Context menu of Find Files results does not show Windows ite

Features wanted...
nas8e9

Context menu of Find Files results does not show Windows ite

Post by nas8e9 »

A search didn't get me anywhere, so here goes:

When selecting multiple files with the same extension in the results pane of Find Files, only XYplorer's items are shown in the context menu; no Windows items, let alone shell extension items, are shown. That means that things like compression can't be used directly on the search results.

Is this by design and if so, is there any chance this might be changed at some point?

XYplorer 9.40.0104 / Windows 7 x64.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Context menu of Find Files results does not show Windows ite

Post by admin »

True. This is when the selected items are in different locations. The shell commands will not work correctly here -- this is the oldest, nastiest, and hardest-tried mystery of all the mysteries I ever met when developing this app. I know that Explorer handles it right, but nobody knows how it's done.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:True. This is when the selected items are in different locations. The shell commands will not work correctly here -- this is the oldest, nastiest, and hardest-tried mystery of all the mysteries I ever met when developing this app. I know that Explorer handles it right, but nobody knows how it's done.
At least I didn't miss any recent posts :). Thank you for the info.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:I know that Explorer handles it right, but nobody knows how it's done.
I don't mean to be unpleasant, but both Directory Opus (Tools > Find Panel) as well as xplorer2 (Tools > Find files) do manage to show search results from more than one folder with access to Windows and shell extension menu items in the context menu. Microsoft must have been leaking in the meantime...

If you'd like to slaughter an old enemy at some point... :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:I know that Explorer handles it right, but nobody knows how it's done.
I don't mean to be unpleasant, but both Directory Opus (Tools > Find Panel) as well as xplorer2 (Tools > Find files) do manage to show search results from more than one folder with access to Windows and shell extension menu items in the context menu. Microsoft must have been leaking in the meantime...

If you'd like to slaughter an old enemy at some point... :mrgreen:
I could show the items without problems. The question is whether they do the right thing when you click them.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:I could show the items without problems. The question is whether they do the right thing when you click them.
In limited testing, Directory Opus manages the Copy command (its own implementation) as well as feeding the WinRAR shell extension three files, each in a different folder, correctly.

If I understand you correctly, the problem lies in getting *all* non-XYplorer context menu items to work correctly on items in different folders. Is there a sharp delineation between Windows commands and shell extension commands or do some items from *both* groups fail?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:I could show the items without problems. The question is whether they do the right thing when you click them.
In limited testing, Directory Opus manages the Copy command (its own implementation) as well as feeding the WinRAR shell extension three files, each in a different folder, correctly.

If I understand you correctly, the problem lies in getting *all* non-XYplorer context menu items to work correctly on items in different folders. Is there a sharp delineation between Windows commands and shell extension commands or do some items from *both* groups fail?
Hard to say. I could give you a tweak (to show the shell commands) so that you can find out yourself. You want?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:

Hard to say. I could give you a tweak (to show the shell commands) so that you can find out yourself. You want?
If I could get WinRAR going this way, I'd have 90% already. Yes, please!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

...can this be applied to drag'n'drop context menu from pane to tree, also, Don, so I could have a partial solution for a few problems?
It seems to be the same related matters just on different contexts.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:...can this be applied to drag'n'drop context menu from pane to tree, also, Don, so I could have a partial solution for a few problems?
It seems to be the same related matters just on different contexts.
Forget it, totally different story...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:

If I could get WinRAR going this way, I'd have 90% already. Yes, please!
Well, it will not work probably, but I will let you find out yourself. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Well, it will not work probably, but I will let you find out yourself. :)
I won't document this anywhere else, so take a note now. This is your key in the next beta version:
AllowMultiLocShellMenu

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
admin wrote:Well, it will not work probably, but I will let you find out yourself. :)
I won't document this anywhere else, so take a note now. This is your key in the next beta version:
AllowMultiLocShellMenu
Thank you. Do you have any idea when this was originally discussed in the forum? That way, I can look at some old threads for background.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:
AllowMultiLocShellMenu
Thank you. Do you have any idea when this was originally discussed in the forum? That way, I can look at some old threads for background.
No idea really. I would search for these words: multiple locations shell context menu.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:Thank you. Do you have any idea when this was originally discussed in the forum? That way, I can look at some old threads for background.
No idea really. I would search for these words: multiple locations shell context menu.
Bingo.

Edited to add: Below are screenshots of Directory Opus's and xplorer2's shortcut menus when items from multiple folders are selected. I haven't tested whether all their commands work.
DirectoryOpusShortcutMenu.png
xplorer2ShortcutMenu.png
Technical notes:
- Windows 7 x64;
- 64-bit versions of both Directory Opus and xplorer2;
- 64-bit versions of WinRAR and 7-Zip.