HowTo execute POM without any file selected?

Features wanted...
Stefan

HowTo execute POM without any file selected?

Post by Stefan »

That's fine:
I am using >POM< (click for info) to open files with associated apps.

Issue:
BUT if I am using POM
to just launch an app +|"Launch &Boxer " \;*>::run "<xypath>\..\Boxer\b.exe"
or e.g. creating new items via +|"NewItems>>" \;*>::#240;
AND no file is selected, i get this message only: "XYplorer , Nothing selected in the file list. ,OK "

Question:
Is there an option to disable this message, and execute POM without any file selected?

If not i wanna suggest this, maybe as optional ini tweak?

Maybe there could/should be an additional POM-parameter as like '\' for folders and '*' for all file types?
I mean smtg like '#' to show this POM items even if no file is selected.
So, perhaps, i would use: +|"NewItems>>" #\;*>::#240; to see an POM on all file types, on folders and also if nothing is selected.

Just an Idea..., maybe i have overseen something?

admin
Site Admin

Re: HowTo execute POM without any file selected?

Post by admin »

POM works on something by definition. It does not make much sense to "open nothing with something". Or do you want to take the current folder as item to be opened with something?

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Examples what i want to do are listed in my first post. I try to explain again:

a)
I think i am using POM as alternative to Catalog or CTB.
I open something for nothing: just to launch an app, or open WinEx with <curpath>

b)
I use POM to call "create new items" #230 / #240
and so i don't need to have to select any file or folder for that issue (well, not as long i want not to re-use curname)

BUT so often i click in an pane to focus them
(while working on the left monitor, i click on the right monitor on XY into an pane)
- and execute POM - but i just get this message instead of the POM -> i have first to select smtg

So i often do this:
1)exec POM
2)OKing the msg
3)sel smtg i doesn't need at all, just to please POM
4)exec POM again

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I think you actually abuse POM. It would not be friendly to the non-abusive user if I'd support this. :)

Using Scripting + UDC you can easily build the same functionality without POM.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

:D Well, I think... i will better live with that msg than :wink:

Thanks.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

...wondering if Stefan wants a way to get rid of that message and having an easier way to associate non-associated files, permanently or not... I missed something like that, recently. Mostly to try and compare portable apps' releases (FoxIt Reader), for instance, and decide which one would be best to work inside XYplorer's apps portable folder.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:POM works on something by definition. It does not make much sense to "open nothing with something". Or do you want to take the current folder as item to be opened with something?
"open nothing with something"
Isn't this alike "open something for nothing (special)"? Couldn't this make some sense?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:...wondering if Stefan wants a way to get rid of that message and having an easier way to associate non-associated files, permanently or not... I missed something like that, recently. Mostly to try and compare portable apps' releases (FoxIt Reader), for instance, and decide which one would be best to work inside XYplorer's apps portable folder.
You can use * to associate all non-associated files, e.g.:

Code: Select all

|*>UEdit32
|"WinMerge (clip / cur)" *;\>"C:\Programme\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" "<item1>" "<clipboard>"

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Can someone please explain the above

|*>UEdit32
|"WinMerge (clip / cur)" *;\>"C:\Programme\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" "<item1>" "<clipboard>"

code so I can see the benefits of using it on non-associated files? Will this permanently associate ALL non-associated files to "WinMergeU.exe", for instance? Or just for the time when this code is activated via POM? Thanks!
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

SkyFrontier wrote:Can someone please explain the above

|*>UEdit32

code so I can see the benefits of using it on non-associated files?
It's just for your convenience, so you don't have to define all that possible file types, like:
|txt;log;pas;cpp;html;etc>UEdit32
so the '*' in *>UEdit32 is just an joker to fit for just all types
and also that it's works even for file types you just have not think of while creating this POM entry.

Will this permanently associate ALL non-associated files to "WinMergeU.exe", for instance?
Or just for the time when this code is activated via POM? Thanks!
This is just XYplorer inside thing. Not an permanently associate with your windowsTM OS.
If you launch POM, XY checks the extension and provide you an list of pre-defined possible actions.
So, yes, it's JIT.

So just create an POM like
|"Open PDF with FoxIt Reader" pdf>"path\FoxIt Reader.exe"

HTH :wink:

Info about PFA/POM, read it so you know all about the POM features:
http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Po ... sociations
http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.10.htm

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks, Stefan.
But...

|*>UEdit32

Could it be one liner?

|*>UEdit32 |"WinMerge (clip / cur)" *;\>"C:\Programme\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" "<item1>" "<clipboard>"

What (clip / cur) means? Comments?
Same goes to "<item1>" "<clipboard>" - will it open such WinMerge and auto paste clipboard contents into it?
Is UEdit32 a simple lable or another app itself?

