Constant Crashes

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
DeadSerious
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jan 2010 07:17

Constant Crashes

Post by DeadSerious »

I'm in the trial period, and I really like the program, but I keep having intermittent crashes, sometimes as many as four or five in an hour. I searched the forum, and saw a suggestion to turn off refresh, which I did, but no joy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? As much as I like the program, I can't see using something that crashes that much.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It only seems to happen, though, when I'm using some other open program. The other program itself doesn't seem to matter as far as I can tell.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Given that we've not seen any other significant reports of this by our regulars who use XY heavily, we need to determine what is unique about your situation...first, how about which XY vers and OS?

Second, can you minimize the nbr of other pgms/apps/services/processes that are running at same time to see how that affects it? There has over time been cases of another app or driver (like video) causing XY to crash so by attempting to isolate XY a bit may help pinpoint the cause...if XY runs fine in a more minimal setup, then it's not likely that it's the cause, but may more the 'victim'.

Personally, I've been running XY all the time my sys is on (12+ hrs a day) and haven't had a XY crash for many months.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

DeadSerious
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jan 2010 07:17

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by DeadSerious »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm using the latest version of XY(8.80) with Windows XP. I think it likely IS the 'victim,' as you said. I'm just hoping to track down the problem, as I'd like to purchase the program, but not if it continually crashes on me. One other thing--I also tried emulating the home edition in the configuration, to see if it was one of those features that was involved. No luck there.

I'll try minimizing running programs and see what happens. It's so intermittent, though, it's hard to tell. Sometimes I can get through a day with only a couple; other times, I'll get half a dozen in the space of an hour or two.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by j_c_hallgren »

DeadSerious wrote:I'll try minimizing running programs and see what happens. It's so intermittent, though, it's hard to tell. Sometimes I can get through a day with only a couple; other times, I'll get half a dozen in the space of an hour or two.
Another approach is when you're having the frequent crashes: Document what is running and then close/eliminate other apps one at a time, and then run for a while with one less each time, until the crashes hopefully subside..
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Lare2
Posts: 65
Joined: 18 Sep 2006 08:29

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by Lare2 »

Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials by any chance. ?

DeadSerious
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jan 2010 07:17

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by DeadSerious »

Lare2 wrote:Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials by any chance. ?
Not that I'm aware of. I didn't install them, and there's no listing for them in add/remove. Could they have been installed as part of something else?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by j_c_hallgren »

DeadSerious wrote:
Lare2 wrote:Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials by any chance. ?
Not that I'm aware of. I didn't install them, and there's no listing for them in add/remove. Could they have been installed as part of something else?
From what I've heard (I don't have it myself), you'd certainly know it if you had it! It's M$ vers of anti-virus and such.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

DeadSerious
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jan 2010 07:17

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by DeadSerious »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
DeadSerious wrote:
Lare2 wrote:Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials by any chance. ?
Not that I'm aware of. I didn't install them, and there's no listing for them in add/remove. Could they have been installed as part of something else?
From what I've heard (I don't have it myself), you'd certainly know it if you had it! It's M$ vers of anti-virus and such.
Then, no--don't have them. I thought maybe they might have been installed as part of an update or something.

Lare2
Posts: 65
Joined: 18 Sep 2006 08:29

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by Lare2 »

I asked because XYplorer was crashing on me a lot for some time and never understood the reason behind it. Then suddenly remembered that all started since I changed AV to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ever since i reverted back to Avira AV the crashes haven't appeared. I was just wondering because of my own experience.

ogroeger
Posts: 92
Joined: 03 Jul 2007 07:39

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by ogroeger »

Interesting finding about the AV. But i don't think that is the only reason. That would be to simple. I have two Windows systems and XY crashes on both. One XPSP3 with Kaspersky 8 and a one Win7/64 with Kaspersky 9. Once i demonstrated XY in the company where we use F-Secure on a Vista system. THAT was a disaster. Crash every few minutes. Even when it was unused in the background. Using Beyond Compare's shell extension crashed it reproducible. When i tried Beyond compare at home i found no problem with it. That's the problem. I never found a way to reproduce a crash, and a i really took time to determine it.

