shortcuts vs non-english keyboard

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Leopoldus

shortcuts vs non-english keyboard

Post by Leopoldus »

Many thanks for a new shortcut Ctrl++. But there is a little problem about it: key "+" resides at another key on non-english (e.g. scandinavian) standard keyboard. Is it possible to handle shortcuts differently depending on active keyboard?

admin
Site Admin

Re: shortcuts vs non-english keyboard

Post by admin »

So you want me to design the program with scandinavian laptops in mind? :lol: You must be tripping, man! :wink:
No, seriously, Ctrl++ was a obviously bad choice because "+" is one of the keys that shift position within the world of keyboards. Too bad. I think I just take it away, and leave you laptoppers with the dblclick on the splitter.

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

Oh, no, please!!! :cry:
Any shortcut is however much better than no one, isn't it? It is not so difficult for us to remember to press Control+´ instead of Control++.
But if you don't like Control++, so, have you any further plans for Ctrl+Q ("Quick View Panel" in mind)?

P.S.
Indeed I did not mean to make you to design your programm for scandinavian laptops, as Microisoft does. I thought olnly, that shortcut had to be connected to symbol emulated by key pressing in this given system, not with keyboard layout etc. Sorry, I'm not programmer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Leopoldus wrote:But if you don't like Control++, so, have you any further plans for Ctrl+Q ("Quick View Panel" in mind)?
Ctrl+Q is Exit (Quit the app) at the moment.
Leopoldus wrote:I thought olnly, that shortcut had to be connected to symbol emulated by key pressing in this given system, not with keyboard layout etc. Sorry, I'm not programmer.
That's a correct observation (you think like a programmer) -- I'm just researching the issue...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about Ctrl+L? (PaneL ... :wink: )

I like it and I'm even tempted to take it as the only one and remove Ctrl+Numpad+! Any objections out there?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I like the Ctrl+NumPad+ but since F12 displays the info panel how about Shift+F12?? (It does shift the size of the info panel).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I like the Ctrl+NumPad+ but since F12 displays the info panel how about Shift+F12?? (It does shift the size of the info panel).
This is weird: I remember that Shift+F12 was my first thought (as you say, it's just the perfect choice!), but then something made it impossible, but now I can't remember what! :evil: :roll: :evil:
I do some more meditation... if nothing comes up Shift+F12 is it!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

If there is a problem with Shift+F12 then Ctrl+F12 and use another key for Thumbnails. Ctrl+M (thuMbnails or even Miniature!!). Ctrl+S (Small) but I tend to thing of Ctrl+S as Save for almost all applications but it doesn't really apply to a file manager. F10 also appears to be free if you want a Function key for the thumbnails.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shift+F12 is perfect! I already built it in -- works great.

I'm inclined to remove the dblclick on the splitter, just to keep the program straight and tidy. There's no reason to keep it, right?

Manifold

Post by Manifold »

admin wrote:I'm inclined to remove the dblclick on the splitter, just to keep the program straight and tidy. There's no reason to keep it, right?
I personally like the feature, saves you clicking and dragging the preview bar to view bigger things. But that's just me being lazy...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I'd prefer to keep the double click on the splitter as well as Shift+F12, unless there is any good reason to remove it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I'd prefer to keep the double click on the splitter as well as Shift+F12, unless there is any good reason to remove it.
Why?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Because if I'm using the mouse to scroll an HTML document in the Info Panel it saves me having to return to the keyboard to minimise the panel when I want to see the file list and locate another file (also with the mouse). It also means I can have my cup of coffee in the other hand!!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:It also means I can have my cup of coffee in the other hand!!!!
Convinced!
Have you seen "Coffee and Cigarettes" by Jarmush, I recommend it!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

No. I'm not a great film fan, I suppose I spent too many years in the T.V. industry to enjoy either films or T.V. since all I do is end up seeing all the faults, and not watching the programme content.