Command to display everything including subfolder items?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
TsunamiZ

Command to display everything including subfolder items?

Post by TsunamiZ »

Anyone know if there is a command to display everything in a folder including subfolder items--all in the same view? So that even items within subfolders appear to be in the same folder as well?

serendipity

Re: Command to display everything including subfolder items?

Post by serendipity »

TsunamiZ wrote:Anyone know if there is a command to display everything in a folder including subfolder items--all in the same view? So that even items within subfolders appear to be in the same folder as well?
Yes, its called flat view in other file managers. In XY use "Show all items in branch" from edit menu (key:ctrl+f3).

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

serendipity wrote:...Yes, its called flat view in other file managers. In XY use "Show all items in branch" from edit menu (key:ctrl+f3).
This is not the same as branch (or flat) view, which are dynamic views, but "show all items in branch" is just a search.

TsunamiZ

Post by TsunamiZ »

but it is the only available option in xy right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TsunamiZ wrote:but it is the only available option in xy right?
What are you missing?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:What are you missing?
I don't know about TsunamiZ but for me it's the fact that it's static. I use branch view to list 30 to 40 directories, sort by date and then I can instantly see if any files are updated in any directory.
I thought this had been discussed some time ago, but I don't have time to search for the post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:What are you missing?
I don't know about TsunamiZ but for me it's the fact that it's static. I use branch view to list 30 to 40 directories, sort by date and then I can instantly see if any files are updated in any directory.
I thought this had been discussed some time ago, but I don't have time to search for the post.
XY is currently hard-coded to suspend auto-refresh for find results. Would be easy to change this conditionally. If that's all it takes...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

A little bit more than that...
Does not open is a separate tab. It simply flattens the directory that is selected in the open tab.
It's a toggle, same key to select and de-select, or Esc to de-select it.
Options are usually to show sub-directories and to have the files grouped by directory - I don't use either of these normally, just display a list of files.

One very useful feature is:
Scroll down the flattened list of files.
Having selected a file it is then possible to switch to the directory containing that file, then switch back to the flattened view.

However, since I don't use XY on a regular basis and have the flat view I require in other file managers, see what TsunamiZ requires.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:A little bit more than that...
Does not open is a separate tab. It simply flattens the directory that is selected in the open tab.
Options are usually to show sub-directories and to have the files grouped by directory - I don't use either of these normally, just display a list of files.

Having selected a file it is then possible to switch to the directory containing that file, then switch back to the flattened view.

However, since I don't use XY on a regular basis and have the flat view I require in other file managers, see what TsunamiZ requires.
OK, I see. I think it would take me half a day to make this a round and polished thing. So while it's not on my immediate road map now, it's a general option for the future.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

admin wrote:

OK, I see. I think it would take me half a day to make this a round and polished thing. So while it's not on my immediate road map now, it's a general option for the future.
I don't have used this "branch view" a lot - only a few test so far - so i didn't noticed really that is it "only" an search result.

But i would have an use for an real live branch view too:
- i have an share with sub-folders of logs.
- right now, i do switch to one or another sub folder to watch the logs
   (many thanks for "Tail"-option Don, really useful !)
- then i go up and go into an another folder to watch the logs there.

With this live branch view, i would like to select one-or-more sub folders
and show the content of this selected folders only... seeing all new logs - no matter from which sub folder.

(knowing a little bit now how Don works;
i can imaging he even implement an feature to create an list of independent folders to flat view them:
BranchViewList_NewCommissions:
T:\customer 1\new files
X:\customer 4\news

BranchViewList_InstallWatch:
%ProgramFiles%\
%SystemRoot%\
C:\Temp\
%Temp%\
...)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stefan wrote:
admin wrote:

I don't have used this "branch view" a lot - only a few test so far - so i didn't noticed really that is it "only" an search result.

But i would have an use for an real live branch view too:
- i have an share with sub-folders of logs.
- right now, i do switch to one or another sub folder to watch the logs
   (many thanks for "Tail"-option Don, really useful !)
- then i go up and go into an another folder to watch the logs there.

With this live branch view, i would like to select one-or-more sub folders
and show the content of this selected folders only... seeing all new logs - no matter from which sub folder.

(knowing a little bit now how Don works;
i can imaging he even implement an feature to create an list of independent folders to flat view them:
BranchViewList_NewCommissions:
T:\customer 1\new files
X:\customer 4\news

BranchViewList_InstallWatch:
%ProgramFiles%\
%SystemRoot%\
C:\Temp\
%Temp%\
...)
Reminds me to those Win7 "Lbraries". Vaguely planned as part of my VFOs. Later...

cadu

Post by cadu »

Hi,

I'm posting in this thread since it was the closest I found about the branch views.

Actually, my question is about the search output "show all items in branch", and the functionality "branch view" (image attached).

It seems that the functionality "branch view" performs something similar to "show all items in branch", and much more. In other words, there is no use for "show all items in branch" against the "branch view". Does it make sense?

Thank you!
Attachments
XYplorer_Branch vs 2019-04-17_16-16.png
XYplorer_Branch vs 2019-04-17_16-16.png (171.89 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

Well each item does perform slightly different functions, normal "Branch View" obeys your settings set via:

Configuration | Find and Filter | Find Files & Branch View | Branch View

so for example you can exclude folders from showing, adjust indents etc. as shown in your first screenshots menu, meanwhile the other option shows all items (besides those hidden via other means) always etc.