Forest for the trees!

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
SkyFrontier

Forest for the trees!

Post by SkyFrontier »

I lost a tree... or it simply doesn't exist?
Can't find a way to define a layout in order to have dual tree. As a researcher, it's a nightmare to manage files in a dual pane vs single tree config!
That means: constantly moving files to wrong folders, deleting files from the wrong places when comparing folders, duplicating files all over the place when using "backup to" function! Can anyone help, please?
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

zer0

Re: Forest for the trees!

Post by zer0 »

SkyFrontier wrote:I lost a tree... or it simply doesn't exist?
Can't find a way to define a layout in order to have dual tree. As a researcher, it's a nightmare to manage files in a dual pane vs single tree config!
That means: constantly moving files to wrong folders, deleting files from the wrong places when comparing folders, duplicating files all over the place when using "backup to" function! Can anyone help, please?
It doesn't exist and last time I heard Don's opinion on this it wasn't on his cards.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

SkyFrontier wrote: Can anyone help, please?
I would also point you to this recent thread that was quite similar (which you could have found via "dual tree" search, BTW)...and which then itself points to the main thread for this discussion:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4466

Can't recall which thread is which so here's another pointer:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 179#p40179
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:I lost a tree... or it simply doesn't exist?
Never happens to me. But maybe I'm not a researcher then.

No there is no 2nd tree in XY. But, there's the Catalog. Depending on your work you can make it your 2nd tree...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks for the reply, people.
Admin said: "A glance on my roadmap should suffice for a reasonable man to forget about schnickschnack like dual tree. There's real good stuff waiting to be done..." - I can't see the point (no offense!) of prioritizing Find Dupes and Folder Synch while the basics can't be done. The basic for a file manager is reliably manage files, period. I am letting some work colleagues use XY in dual pane mode and they just reproduce what I experience:

-tree becoming too long to deal with (we've tried your mini-tree feature, but its uncomfortable to the average Joe; I like it very much!)
-accidental deletion of files -shift+del, usually, thus leading to a complicated file recovering operation
-multiplication of files mistakenly copied to heaven knows where - we are finding files and working with them as if they were originals when they in fact are just copies, making multiple asynced versions of documents
-(matter of personal taste) I would like to be able to swap the whole set of tabs from top to bottom in a single click, as we have a routine to always keep on top the source of files and sometimes we stumble upon a file/source of files that quickly need to be copied/updated.
When operating with DirOpus, PowerDesk and ShellLess, they (we!) feel a lot more confident once we can have more visual control over what we are doing where. It's clear that top tree is source, bottom tree is destination. When one of the trees come very large due to expanding, we just need to collapse and voilá - ready to go! Problem is that I'm trying to sell them the idea of XY being a lot more convenient due to scripting/tagging, and having collected some useful sripts I can show them that day after day.

My hope is:
* Note: This "roadmap" is not a binding promise in any sense. It's just to give you an idea of my todo-list.

Admin also wrote: "But, there's the Catalog. Depending on your work you can make it your 2nd tree..." As pointed above, it's clear that Catalog will not do the job. Once we are getting used to the CKS (Custom Keyboard Shortcut) system combined with scripting, the only function we see in Catalog is that it is handy for opening files with alternate applications (.rtf files being opened with Wordpad instead of heavy weight MS Office - office machines are sloooow...) and I'm considering to replace that with POM (Portable... Opening... something, excuse me), so Catalog is a dead option (please give bearings on what you had in mind considering the mentioned scenario).
So options are:
-DirOpus - expensive, a bit complicated for the office people
-ShellLess - basic, has some bugs on W2K machines now and then
-PowerDesk 4 - free!, veeeeery basic, reliable
-XYplorer - perfect!, no second tree, I lost the time frame to get promo licenses... =(

XYplorer author could also add second tree as a Pro only feature, for I see it as a benefit (mainly) to the office workers which will probably have their work licenses paid for the companies. Personally I consider buying a Pro license myself, but second tree is a sine qua non condition, as important as budget. =)
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

I saw someone mentioning the use of two instances of XYplorer to emulate dual tree. Well... "Move/Copy to another tab" is a nice feature, and a deal breaker is the fact that we work on 1024x768 screen resolution. Despite XY having a clean interface, its upper part still occupies much on screen.