(And yes, I am reading History.txt to guess what's what and who's who!)

The section

+ Portable Openwith Menu: Now, you can define associations that
should only be listed in the POM, but not be triggered on "open".
It's done by simply prefixing the | (pipe) character to the PFA.
For example, this allows you to have this PFA enabled and listed
in the POM:
|exe;dll>::copytext <curname> <curver>
while double-clicking an EXE file will still run the EXE, and
*not* the PFA.
In the PFA dialog, prefixed (= POM-only) items are shown in color
"Marked Text 2" (see Configuration | Interface Colors).

seems quite useful, but it's yet cryptic to me once it refers other features I still am not familiar with.

Not that I am trying to master XY being just a newbie. I am in fact trying to translate those features into a user friendly language, so the average Joe can quickly see benefits out of the box.

My goal is to expand my so called New User's Reference Guide into a project which aims to develop a comprehensive documentation (ala XYplorer for Dummies), and I think this will give Don the paying audience he DESERVES for all his efforts, day after day as we can see out of History.txt. CoolFeats_SeeAlsoHTMs.txt is an uploaded file posted here that can give an idea on features to be highlighted, and real world situations can guide Scripters to actively elaborate and compile/comment tools so one could say: "Hey, I NEED THAT in my job!", instead of stating something similar to above mentioned "Portable Openwith Menu" - and that's NOT a script section! - which to me seems useful but currently (question of minutes, hours...?) unavailable. My fault, of course - but like me there are tons of other users out there who want something that "just do it". That's the principle on Windows and the reason why it surpassed IBM in its times.

The more I use the tool, the more I *love* it (despite being lost around a single tree, which seems to be a taboo topic in here - http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 50&start=0). Being not a programmer/coder, I was able to put fears aside and get pieces around to build some simple scripts which saved my skin lightining fast. A programmable file manager? Built-in programming language on top of a Windows Explorer replacement? WOW!!! How come...?

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

SkyFrontier wrote:Thanks, Stefan.
But...

|*>UEdit32

Could it be one liner?

|*>UEdit32 |"WinMerge (clip / cur)" *;\>"C:\Programme\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" "<item1>" "<clipboard>"
No, no one-liner. This are two separate commands, that's why there are two lines, one for each command.

What (clip / cur) means? Comments?
Right, just description to show what this POM does.
"(clip / cur)" itself is an comment referring to the command "<item1>" "<clipboard>"

Perhaps you see it better by switching clip/cur to
cur/clip
"<item1>" "<clipboard>"
You see now the relationship ?

Here is an comment from the wiki:
http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Po ... sociations
The general syntax to define PFA is very easy :
first define how to identify the items for which this PFA will be used,
then the symbol >
and the application to use with the corresponding items.
In other words, it looks something like this: item>application
item>application
"WinMerge (clip / cur)" *;\>"C:\Programme\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe" "<item1>" "<clipboard>"

An leading '|' -symbol means "don't act/execute on double click or enter, just show it in POM"
*;\ means to which file types this PFA should be associated. Here to all file types "*"
and to all folders "\"

Same goes to "<item1>" "<clipboard>"
- will it open such WinMerge and auto paste clipboard contents into it?
No, no pasting. The app is launched with two arguments. With two files. One is the current item in XY, the other is an path currently on the clipboard.
See here the wiki for an list of XY variables: http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Sc ... _Variables

Is UEdit32 a simple lable or another app itself?
UEdit32 is the executable of UltraEdit text editor.
UEdit32 is registered in the registrys "App Path" section to allow easy launching of this app.
Try opening an DOS-Box and type in 'notepad' and press ENTER. You see?. It's the same basic behaviour.

The rest of your post i have not read yet due bad formating... not easy to read this for me... english isn't my mother language. (but in german i wouldn't love it either)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@SkyFrontier:

The change log (History.txt) is not meant for normal users / newbies. I'm aware that it hardly makes a lot of sense to them. It's for insiders and regulars of the XYplorer Beta Club. And it's my own primary source from which I write the help file and the web site texts.

BTW, a manual for newbies should have LOTS of screenshots. Which is always a problem with XY because it develops so fast that updating screenshots gets a nuisance.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks again, Stefan! Had to play a bit to see things working.