistic that i can do browse and extract for ZIP and RAR in September. 8)

arirish

Post by arirish »

admin wrote:Well, I'm quite optimistic that i can do browse and extract for ZIP and RAR in September. 8)
Sorry if I'm raising the dead here, but I just saw this (haven't been on the forums in a long while), and got all giddy and excited. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, which is no problem, but is it still on the cards?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

the_hyrax_lord wrote:
admin wrote:Well, I'm quite optimistic that i can do browse and extract for ZIP and RAR in September. 8)
Sorry if I'm raising the dead here, but I just saw this (haven't been on the forums in a long while), and got all giddy and excited. Obviously it hasn't happened yet, which is no problem, but is it still on the cards?
Obviously I was too optimistic but it is still on the cards. Tags 2.0 and XYcopy 2.0 will come first.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Obviously I was too optimistic but it is still on the cards. Tags 2.0 and XYcopy 2.0 will come first.
Without wishing to speak for Don, I would say that this means that Zip/RAR support is very unlikely see the light of day before the end of the year. That is simply going by Don's earlier statement that XYcopy 2.0 is still a maybe to land in the next 3 months.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I've never needed built in support for archives, and I use XY all the time with them. Like Don said, with WinZip and WinRAR, the context menu gives me everything I need.

If you're using XY on a portable drive, you could always include an installer for WinZip or WinRAR, I suppose. But the truth is that every version of Windows since XP support Zip files through explorer, so you could always use that in a pinch.

But if that's not enough, what I would suggest is that you find a good command line archive tool, whether 7-Zip, or something else - and simply integrate that into XY via a script or custom command. That way, you get what you're looking for without XY needed to add extraneous and unnecessary features.

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

Mesh wrote:... without XY needed to add extraneous and unnecessary features.
XY has a makecoffee macro for crying out loud, I don't think we are being unreasonable here :mrgreen:.