My last crashes were
  • Right click a wmv file in the listview, then Open in Windows Media player
  • Double click a directory in the listview
  • Double click the winsxs directory in the listview
  • Right click in the listview, than browse through the context menu
One finding that i had was that after doing a clean reinstallation the number of crashes decreased significantly. In my opinion the crashes are related to a combination of reasons which makes it so hard to analyze. I think the first action would be to collect more data on crashes, either by a some crash handler that collects data when the application crashes, or by a feedback form. Btw, XP writes MiniDumps when XY crashes. Can they help?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49999
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by admin »

ogroeger wrote:Interesting finding about the AV. But i don't think that is the only reason. That would be to simple. I have two Windows systems and XY crashes on both. One XPSP3 with Kaspersky 8 and a one Win7/64 with Kaspersky 9. Once i demonstrated XY in the company where we use F-Secure on a Vista system. THAT was a disaster. Crash every few minutes. Even when it was unused in the background. Using Beyond Compare's shell extension crashed it reproducible. When i tried Beyond compare at home i found no problem with it. That's the problem. I never found a way to reproduce a crash, and a i really took time to determine it.

My last crashes were
  • Right click a wmv file in the listview, then Open in Windows Media player
  • Double click a directory in the listview
  • Double click the winsxs directory in the listview
  • Right click in the listview, than browse through the context menu
One finding that i had was that after doing a clean reinstallation the number of crashes decreased significantly. In my opinion the crashes are related to a combination of reasons which makes it so hard to analyze. I think the first action would be to collect more data on crashes, either by a some crash handler that collects data when the application crashes, or by a feedback form. Btw, XP writes MiniDumps when XY crashes. Can they help?
Interesting. Why do I never have crashes? Well, for once I don't use any virus scanner.

So, which virus scanner should I install to have the best chance to have XY crash? It will be probably easy to fix once I can see it happen here.

PS: MiniDumps don't help me.
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Interesting. Why do I never have crashes? Well, for once I don't use any virus scanner.
I also don't have any AV here...and my shell extensions are quite limited...they seemed to be the culprit at least a couple of times before here, from what I recall.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

mwb1100
Posts: 208
Joined: 19 May 2007 06:20

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by mwb1100 »

admin wrote: PS: MiniDumps don't help me.
Are you sure? If nothing else they should be able to tell you what shell extension DLLs have been loaded into the instance of XY that crashed, and possibly point directly to the DLL as the cause of the crash - I'd think that would be helpful information.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49999
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by admin »

mwb1100 wrote:
admin wrote: PS: MiniDumps don't help me.
Are you sure? If nothing else they should be able to tell you what shell extension DLLs have been loaded into the instance of XY that crashed, and possibly point directly to the DLL as the cause of the crash - I'd think that would be helpful information.
I was thinking about the crashes when XY is in the background. Also I never cared for MiniDumps -- no idea how to read them
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

DeadSerious
Posts: 18
Joined: 05 Jan 2010 07:17

Re: Constant Crashes

Post by DeadSerious »

Okay, I was doing fairly well with it today, then had the first crash. I had recently started Power DVD and Internet Explorer. I did notice two things. 1) IE was using a large amount of CPU power immediately after the crash. (is it possible that adobe's flash player could have something to do with this? I did install a new version recently, and have noticed some issues with it, although mostly on Firefox.) and 2) my DVD drive is a Blu-ray. Could the UDF business have something to do with XY crashing? That is, something to do with reading the disk in the Drive?

Anyway, I'll keep trying. I only have 20 days left in my trial period, so I hope I can figure it out by then. And thanks for the continuing help!

Post Reply